To the Bone, original Netflix movie  » Movies  »
  • I love the movies that give you something to think about
  • I was really shocked because all those stories about girls starving themselves to death, binging and purfing seemed so unreal and I thought they were all told so long ago and were not of current interest, but I was sooo wrong
  • I researched anorexia a lot this summer and it's actually still a big issue that doesn't only affect young girls, but can also affect boys and older people
  • This movie is focused on one girl, named Ellen (played by Lily Collins), but it also partially tells the stories of other people, who suffer from eating disorder
  • However, it's not the kind of movie you'd want to watch with your whole family, while eating popcorn, just keep that in mind

by Irina Bernetckite

I love the movies that give you something to think about. Sometimes I watch the movies that might disgust me or make me cry, but those movies cause more emotions than any horror movie, watched alone in the darkness. “To the bone” is one of those movies that give you some “thinking material”.
  • To the bone original Netflix movie
  • “To the bone” is a Netflix anorexia movie that follows a journey of a young woman, who struggles with an eating disorder. I’ll try to immerse you into the atmosphere of this movie, without spoiling the storyline, but I might still give out some minor (or not) details.

• To the bone original Netflix movie
  • I’ve never really been interested in eating disorders, but recently one of the girls I went to school with got into the hospital and was diagnosed with anorexia. I was really shocked because all those stories about girls starving themselves to death, binging and purfing seemed so unreal and I thought they were all told so long ago and were not of current interest, but I was sooo wrong. I researched anorexia a lot this summer and it’s actually still a big issue that doesn’t only affect young girls, but can also affect boys and older people. This movie is focused on one girl, named Ellen (played by Lily Collins), but it also partially tells the stories of other people, who suffer from eating disorder.

• To the bone original Netflix movie
  • The other star in the movie is Keanu Reeves, who plays the unusual doctor, who specializes in treating eating disorders. He’s strict, strange, smart (and hot), but he really isn’t one of the main charactes, since he doesn’t appear in the movie too much, I think there’re maybe 5 scenes with him in total.

• To the bone original Netflix movie
  • Lily Collins actually lost lots of weight to play in the movie and I think she’s perfect for this part. She definitely looks like a troubled teenager and the way she acts in it makes you believe in every single thing she does or she says. The actress also went through an eating disorder herself, when she was 16, and she recently opened up about it, so this part was kind of her way of reaching out to people and telling them her story.

• To the bone original Netflix movie
  • Some people were worried that this movie would glamorize anorexia, but it actually does the opposite. “To the bone” shows the ugly, disgusting side of anorexia. There’s a lot of sensitive scenes in the movie that can be hard to take for people, who have ever struggled with an eating disorder. Even for me some moments were pretty harsh. The movie shows you the truth. It shows you the habits people with eating disorders have. And no, it’s not just skipping meals, binging and purging, there’s so much more.

• To the bone original Netflix movie
  • There’re some pretty funny moments in the movie, but there isn’t much action in it. The plot is focused on showing every detail of Ellen’s character and the thinking she formed with the eating disorder. There’s also no “before” story in here: you see the anorexic girl in the beginning of the film and you see here in the end as well.

• To the bone original Netflix movie
  • This story really shed light on this disease for me. I never took it as seriously, as I should and I never thought that it was as sickening, as it is. It’s a relatively new movie that I believe came out in July. I watched it a month ago and I still have a strong memory of it. The movie really got me and I still get this uneasy feeling thinking about it.

I recommend this movie to everyone, because it can be ducational for somу people, who know a little about the eating disorders. However, it’s not the kind of movie you’d want to watch with your whole family, while eating popcorn, just keep that in mind.

jass says :

re : However, it’s not the kind of movie you’d want to watch with your whole family, while eating popcorn, just keep that in mind
A little more on the background and cast would be helpful.

Irina Bernetckite replies :

Thanks for your reply, but I didn’t want to accidently tell the plot or give too much information that wasn’t concerning the movie itself

KM says :

need better picture that focus and show some interesting side of tge movie and topic being discussed in the movie

Irina Bernetckite replies :

I’ll take that into consideration. Thank you

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1122091661010630/k2311a0922/9.22.17