Earthly Choice Organic chia seeds  » Food  »
  • I believe that you just need to find the foods that you like and that work for you
  • I didn't like goji berries, kale and carob powder, but this superfood that I'm going to talk about now has actually impressed me
  • The story behind chia seeds is pretty amazing
  • They are also relatively high in protein, but that's no surprise since that's typical for nuts and seeds
  • Overall, I think that chia seeds are a great superfood that you can make lots of great things with

by Irina Bernetckite

I’ve been trying to introduce different types of superfoods into my diet, but I’m not the kind of person who would eat something that tastes like s*** just because it’s heathy and supposedly good for me. I believe that you just need to find the foods that you like and that work for you. I didn’t like goji berries, kale and carob powder, but this superfood that I’m going to talk about now has actually impressed me.
  • Earthly Choice Organic chia seeds
  • Chia seeds have been around for quite some time, but I never really thought about buying them and trying them out myself, until one day I actually stumbled upon them at TJ Maxx. The thing with lots of superfoods out there is that they can be quite pricy. And I don’t know about you, but I really don’t want to spend $15 on some weird vegetable I’ve never heard about, but Chia seeds are a little bit different. I got this pack of chia seeds for $3 and I saw bigger ones at Walmart for about $7, so it’s not incredibly cheap, but it’s pretty affordable, considering that you won’t eat it all at once.

• Earthly Choice Organic chia seeds
  • The story behind chia seeds is pretty amazing. They used to be a part of Aztecs’ diet, so you can imagine for how long they’ve been around. They weren’t widely cultivated for quite a long time and people have forgotten about such thing until someone rediscovered them and told the world how amazing this food is nutritionally-wise. You can read the whole thing yourself online, if you want.

• Earthly Choice Organic chia seeds
  • The nutritional information is quite impressive: 12 gramms of fiber, 20% of iron, 20% of calcium and about 5000 mg of omega-3 fatty acids (which is more than the content of omega-3’s in 3 ounces of wild salmon). So you can see that chia seeds are litterally packed with vitamins and minerals. They are also relatively high in protein, but that’s no surprise since that’s typical for nuts and seeds.

• Earthly Choice Organic chia seeds
  • Chia seeds are supposed to be either black or white. If the chia seeds are brown, it means that they’re not ripe yet and shouldn’t be consumed. Luckily, most brands make transparent packaging so you can see what you’re buying. Apparently, there’re lots of things that you can do with chia seeds. The most popular ones are chia seeds puddings and chia seeds jams. I’ve only tried the chia seed pudding yet, as well as adding the chia seeds to my oatmeal, but that doesn’t count as a recipe.

• Earthly Choice Organic chia seeds
  • Here is my 2 ingredients chia seeds pudding that is super easy to make and that is incredibly delicious. All you do is make the “banana milk” by blending half of a banana with about one cup of water and adding 2 tablespoons of chia seeds to that. You let it sit in the fridge for about an hour and then you add the rest of your banana or some other fruit to that. It’s that easy. I’ve also tried making it vanilla-flavoured by soaking it in some almond milk with vanilla extract and it turned out pretty good too. The chia seeds don’t have much flavour to them, but they have that ability to absorb lots of water and have that great jelly texture. The pudding comes out really thick and it’s something in between eating a berry jam and a jelly dessert. If you don’t like that “jam” texture, you can actually blend the chia seed pudding into a cream, that’s also a cool option. Actually, it’s just a question of your imagination, the options are unlimited here.

Overall, I think that chia seeds are a great superfood that you can make lots of great things with. They are also pretty affordable, so check them out, if you haven’t yet and maybe you’ll love them as much as I do.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2715091660850830/k2311a0915/9.15.17