The Insanity (2016 Chinese Comedy)  » Movies  »
  • They soon realized that they’re in an asylum and they wish to get out
  • However, the head of the hospital doesn’t allow them to
  • I know it sounds like a comedy so far, but there are lots of distrust and ostracizing and bullying
  • As always when we have a group of people, there will be a leader and then there will be people who are not happy with the leader’s decision or when the leader himself starts to do crazy things that harm others
  • I’ve enjoyed every moment of it and it left many questions for the viewers to think about

by MovieFreak

The Insanity is a 2016 Chinese black-comedy film directed by Rao Xiaozhi, starring Wan Qian, Zhou Yiwei and Wang Zijian.

*I suggest you don’t watch the trailer, because it contains spoilers.*

• The Insanity (2016 Chinese Comedy)
  • I am speechless. I still haven’t gotten over the impact of the movie although it has been 2 hours after I finished watching it.

Although they classify this film as comedy or black-comedy, I don’t feel it is. I would classify this as thriller or suspense thriller. But it could be because I don’t really get black-comedy or just that I don’t get their jokes?

Anyway, that is not the point because this movie is SUPERB! At least it got me from “Nah, stupid title!” (if you translate the title from Mandarin, it says “Hello, lunatic!”) to “WOW!”.

• The Insanity (2016 Chinese Comedy)
  • The plot is about 7 people waking up in a strange place. They all come from different works of live and the only common thing is that they’re now stuck in that building. They soon realized that they’re in an asylum and they wish to get out. However, the head of the hospital doesn’t allow them to.

So they desperately tried to prove to him that they’re not crazy by doing stuffs that make them looks like a bunch of crazy idiots.

• The Insanity (2016 Chinese Comedy)
  • In the end, they decided that they should pretend to accept that they’re crazy and accept treatment and the head of the hospital would eventually release them.

I know it sounds like a comedy so far, but there are lots of distrust and ostracizing and bullying. As always when we have a group of people, there will be a leader and then there will be people who are not happy with the leader’s decision or when the leader himself starts to do crazy things that harm others.

• The Insanity (2016 Chinese Comedy)
  • The first ostracized An Xi, who is always quiet and seems to be hiding things from them. They just think that she is different from them and so, she must be the crazy one and have to be locked up.

• The Insanity (2016 Chinese Comedy)
  • I can’t help but feel this movie is trying to poke fun at society (does that means dark-comedy?) because looks at us now, don’t we ostracize others just because they’re different or are the minority? Well, we don’t lock them up but we do that verbally sometimes.

There is also one part of the movie that the doctor (head of the hospital) appeared and told them that there is only ONE crazy person among them and if they fish this person out, they could all leave. Well, except for the lunatic, obviously.

• The Insanity (2016 Chinese Comedy)
  • So they started a “democratic” vote, but obviously everyone is under pressure and some will choose to just follow the “trend”. However a topic is then being brought up, “Who has the right to judge others?”

If the majority says you’re a lunatic, does that means you really are?

Most of the questions are left without an answer, it’s for the viewers to thinking about it themselves.

I find the editing and directing very impressive. I love the direction of the film. It has a variety of perspective and shots that I feel are different from other films. I love the aerial shots, I feel they’re cleverly used to create the mood or show contrast.

• The Insanity (2016 Chinese Comedy)
  • The writing is superb and the characters are all very distinct and different. Although I can’t remember all their names, I can remember all their faces and their background stories. I guess that is very successful of a 107 minutes film with such a huge cast.

The casting is wonderful! The cast is just so great that everyone is so memorable. I can’t tell you how great an actress Wan Qian is. She just nailed her role. I can’t give details because it would spoil the movie.

• The Insanity (2016 Chinese Comedy)
  • But trust me, if you watch it, you’ll know.

• The Insanity (2016 Chinese Comedy)
  • There is a HUGE plot twist and I can’t tell you how much it surprised me. I don’t think there is anyway anyone could have guessed the twist. It’s just so unexpected!

I don’t know why this film is given a 6.5 in some review website. (Could it be because the humour isn’t great?) I feel it deserves a higher rating. I’ve enjoyed every moment of it and it left many questions for the viewers to think about.

Lin says :

re : I’ve enjoyed every moment of it and it left many questions for the viewers to think about
Thks for the helpful and detailed review. I would like to give this movie a try

Rott says :

re : As always when we have a group of people, there will be a leader and then there will be people who are not happy with the leader’s decision or when the leader himself starts to do crazy things that harm others
Sounds like it would be a nice watch

I like how you throw in your views which made me more curious

Ellie Oakley says :

re : I know it sounds like a comedy so far, but there are lots of distrust and ostracizing and bullying
This movie is a satire. Watched it as a play when I was over at my friend’s. Was in Mandarin and have to read the subtitles. Sarcastic way of showing the flaws and ugly side of society.

I have not watched this movie, hopefully it will be as good as the play.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 114051659550131/k2311a054/5.4.17