La Chocolaterie de Provence ligne gourmet chocolate with Espelette pepper  » Food  »
  • I love chocolate and I have tried lots of different brands and flavors of it
  • At this point, it's hard to surprise me with a new flavor, but I still try all the unusual chocolate I see
  • I've tried spicy chocolate before with pepper in it, but this one, that my friend brought me from France, quite impressed me
  • My friend brought it from France, not from Marseille though, and I know that it is sold in other countries as well
  • You really need to savor and relish each piece of it to get all the flavors and enjoy the taste

by Irina

I love chocolate and I have tried lots of different brands and flavors of it. At this point, it’s hard to surprise me with a new flavor, but I still try all the unusual chocolate I see. Green tea chocolate and chili pepper chocolate isn’t something that’s new for me. I’ve tried spicy chocolate before with pepper in it, but this one, that my friend brought me from France, quite impressed me. It’s the protagoniste of todays’s review - Chocolaterie de Provence dark chocolate with Espelette pepper.
  • La Chocolaterie de Provence ligne gourmet chocolate with Espelette pepper
  • I’ve never heard of Espelette pepper before, let alone Espelette pepper chocolate. Mainly because that sort of pepper is only cultivated in the French commune of Espelette, Pyrenees-Atlantiques. And yes, it’s pretty much a chili pepper, but you know how it is with French products, there are might be basically the same products manufactured/cultivated in other countries, but because of the protected designation of origin (AOC) other products cannot be called that same name. By the way, this pepper is considered mildly hot, but it is still a hot pepper that gives you that burning sensation, I promise.

• La Chocolaterie de Provence ligne gourmet chocolate with Espelette pepper
  • This brand of chocolate is manufactured in Marseille and that chocolate factory seems to be pretty popular, they even arrange tours there. My friend brought it from France, not from Marseille though, and I know that it is sold in other countries as well. I also found it on Amazon and I seriously consider ordering a box of it now. It’s relatively low in calories for the chocolate (44 calories per piece and 440 calories per 100 grams), but it is still high in sugar.

• La Chocolaterie de Provence ligne gourmet chocolate with Espelette pepper
  • I like the ingredients of this chocolate, they are pretty “clean” and there’s only 6 of them. This chocolate is called dark, but it’s not bitter in any way, it contains only 52% of cocoa solids, so I feel like even the people who prefer milk chocolate can enjoy it. By the way, this chocolate can be considered vegan, because there is no dairy, eggs or other animal products in it, however there is a standard caution, saying that the chocolate might contain traces of those products.

• La Chocolaterie de Provence ligne gourmet chocolate with Espelette pepper
  • The chocolate is properly packaged and it can be a great present for someone, who appreciates good, high-quality chocolate. It’s wrapped in foil (that helps to preserve the taste) and it overall looks really fancy.

• La Chocolaterie de Provence ligne gourmet chocolate with Espelette pepper
  • And now lets talk about the taste. This chocolate is super rich and creamy. It’s probably the creamiest dark chocolate I’ve ever tried. You can put a piece in your mouth and wait a few seconds for it to melt and that would feel like you’re drinking really nice hot chocolate. The spiciness only comes as the aftertaste. When you take a bite or you put a piece in your mouth, you don’t feel any pepper at all. But when the chocolate is all melted down - that is when the strong pepper flavour comes out. It’s actually pretty spicy and it can burn, if you don’t “kill” the taste with your drink or something else.

• La Chocolaterie de Provence ligne gourmet chocolate with Espelette pepper
  • You can see here that the texture of this chocolate is very smooth. I mean, there’s no pieces of Espelette pepper in it and that’s actually quite curious, because you really can’t taste or smell anything spicy until you get to the middle of it. I’ve also tried the famous Lindt chili pepper chocolate, as well as Spicy Maya chocolate and both of them were pretty good, but not as good as this one. This chocolate is a lot creamier and I feel like that creaminess really compliments the spicy pepper flavor. However, it is important to remember that this chocolate is called gourmet for a reason. You really need to savor and relish each piece of it to get all the flavors and enjoy the taste. But if you’re someone who likes to wolf down the whole chocolate bar at once - you probably won’t get all I’m talking about here.

Overall, this is a great chocolate for all the chocolate connoisseurs out there. Everything about it is high quality: the packaging, the flavor and the aftertaste. So if you ever see it in your country or somewhere else - try it and you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 274101661171031/k2311a104/10.4.17