Threads of Time (2012 Chinese Movie)  » Movies  »
  • The dialogues are very profound and if without the help of the dual subtitles (in both English and Mandarin), I can hardly understand the conversations
  • Furthermore she was a prostitute before (it’s considered a disgrace to the male family) and she would actually have to get married at night without anyone knowing
  • But he didn't care even though he got dissed and gossiped
  • I guess I prefer something more dramatic and happening

by MovieFreak

Thread of Time is a romance film with some documentary aspects that follows the life of a talented prostitute, Liu Ru Shi.
  • Threads of Time (2012 Chinese Movie)
  • I don’t know what to make of this movie, it is the first of its kind that I’ve watched. It is atmospheric but awfully slow and mellow. The dialogues are very profound and if without the help of the dual subtitles (in both English and Mandarin), I can hardly understand the conversations.

• Threads of Time (2012 Chinese Movie)
  • Liu Ru Shi however is a very charming character, talented and her thinking is rather avant-garde for her era. She is sort of a feminist, patriot and have great ambitious. If she is born in our era, she would probably be a successful politician or military officer, but being in her era and born a woman, what she can do is very limited.

She started out as a prostitute but she soon managed to free herself. She was with a scholar then whom she saved but ever since he got a post as an official, he decide to leave her in fear of criticism.

• Threads of Time (2012 Chinese Movie)
  • She then met Qian Mu Zhai, a great master who is very talented but wasn’t able to serve his country due to some plots (this part is a little too difficult for my understanding). He indulged in poetry and wine for years after that.

The duo got attracted by each other’s talent quickly and they get together.

• Threads of Time (2012 Chinese Movie)
  • I really envy their love, it is not portrayed in the most dramatic and romantic ways but in some subtle details. I am pretty touched when Mu Zhai married her in broad daylight with everyone witnessing their marriage. In that era, only the first wife can be treated with such “respect” while the concubines can’t. Furthermore she was a prostitute before (it’s considered a disgrace to the male family) and she would actually have to get married at night without anyone knowing. But he didn’t care even though he got dissed and gossiped.

• Threads of Time (2012 Chinese Movie)
  • The film is set in the last few years of the Ming Dynasty where there is war and chaos. The Machu army was invading the Ming.

• Threads of Time (2012 Chinese Movie)
  • The couple is really close and they’ve been through a lot but that doesn’t mean they don’t have disagreements or differences.

The first quarrel between the couple was when Mu Zhai made the decision to surrender in order to avoid more deaths. In order to save his reputation and pride, Ru Shi decides to die together with him but Mu Zhai refused. (Reputation is a Huge thing to people in the era, because it’s how people remember you even after your death). She got so angry and disappointed, she jumped into the river. (I seriously don’t get why they don’t value their life as much as their reputation)

• Threads of Time (2012 Chinese Movie)
  • The second one was when he decided to join the Qing court as official (the Qing are the Machu invaders). She cannot stand his betrayal and left him.

However, they got back together eventually, have a daughter and stayed together till he passed.

The film is actually a very beautiful and romantic piece with great music and acting. The cast is first grade and impossible to find any flaw in them. I must admit I did for a moment got led into the world created by the film because of the cast but it’s only for a brief while. As I mentioned above, it is painfully slow and too mellow that I eventually ran out of patience. However it did get me interested in the poet, Liu Ru Shi and researching about her.

I did manage to finish to whole movie but that is with the help of the fast forward function. But it is only a few scenes that I fast forward because nothing much was happening in them.

I guess there will be audience who can appreciate and enjoy this kind of more atmospheric, poetic and mellow films but it’s just not my cup of tea. I guess I prefer something more dramatic and happening. However, this is not a bad movie at all, if you can take its slow pace.

joli says :

re : Liu Ru Shi however is a very charming character, talented and her thinking is rather avant-garde for her era
learnt a little about her in literature class.
a rare example of woman

rycemix says :

re : I guess I prefer something more dramatic and happening
What can I say? Documentary style movie are usually less dramatic unless the topic they touched on is dramatic itself.

This sounds like a very deep movie and the history and culture part of it will probably interest me. I just developed a love for Asian, Chinese cultures and history.

I’ve been following you and reading your films reviews. Thanks for sharing more foreign films, good and bad. I hope you write more so I can read good reviews while earning cash from discussion. LOL.

MFreakz says :

Thank you, you don’t know how much your comment means to me. I do watch a lot of films.
However, I can’t really decide on what I can or cannot write because they’re subjected to approval of the admin.

I do have a blog if you’re interested.

I am also quite interested in Chinese history (in a gossipy ways) because the palace stories are usually juicy.

I’m happy to know people who enjoyed my reviews, it really dispelled a lot of the crap and negativity I faced. Thanks.

Harvi says :

Slightly better than some of the film reviews I read here, at least touched a little on the setting and characters.

But still not enough to get me excited.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 117041659400630/k2311a047/4.7.17