Paul Mitchell The Detangler super rich conditioner  » Cosmetics  »
  • About 2 years ago I decided to turn myself into a hot blonde and really damaged my hair
  • If you think about it, you use your conditioner on the ends, avoiding your roots, meaning that you only put the conditioner on dead hair (sounds terrible, I know) and trying to nourish the dead with the oils and extracts doesn't make much sense
  • My hairdresser also said that coconut oil works really bad on colour-treated hair, let alone the fact that it washes out the colour
  • However, visually my hair looks healthier, which is pretty much what I expect from the conditioner in general

by Irina Bernetckite

About 2 years ago I decided to turn myself into a hot blonde and really damaged my hair. Since then I’ve been trying to get my hair back to normal and trying all kinds of hair products, including masks and conditioners. Those really help to brush your hair, without breaking them in the process, and moisturize bleached fried ends. I’ve tried a whole lot of conditioners, but I’ve never actually purchased a “professional” one from a salon. Mainly because most professional hair brands are not cruelty-free, but Paul Mitchell is an exception.
  • Paul Mitchell The Detangler super rich conditioner
  • This conditioner retails for about $11 for a 300 ml bottle, but you can buy a huge 1 litre bottle from the Paul Mitchell salon. The 300 ml one like the one I own is also sold at CVS, Walgreens and Ulta.

• Paul Mitchell The Detangler super rich conditioner
  • The conditioner is marketed as a super moisturizing and detangling solution for medium to coarse hair, which seemed like a perfect match for me. My ends are rather dry since they’ve been bleached, so they look pretty dull and they also tangle a lot. The conditioner also promises to smoothe and soften your hair along the way, which is also a plus.

• Paul Mitchell The Detangler super rich conditioner
  • It’s also stated on the label that it’s suitable for chemically-treated hair, meaning that it can actually be used on the hair damaged by bleaching, colouring or some other type of “chemical hairstyle change”, without affecting the colour, perm or whatever you have going on on your head.

• Paul Mitchell The Detangler super rich conditioner
  • The organic ingredients are written in bold letters, however, you can notice that the chemicals go first on the list and I think that most of the effect that this conditioner provides is coming from those chemicals and silicons. But to be honest, I’m not looking for organic ingredients in my conditioner. If you think about it, you use your conditioner on the ends, avoiding your roots, meaning that you only put the conditioner on dead hair (sounds terrible, I know) and trying to nourish the dead with the oils and extracts doesn’t make much sense. My hairdresser also said that coconut oil works really bad on colour-treated hair, let alone the fact that it washes out the colour. I used to love the hot oil treatments with olive oil and coconut oil, but I noticed that the oil makes a lot of difference on virgin hair, making it nourished, smoothe and shiny, but it doesn’t make much difference with the hair that has been bleached. So getting back to the point of this review, I want to say that I actually recommend to lean towards chemicals when treating the hair that has been damaged by the chemicals, if that makes any sense.

• Paul Mitchell The Detangler super rich conditioner
  • One more thing I’d like to mention is the lid on this conditioner and the packaging in general: it’s really travel-friendly and the opening mechanism is actually pretty tight, so it’s very unlikely that this thing will spill. The conditioner itself isn’t very thick in consistency though and I’ve often heard that the thicker the conditioner the better. But that’s not the case with this one. The texture of it is pretty watery, but it’s quite easy to spread it all over your hair. Although, I feel like you have to use more conditioner than you would usually do.

• Paul Mitchell The Detangler super rich conditioner
  • And finally we’re getting to the most important part of this review: the effect. Does the conditioner actually detangle the hair? Yes, it does. The conditioner definitely smoothes the cuticles of the hair, preventing the tangling on the ends. Because of that my hair also looks silkier, but it doesn’t feel more hydrated than it usually does. It’s as soft as it is when I use nothing but shampoo, so this conditioner is definitely not the softening kind. However, visually my hair looks healthier, which is pretty much what I expect from the conditioner in general.

I feel like I covered pretty much all the points in this review, starting from the promises of the manufacturer and ending with the results. I can’t tell you if I’m going to purchase it again or not, because I want to try other Paul Mitchell conditioners, I think I want something more softening, but this conditioner definitely deserves its name and if tangling is your problem - this conditioner might be your savior.

nneka kalu says :

i have tried many conditioners and have not seen any result other than leaving my hair dry. Gave up on conditioners till my friend who is a hair stylist introduced me to PAUL MITCHELL DETANGLER CONDITIONER although not optimistic when i found out it was a professional conditioner cause of the price but surprisingly it retails for only 11$ and animal cruelty free so i gave it a shot and i instantly felt the difference in my hair it was easier to brush and gave a mild shine, so i will surely tell someone to use this conditioner cause it changed my wavy hair game

Irina replies :

Isn’t it awesome? I recommend this conditioner to everyone I know, who’s got a problem brushing their hair. Have a great day )

Kate says :

You are so right

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3114091660830530/k2311a0914/9.14.17