Yonanas The Healthy Dessert Maker
  • I can't describe how happy I was about it, I have to admit
  • However, Yonanas looked much more convenient than the blender, so here I am with another kitchen device
  • It retails for $50 pretty much everywhere, but if you purchase it from Yonanas website you avoid the taxes and the delivery is also free and pretty fast
  • Most of the details are plastic as is the outside of Yonanas, yet, it looks pretty sleek and neutral, so it will definitely fit into any kitchen interior
  • However, if you already have a good high-speed blender, it's not really necessary to spend money on something like that

by Irina Bernetckite

About 3 weeks ago this magical machine came right to my door. I can’t describe how happy I was about it, I have to admit: the marketing really affected me here. This Yonanas machine has been around for a while and their videos looked just too good to be true. Ice-cream made from fruit only? Ice-cream for breakfast? How does that sound to you? And even though it sounds like yet another marketing trick, I’ve tried making ice-cream from bananas in my blender before, so I new it was possible. However, Yonanas looked much more convenient than the blender, so here I am with another kitchen device.
  • Yonanas The Healthy Dessert Maker
  • I ordered this from official Yonanas website. It retails for $50 pretty much everywhere, but if you purchase it from Yonanas website you avoid the taxes and the delivery is also free and pretty fast. I ordered it on Sunday and Wednesday morning it was already at my door. The box is actually twice bigger than the device itself.

• Yonanas The Healthy Dessert Maker
  • It might look quite big in the picture, but in real life it’s pretty small and it’s also really lightweight (about 4 pounds). Most of the details are plastic as is the outside of Yonanas, yet, it looks pretty sleek and neutral, so it will definitely fit into any kitchen interior.

• Yonanas The Healthy Dessert Maker
  • There isn’t much in the box, except for Yonanas. It comes with a user manual, healthy desserts recipe book and this card with the general information about making your ice-cream from bananas. All 3 come in 3 languages: english, french and spanish.

• Yonanas The Healthy Dessert Maker
  • The recipe book has some quite interesting recipes in it. Some of the recipes look very yummy, like tiramisu or PB&J, but some of them are quite compicated and time-consuming and the manufacturer actually promised that you’ll get your healthy dessert in seconds. But I really wanted to try the fancy recipes. To be honest, I think that a regular blender or a food processer actually gets the job done better, when it comes to mixing in something but fruit, but I’ll get back to that later.

• Yonanas The Healthy Dessert Maker
  • Here I have the “mango ice-cream”, which is made from frozen mangos only. It looks pretty good and it actually tastes like mango sorbet, which is amazing. The texture of this is surprisingly similar to the texture of the ice-cream. It also makes the ice-cream look really pretty, which actually was one of the reasons why I purchased Yonanas. However, I didn’t like making the regular banana ice-cream in Yonanas. Banana ice-cream melts much faster that the ice-cream made from other fruit. It also gets brown and loses that texture of the ice-cream that we’re looking for here. It’s also harder to make flavoured banana ice-cream with Yonanas because of the way it’s structured. The recipe book recomends that you dust the bananas with cacao powder and let it sit if you want to make it chocolate, the same thing goes for the recipes with cinnamon or coffee. However, most of the powder still stays on the plate and just doesn’t mix in. I tried the chocolate recipe and the ice-cream was barely chocolaty, the same thing happened with PB2 and vanilla powder. However, if you want to add some chocolate or cookie pieces in it, Yonanas can do that. When you want to make mixed fruit recipes, you have to be prepared that it won’t actually mix them together. Yonanas doesn’t have that “mixing bowl” that the blender has, you feed it a fruit, it blends it and the ice-cream comes out. All the recipes with the mixed fruit suggest that you alternate the pieces of fruit, but it’s still gonna make the ice-cream a little “spotty”, meaning that it’s very hard to get a smooth one-coloured mixture with Yonanas. I also tried adding peanut butter in Yonanas, but it wasn’t a great success either, unless you were looking for a few cold pieces of PB in your ice-cream.

• Yonanas The Healthy Dessert Maker
  • The other issue here is that about 1/3 of your ice-cream stays inside of Yonanas and you actually have to open it up to get it out. I mean, you can leave it there and just wash it later, but think about how much of a waste that would be. At this point it seems like I’m not happy with this Yonanas and all I’m talking about is its downsides, but that’s not the case, I just want to be honest. Yonanas does what it’s supposed to do really well, as long as you only use the fruit in it. You can mix the powders, extracts or chunks of whatever you want later, but don’t try to add it all to Yonanas and hope that you’ll get “Rocky Road ice-cream” right away.

• Yonanas The Healthy Dessert Maker
  • The secret to happy life with Yonanas is making some plain ice-cream and adding the toppings to it. If you wait a little after your ice-cream comes out, you can turn that into a smoothie bowl, as it’s essentially the same thing. That’s what I did with my mango-pineapple ice-cream the other day. I just flattened it out and topped with some fresh bananas and oats. Stupidly simple and still so great.

Overall, I do recommed Yonanas if you love your fruits and ice-cream. However, if you already have a good high-speed blender, it’s not really necessary to spend money on something like that. Even though the manufacturer claims that blender can’t do the same thing, I swear, it can. I used to do the bananas ice-cream with my blender all the time and it came out perfectly smooth and ice-creamy. My blender broke and I’m not planning to buy a new one yet, so Yonanas is going to keep me satisfied for now. But if you’re deciding to purchase such thing, remember: blender can substitute Yonanas, but Yonanas can’t substitute a blender.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 165091660750430/k2311a095/9.5.17