Bulletproof Sleep Induction Mat - For Improving Sleep and Alleviating Stress-Related Muscle Pain  » Health  »
  • I have been most intrigued by the concept of the Sleep Induction Mat and after careful contemplation I purchased it on Amazon in August 2017 for $40.00
  • While initially unpleasant, within a minute the sensation transitioned from mild pain to a subtle warming and tingling sensation that was surprisingly pleasant
  • I lasted for the recommended twenty minutes and can honestly say I felt immediate results
  • For anyone considering acupuncture for similar reasons, I strongly suggest trying the Sleep Induction Mat first

by Casey Van de Walle

This Sleep Induction Mat is manufactured by Bulletproof - the same person/entity behind the famous “Bulletproof Diet.”

Advertised benefits include: -Fall asleep faster -Upgraded sleep quality -Muscle relaxation -Energy increase -Supports healthy endorphin and oxytocin release -Maintains healthy levels of stress

The product measures approximately 18″ wide by 31″ long and weighs about 1.5 pounds.

• Bulletproof Sleep Induction Mat - For Improving Sleep and Alleviating Stress-Related Muscle Pain
  • While I don’t personally subscribe to the Bulletproof Diet and am skeptical of many of its broader scientific claims, I have been interested in a few of the company’s specific products to fit particular individual needs. I have been most intrigued by the concept of the Sleep Induction Mat and after careful contemplation I purchased it on Amazon in August 2017 for $40.00.

• I have always been a poor sleeper, with my biggest problem being an inability to quickly and easily fall asleep at night. I could be yawning and drowsy all day long, but the second my head hits the pillow I will be suddenly full of energy; it is infuriating! I also spend approximately 11-12 hours each day sitting at a desk in front of a computer for my job, which has wreaked havoc upon my neck and spine. I proactively remind myself to get up and walk periodically as well as complete daily stretches, but the neck and back pain have persisted. Therefore, when I encountered a relatively inexpensive product claiming to aid with both sleep ability/quality and back/neck pain, my attention was instantly piqued.

• When the mat arrived, I was initially a bit concerned - with hundreds of not-insignificant spikes sticking up, it appeared much better suited as a medieval torture device than something I would want to cuddle up on before bed. Bracing myself, I followed the instructions and placed the mat on my carpeted floor and prepared myself to lay down on top with a thin t-shirt on to cushion the spikes against my bare skin. I then slowly lowed my back down.

• Not that bad! While initially unpleasant, within a minute the sensation transitioned from mild pain to a subtle warming and tingling sensation that was surprisingly pleasant. I lasted for the recommended twenty minutes and can honestly say I felt immediate results. My back and neck muscles felt rejuvenated, but not so much so that I also wasn’t ready to rest as they also felt much more relaxed. With respect to the mat’s purported “sleep induction” effects, I definitely wouldn’t say it made me feel drowsy in the same way as an oral sleeping medication would, but the relaxed feeling created in my muscles also extended to my mind. My mind felt much clearer and peaceful and to that extent also much more ready to get a good night’s sleep. I didn’t fall asleep instantly that first night (nor have I really ever, even since), but do think sleep found me faster and I certainly was more peaceful even while lying awake.

• Since receiving the product in August, I continue to use it religiously. After a few days using a t-shirt as a barrier, I now lay on the mat with my bare skin. I will also often place the mat directly on my mattress, so when I feel myself reaching peak relaxation I can just pull it out from under me and be all set for bed (note: you do NOT want to actually fall asleep on the mat for extended periods of time). If I spend a weekend out of town or am traveling for work and unable to use my mat, I absolutely notice a difference and can’t wait to have it back. The most immediate effects are definitely noticed in the back/neck muscles. In my opinion, the sleep induction effects are more subtle and build up cumulatively, requiring regular use to get the maximum benefit.

For $40.00, I would highly recommend this purchase to anyone with an open mind that is experiencing similar sleep problems and/or back or neck pain. Acupuncture had been the other solution repeatedly suggested to me to address my issues. I never took the plunge with acupuncture, so cannot speak to the relative benefits. However, I can say for certain that a regular acupuncture regimen would be (i) significantly more expensive, with a per treatment payment usually required, (ii) more inconvenient, requiring advance scheduling with a professional likely outside of one’s own home, (iii) more invasive. For anyone considering acupuncture for similar reasons, I strongly suggest trying the Sleep Induction Mat first! Even if you decide it doesn’t quite do enough for you (the spikes really are an “acupuncture-lite” with respect to stimulation of pressure points), for $40.00 the mat could also be a wonderful adjunct to acupuncture for in-between sessions.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3413111661490530/k2311a1113/11.13.17