I, Tonya (2017 Biographical Film)  » Movies  »
4.7
  • This movie is made to tell Tonya's story, from her side, to show us how the events of the incident unfolded - how her upbringing affected her future, and how she got caught in the bad side by surrounding herself from people that's bound to ruin her
  • One of the more interesting aspects of I, Tonya is the fact that it didn't just focus on the incident
  • I particularly like the mockumentary approach that the film takes, it's like it is making fun of her characters, and to show the contradicting interviews that Tonya and her husband gave to the media
  • In fact I think this is the kind of movie where I love the performances more than I love the movie itself
  • I felt sorry for her, and I think that's what the film wants you to feel

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

Tonya Harding was the subject of one of the most controversial events of figure skating history. She was accused of cheating her way to the US Olympic Team in the 1994 Winter Olympics by taking part of attacking her opponent Nancy Kerrigan. It became a really big controversy that disabled her to do professional skating again for the rest of her life. This movie is made to tell Tonya’s story, from her side, to show us how the events of the incident unfolded - how her upbringing affected her future, and how she got caught in the bad side by surrounding herself from people that’s bound to ruin her.
  • I, Tonya (2017 Biographical Film)
  • One of the more interesting aspects of I, Tonya is the fact that it didn’t just focus on the “incident”. Perhaps the storytellers understood that the audience needed to see her whole life before the event that caused her downfall - to better understand her. I particularly like the “mockumentary” approach that the film takes, it’s like it is making fun of her characters, and to show the contradicting interviews that Tonya and her husband gave to the media. This style is however, sometimes overdone. It goes to the point that it becomes really annoying. The occasional breaking of the fourth wall - where actors directly speak to the camera - doesn’t also feel necessary because you already have actors narrating in their interviews.

• I, Tonya (2017 Biographical Film)
  • Margot Robbie takes the role of Tonya Harding. She’s best known for her Harley Quinn portrayal in Suicide Squad. In fact there’s quite a quick homage to that character in this movie, one where Tonya bats Nancy Kerrigan in an obviously fake scene. Margot Robbie continues to impress, this is her transition to a more “serious” actress, and her performance should be seriously taken for this. Not quite “transformative” but she makes a really believable Tonya Harding. In this she shows her acting range. There is a part in the movie where the camera directly looks at her for a minute and her emotion unfolds before us - one of the most impressive this year.

• I, Tonya (2017 Biographical Film)
  • Robbie is not the only one who gives a very strong performance. An array of supporting cast also gives noteworthy performances. In fact I think this is the kind of movie where I love the performances more than I love the movie itself. The actors and actresses are just so good that sometimes I forgot I’m watching them perform. Sebastian Stan surprised me as Margot’s husband. He plays a dual character that is very hard to pull off but somehow he did, he is scary when he needs too and charming when Tonya needs him to be. The most surprising I guess is Paul Walter Hauser who plays Tonya’s bodyguard. I’m not seeing an actor at all, it’s like he’s just being there and I’m watching how a real dumb person reacts in front of a camera. He’s a natural talent.

• I, Tonya (2017 Biographical Film)
  • The most talked-about performance though, is Allison Janney as Tonya’s mom. She is just so evil and Janney captures that perfectly. She’s the worst mom you could ever imagine, her tantalizing looks are undoubtedly wicked. Janney doesn’t even care to be hated as a villain, she just does whatever what was given to her without hesitation and turned into something powerful and unforgettable.

• I, Tonya (2017 Biographical Film)
  • For director Craig Gillespie to be able to carve these performances from his actors must be a real triumph. Besides the spotty CGI that makes the ice skating look fake, the only other complain I could give to this movie is that it changes perspective without warning. Yes, I know that it’s based in contradiction but most of the time the movie just switches between Tonya’s perspective to his husband’s. And there is no clear distinction between the two, which makes it jarring and confusing.

What this film achieves is incredible. It sympathizes with Tonya and shows us how she is just caught up in an “incident” that’s not entirely her fault. How she has to give up the only thing she knew in her entire life because of the wrongdoings of people surrounding her. I felt sorry for her, and I think that’s what the film wants you to feel. If you haven’t seen this kindly check it out while it is in theaters. It is a really wild and crazy ride about Tonya, very enjoyable and something to ponder upon after watching.

lolita777 says :

After the holidays, the name of this film and this name (by the way, my great-grandmother’s name was Antonina, that is, Tonia, shortly), my eyes were soothed. I wanted to see right away, then I decided that I would do it when the excitement was settled. And then came the hands. To the comedy lasted as much as 2 hours - it’s still to look. But this really turned out to be a comedy, sometimes with a black humor, some share of vulgarity, but exactly in the amount to give the dish the necessary sharp taste. And all this is about a real person. You must admit, a very porous mixture.

