Chasing Coral (2017 Netflix Documentary Film)
  • I have never been a fan of documentary films before
  • But since the time I decided to really immerse myself in different films, I have learned that movies should have no boundaries
  • The result of this self-induced process is me finding out the best documentaries of the year and immediately stumbled upon one of Netflix's most critically-acclaimed docu-films called Chasing Coral
  • Little did I know that this documentary film is entirely something else, something that could provoke so many strong emotions inside me
  • All in all, I have cried a lot of tears for this movie, for I can feel the ache of losing something so beautiful - something that is really captured here

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

I have never been a fan of documentary films before. But since the time I decided to really immerse myself in different films, I have learned that movies should have no boundaries. That I should take away my preferences and just watch about everything. The result of this self-induced process is me finding out the best documentaries of the year and immediately stumbled upon one of Netflix’s most critically-acclaimed docu-films called “Chasing Coral”.
  • Chasing Coral (2017 Netflix Documentary Film)
  • As someone who spent my entire childhood at the seaside, the ocean waters become part of me. I became obsessed with the calmness of the sea, seeing the fishes in crystal clear waters as if there’s nothing to threaten their harmonious living beneath the aqua blue. So part of me got excited when I saw this in Netflix. It’s been a long 7 years since I last made a trip to the ocean, and this is my ticket to what it feels like to bath underneath it.

Little did I know that this documentary film is entirely something else, something that could provoke so many strong emotions inside me.

• Chasing Coral (2017 Netflix Documentary Film)
  • See the film really started so beautifully. The makers of this movie explained thoroughly what corals are - a topic that my biology professor back in high school failed to even touch. It is kind of amazing how simple things like “corals” could be so intrinsically complex. Every time I think of corals all I could associate with them is that they are where small fishes reside. But they are definitely more than that - and this film will take you to a beautiful journey underneath the sea; the colors have never been so beautiful, and the world beneath has never felt so homey.

• Chasing Coral (2017 Netflix Documentary Film)
  • But the film takes a complete 180 degree turn once it touches on the issues that are affecting our corals. After realizing that global warming results to the “bleaching” of corals, the filmmakers decide to go to areas around the globe to capture this event. Little did they know they are capturing the death of something so beautiful. I have never been so affected by a sea creature in my entire life. I almost wanted to cry. I can feel the pain that these corals are suffering. The way they basically “glow” before dying is one of this year’s most beautiful moments in film.

• Chasing Coral (2017 Netflix Documentary Film)
  • This film evokes so many emotions. It made me hate how our human effort in accelerating global warming at a rapid pace causes so many tragedies to creatures. I can tell that the filmmakers are really dedicated in showing to the world how our selfish actions have caused the death of one of the most amazing sea wonders. And if we don’t take actions then one day our children will no longer experience this real beauty under the sea.

• Chasing Coral (2017 Netflix Documentary Film)
  • I hope there are ways we can reverse our actions. Because if you are looking for a proof that global warming indeed exists, look no further than this film. This is really well-shot. The underwater scenes are really gorgeous, an amazing trip to the shallow waters that will make you miss the sea. And the real world issues presented here are really engaging, makes you wonder how you yourself can contribute to lessen the effects that we are causing to the environment.

All in all, I have cried a lot of tears for this movie, for I can feel the ache of losing something so beautiful - something that is really captured here. It’s true, what lies below reveals what lies ahead. If these massive deaths of corals are real indications that our world is indeed rapidly warming than before, then it would be a really dull future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 117121661530731/k2311a127/12.7.17