Profiteroles, cake by Bauli  » Food  »
  • Let me first tell you a few words about Bauli
  • When it comes to cakes, croissants, pandoros and panettones, but even biscuits, Bali is usually my favorite first choice
  • I must admit that I have never bought anything they made that I hated
  • I bought Bauli's Profiteroles at the supermarket called Interspar because I really wanted to eat something sweet, and as it was the season to be jolly, I wanted a cake with a lot of chocolate inside and on it
  • I mean, you have to accept the fact that you are going to eat a caloric bomb and behave accordingly

by 7hereviewer

Let me first tell you a few words about Bauli. It is an Italian brand well known for their cakes and pastries. The company is very old; it has a great reputation and a big assortment of different delicious products. They are very popular in Italy and their products really appreciated. When it comes to cakes, croissants, pandoros and panettones, but even biscuits, Bali is usually my favorite first choice. I must admit that I have never bought anything they made that I hated. I bought Bauli’s Profiteroles at the supermarket called Interspar because I really wanted to eat something sweet, and as it was the season to be jolly, I wanted a cake with a lot of chocolate inside and on it. Profiteroles by Bauli seemed to be a perfect choice.
  • Profiteroles, cake by Bauli
  • Well as you can see on the photo this cakes comes in a quite big purple and shiny box made of cardboard. I really like this pale purple colour because it is light and soft, but to be honest I do not find it suitable for a cake, for the simple reason that it is not a color I associate with food. But the truth is the color and, consequentially, the box look very elegant which makes this product a very nice present, especially when you are visiting someone or going to a dinner and you have to bring the dessert. The cake itself is a bit different than the photo on the box, it looks much bigger on the box plus the chocolate cream seems to be spread differently than it actually is.

• Profiteroles, cake by Bauli
  • I bought this cake for me and my sister one day when I really wanted to eat a good cake with a lot of chocolate. And I really did not make a mistake by buying Profiteroles by Bauli. First of all, I must say that it abounds in chocolate. It is covered with a thick chocolate glaze coating. On the sides, the chocolate glaze layer is not that thick, maybe 0.2 centimeters but on the top of the cake there is at least half centimetre of it, and it is really delicious and solid. You can taste that it is a milk chocolate and that is is not very sweet. That chocolate is so thick that when you try to cut a slice of the cake you can see that the chocolate is cracking under the knife. There are also little crunchy crumbs all over the chocolate coating but they are so small that you can barely taste them while you eat.

• Profiteroles, cake by Bauli
  • The chocolate cream inside was slightly disappointing, in quantity as in quality. There is quite a lot of chocolate cream at some places but most of the cake completely lacks it. You can see in the photo that most of the cake is yellow pastry and that chocolate cream is looks like big brown dots. I would prefer if the chocolate layer was going through the cake because that way every slice of the cake would have chocolate cream in it.

• Profiteroles, cake by Bauli
  • I cut two slices of the cake on purpose so that it is clear that the one on the left abounds in chocolate cream while the one on the right has no chocolate cream in it whatsoever. I guess that is good if there are people who do not like the cream so you can give them the slice without it but in my opinion, if you want a cake without cream you can buy one that is without it. I would really like every slice to have at least a little bit of cream in it.

• Profiteroles, cake by Bauli
  • The cream itself is rather dense and that is what I like about it but its taste is quite watery so I was not ecstatic about it. It is not very sweet either but the fact is that you cannot feel the chocolate in it that well because it seems to be diluted with water, so its taste is not very strong. Actually, the taste is quite flat. The cream is thick, dense and sticky and must say that I was expecting it to be creamier and richer.

Then there are real profiteroles on the top of the cake. The pastry they are made with is quite tough but is not dry and I like that quite a lot. The best part is that they are filled with yellow pastry cream which is delicious. The profiterole seems to be just a thin layer of dough that holds in the cream which is yellow sweet and dense. There are nine of these little pastry jewels on top of the Profiteroles cake and they really taste great, especially because they are covered with chocolate. Plus, they mark the slices you can make or the slices they suggest you can get out of the cake, so eight profiteroles for eight slices, and the one in the center for decoration.

• Profiteroles, cake by Bauli
  • The pastry is the one that they usually use in pandoras and for that reason, it is so yellow because there are a lot of eggs in it. The pandoro pastry is always buttery and soft, and this one is too. I like the fact that it is not dry. It also smells very nice. The fragrance is a mix of chocolate and vanilla but also of the buttery dough.

The mark that I will give to this cake is eight but only because the chocolate cream is not all that good and usually that is the part I prefer in a chocolate cake. If it was not for that one I would not have any complaint because its particular taste and deliciousness of all the other ingredients is really amazing. The price is of the cake is also quite acceptable, I bought it for 3.99 Euro but its regular price was 5.29 Euro. I do not want to think about the calories in each slice because I really think that once you decide to open this kinda cake you need to be able to spot after one slice or just understand that you will have an unhealthy and very caloric meal. I mean, you have to accept the fact that you are going to eat a caloric bomb and behave accordingly.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2721031659180631/k2311a0321/3.21.17