Mommy (2014 Canadian Drama Film)  » Movies  »
  • Admittedly, 3 years ago, I was not too much of a fan of smaller movies
  • A lot of things have changed then, now I find myself constantly watching smaller films because I found out they make the most impression in me the most
  • But for some reason, when this ended I know for sure that I have seen a masterpiece, one that will stay with me until the end of time
  • I can feel the sheer violence of Steve (played by Antoine-Olivier Pilon) as he battle against his ADHD, the strong love of her mother Diane (played spectacularly by Anne Dorval, as well as the unconditional support of Kyla (portrayed by Susan Clement), which goes to show you can truly love someone like he's your own son even though you don't have the same blood
  • Mommy is nothing less of a cinematic masterpiece, it's everything I love about movies and more

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

Most often than not, small films like this one gets buried in a year full of blockbusters. Which is probably the reason why I was not able to watch this the year it was released. Admittedly, 3 years ago, I was not too much of a fan of smaller movies. A lot of things have changed then, now I find myself constantly watching smaller films because I found out they make the most impression in me the most. Who needs green screen-filled mindless blockbusters when you have particularly original and deeply affecting indie films like this Xavier Dolan film called “Mommy”?
  • Mommy (2014 Canadian Drama Film)
  • It’s also quite rare for me to eventually love a movie. But for some reason, when this ended I know for sure that I have seen a masterpiece, one that will stay with me until the end of time. Xavier Dolan has created a histrionic, but nonetheless affecting tragedy that depicts the true nature of a motherly love.

I grew up very close to my mother, and the themes here massively affected my core emotions. Lines in the film like, “A mother doesn’t wake up one morning not loving her son” makes this film so hard to forget, because for me it felt too real.

• Mommy (2014 Canadian Drama Film)
  • Despite the fact that the melodrama in this movie has been exaggerated, it still got a good sense of reality; that sometimes you can’t control people no matter how much you want to; that sometimes loving people is not enough to save them but we still do because that’s how it should be; that we imagine a different future for us and for others if everything isn’t the way it is right now; themes like these that are so common in reality but explored in a macroscopic view in this character-driven film by the acclaimed-Canadian director.

• Mommy (2014 Canadian Drama Film)
  • I don’t know about you but this is not really a plot-driven film, it basically follows the lives of three people just trying to help each other and get through their troubles. There’s no big explosions, heightened climax that you expect in an action blockbuster, or a real proper closure that makes you sigh in relief; instead what you’ll get is a film that has no villains or superheroes, just real people with their lives at the center - and for me that’s what cinema should be, the power to touch the viewers’ lives as they watch the lives of the characters unfold in the screen.

• Mommy (2014 Canadian Drama Film)
  • The performances are truly topnotch, not a single note of fake performance in there. Everything feels so raw and emotional. Maybe that’s because these actors have worked each other in the past with Dolan, or they’re just truly exceptional in their field. I can feel the sheer violence of Steve (played by Antoine-Olivier Pilon) as he battle against his ADHD, the strong love of her mother Diane (played spectacularly by Anne Dorval, as well as the unconditional support of Kyla (portrayed by Susan Clement), which goes to show you can truly love someone like he’s your own son even though you don’t have the same blood.

• Mommy (2014 Canadian Drama Film)
  • This film is also a technical marvel. The cinematography is absolutely stunning. The choice of aspect ratio is incredible and very effective. One of my favorite scenes involves a changing of aspect ratio for almost a claustrophobic square-like size into a widescreen, depicting the birth of freedom for the central characters - truly a nice touch by Dolan.

The score and soundtrack was carefully chosen as well which includes tracks from Dido and Celine Dion, and by the time Lana del Rey’s “Born to Die” played at the end I can’t help but feel an utter sense of euphoria because then I know that this is a masterpiece waiting to be watched again and again.

I may not have known who Dolan is 3 years ago when this film hit an instant craze in the cinephile community, but now that I was able to join in the frenzy, I know for sure that I’m going to delve into his filmography in the very near future. Mommy is nothing less of a cinematic masterpiece, it’s everything I love about movies and more. It’s deeply affecting, hugely emotional, and an important piece of art that deserves to be seen by many.

Kin says :

A review should cover more plot than personal feelings. Pictures are not high quality and seems to be taken off randomly from the internet

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

If you go to ReviewStreams FAQ section, it’s stated that the review should contain more personal opinion rather than description. I was just following the instructions.

tuliy says :

It should cover the movies story not the feeling of the writer. its not helpful

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

This is a personal review, not a critics’ opinion. This is what I felt when I watched the film.

Kino says :

I don’t know but I feel it would have a more personal touch and would be more convincing if writer do his own captures instead of taking pictures off the internet which makes things messy with the different image quality and sizes.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

Will take note of that, thanks

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 114041659360630/k2311a044/4.4.17