City of Kyoto  » Travel  »
  • The best public transport for foreign travelers is the subway
  • Unfortunately there are only two subway lines and hence cannot cover all tourist destinations within the city
  • During my one day stay in Kyoto, I wanted to see a temple or shrine, a royal palace, and a modern icon of the city
  • Plastic bags are available in a wooden box at the front of the main building to carry your shoes should you enter the room
  • The admission fee for 800 yen (7.20 dollars) I think it is too expensive

by Pusaka

It is situated in the north east of Osaka and can be reached in 90 minutes by train. The best public transport for foreign travelers is the subway. A one-day subway pass costs 600 Japanese yen (5.40 dollars). Unfortunately there are only two subway lines and hence cannot cover all tourist destinations within the city. If you like to visit some spots in the eastern part of Kyoto, you may want to purchase a Keihin Kyoto sightseeing pass which costs you 500 yen and valid for one full day.

During my one day stay in Kyoto, I wanted to see a temple or shrine, a royal palace, and a modern icon of the city. My first stop is a so-called mother of the temples. It is the East Hongan-ji Temple which is located just a few hundred meters from Kyoto Station to the north. The main gate is large and beautiful and shows greatness. Beyond this point, there is a large courtyard surrounded by the main building used by public to worship, and a number of smaller buildings. Everyone is welcomed to enter the main building either worshipers or tourists provided that he or she does not wear footwear. Plastic bags are available in a wooden box at the front of the main building to carry your shoes should you enter the room. My impression about this place is that it has well-maintained Japanese traditional architecture on doors, windows, pillars, roofs and other parts of the buildings. It is also silence and hence good for a meditation place. I spent approximately half of an hour here not because I have already explored every detail, but rather because there were some other places to visit. Admission is free.

Since I had only one day to look around in Kyoto, a very careful selection on what to see should be made. In case of palaces, I had to choose whether to visit Sento or Kyoto Imperial Palace that day. Both palaces are located near one to another, whilst to visit Sento palace a registration is needed, to visit Kyoto palace one can freely walk in at anytime during the opening hours. Based on this information, I chose Sento palace to visit assuming that the place requiring registration is definitely better. I did send my registration four months prior to the intended day of visit. The nearest subway station is either Marutamachi or Imadegawa. Unfortunately you still need to walk on gravel road for nearly half of an hour to the main gate of Sento palace. I belonged to the 1:30 pm visitor group consisting of about 30 to 40 persons, among which there were only 10 foreigners. There were pre-taped electronic guides in English to be distributed among non-Japanese visitors, but only three of us including me accepted it. I found that it helped me a lot since this guided tour is only in Japanese. The tour itself lasts for an hour and visitors are treated to a beautiful view of the yard, flowers, lakes, and buildings within the palace. Unfortunately that we were only allowed to walk on the footpaths in the palace yard, and were not permitted to enter any building even though I wanted to see the interior, decorations, and furniture inside the palace. Admission is free.

As for the modern icon, I chose Kyoto International Manga Museum. Manga is primarily Japanese cartoon. At first I thought that manga was only known among the Japanese and few other people having read translated manga into his or her language. I was wrong. Manga is available in numerous countries and has been translated into very many languages. The three-storey museum displays manga books in various languages, and categorized by the year of publication. In a corner, there is a place to make your own manga. Some famous manga artist hand models are also on display. And since the museum utilizes a primary school building that is no longer in use, there is a room to display pictures commemorating the school. To my surprise there were many foreign visitors to this museum at the time of my visit. I personally was not very amused with this museum because it is just like if I visited a library. The admission fee for 800 yen (7.20 dollars) I think it is too expensive.

• City of Kyoto
  • The Main Temple of East Hongan-ji. It has beautiful ceiling, pillars, and lamps. Both worshipers and tourists are welcome.

• City of Kyoto
  • One of the beautiful spots within Sento Imperial Palace, the Stone Bridge. Look at the greeneries, water in the lake, and cleanliness of the footpaths. Only approved registered visitors may enter the premise.

• City of Kyoto
  • A huge park surrounding Kyoto and Sento Imperial Palaces.

• City of Kyoto
  • Bulletin board in the lobby of Kyoto International Manga Museum. Unfortunately that taking pictures inside the museum is not allowed. Most pictures I publish are obtained from the internet.

• City of Kyoto
  • Girls wearing Japanese traditional clothes in front of Kyoto Railway station.

In one day I managed only to visit three places in Kyoto, because many tourist attractions close at 5 pm. There are several more places I want to see such as West Hongan-ji Temple, Nijo Castle, Maruyama Park, Shimogamo Shrine, and Fushimi Inari Shrine. Obviously you will need at least two days if you want to explore all of these places. In all, Kyoto is a beautiful old city in Central Japan and should be listed in your itinerary.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3829081660690431/k2311a0829/8.29.17