And these 2 hours passed for me unnoticed. Despite the idiomatic expression Tonina mother, as well as the heroine, which I do not like in ordinary comedies, it was “to cheer ”

So, noticing the propensity of his daughter to skate and having discovered in her a strong desire to learn, Tony’s mom gives her into professional hands. All would be anything, but this family has its own characteristics.

If you really appreciate this athlete, then it was from the point of view of others not quite “correct”. And it’s not about the orientation that they like to wave in American films, like a red rag. With her, then everything is normal. The matter is in the social stratum, to which Tonya belonged. Judging by the film, an occupation such as figure skating is far from affordable for everyone. Coach, skates, maybe tutors on school subjects, which most likely will have to pull up, costumes …

Considering that the girl’s mother was a waitress (if you believe the film) - it’s hard not to run up. But this very layer left a mark on the young talent. No wonder the coach says that the girl sometimes looks like “firewood chopping in the morning.”

By the way, the real Tonya after the career of the figure skater tried herself in boxing. Think about it, someone is going to sing, like our Semyonovich, and this one is still in the boxing room. It really is a comedy, only a life.

I liked 2 young actresses, who were picked to show the heroine in 4 and it seems in 10 years. Apparently, the girl’s natural charm was still there. It was the right thing to choose an actress for the period of 15 years, too. And then I see quite an adult aunt on the ice, and I am informed that here she is … 15 years old? And there, excuse me, such a horse is rushing along the ice …

I liked that there were touching moments. As for example the scene of how the father left the family. Here the girl these couple of minutes played just fine, for nothing that little one. I really felt sorry for her, that I forgot that I watch comedy.

Or an episode with a knife. And there are many such in the whole picture.

Maman at the girl - a separate entertaining copy. In the beginning, I thought it was just cruel, then I realized that it was her method and the desire to give her daughter a better life than she has. Given her nature. Just some people are ready to turn mountains when they are angry. I do not think that it works with everyone.

In the end, it’s even offensive for Tonya. She clearly had a desire to ride, but what she was, not everyone liked. What brought her to a reckless act.

I do not know how things are on the ice in this sense, I want to believe that it’s better. Although, it is not necessary to go far. There are enough injustices in sport.

The film turned out to be interesting, and not like the usual sports history.
I’m not sure that the actress, with all her talent in the field of cinema, skated herself. But I wonder how it was done, that everything looked very cool and natural.

As for me (and I climbed on the Internet and looked at this girl’s skating), then everything like that of many American women in this sport. Feels the technique itself (doing all sorts of “sheepskin coats”, etc.), but here the artistic component and artistry really limp. I compare with our girls. Gracefully hold your hand in the air at Tony - “get off”. And much more, too. There is no such thing that on the ice you see directly a story and is fascinated by it. So … maybe that … it’s not so unfair to her estimates to be understated? Although the primacy in some parts of the elements does not take away - there’s a fine fellow.

Nikjan27 says :

re : This movie is made to tell Tonya’s story, from her side, to show us how the events of the incident unfolded - how her upbringing affected her future, and how she got caught in the bad side by surrounding herself from people that’s bound to ruin her
I just saw the film and at the end I was really sorry for her. I couldn’t help but wonder what the turnout would have been like had there been social media back then. Because back then we didn’t have anything much than what the news media feed us and what I remember was that Nancy Kerrigan was beautiful and she was the victim, and Tonya wasn’t the pretty one and there was competition between them so she did something to get rid of her. It really seemed that she was the mastermind because of this competition between them. But from the movie it wasn’t even that. It was more of a struggle between her and the figure skating association who didn’t see Tonya as the darling of their sport, and her own personal struggles with her mother and husband. She seemed really nice, so it was very unfortunate.

Alexander says :

re : I felt sorry for her, and I think that’s what the film wants you to feel
There is a difference in someone wanting you to feel sorry for them and someone telling their story people always exaggerate a little but this woman went through some of the most hated and prejudice things that a woman athlete could ever go through in her career.

Nicole B. says :

re : I felt sorry for her, and I think that’s what the film wants you to feel
I do believe she wasn’t involved in the conspiracy. This movie shows how much others brought her down. She trusted too much.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2018. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 114011661871031/k2311a014/1.4.18