One Step Away (Romantic Thriller)  » Movies  »
  • I was bored on a Sunday afternoon and I decided to switch to the movie channel to see what's on there
  • I am lucky because a movie is just starting so I can watch it without missing any parts
  • This however, resulted in the capture of a young woman working at her dance studio, Ning Dai to be taken back by the KMT
  • It's a really unique and enjoyable experience for me but the second half is rather disappointing

by RandomMe

I was bored on a Sunday afternoon and I decided to switch to the movie channel to see what’s on there. I am lucky because a movie is just starting so I can watch it without missing any parts.
  • One Step Away (Romantic Thriller)
  • The story is about the double agent, Jin Nian is working primarily for Communist party but undercover in KMT (Nationalist) as an anti-communist officer.

His new handler leaked the information about his ex-handler, code Shadow under threat, Shadow committed suicide in order to save Jin Nian. This however, resulted in the capture of a young woman working at her dance studio, Ning Dai to be taken back by the KMT.

• One Step Away (Romantic Thriller)
  • She was released after some interrogation but they continued to spy on her and her dance studio. Jin Nian found himself slowly being attracted to Ning Dai during the time he was spying on her.

• One Step Away (Romantic Thriller)
  • I really love the directing and editing because it feels like a romantic musical. The feelings of love develops slowly and realistically in a way the audiences can detect and feel together with the characters - through some fluid and passionate dance between the couple and the beautiful music playing in the background.

• One Step Away (Romantic Thriller)
  • It’s a special feeling for me, being able to experience their relationship in such an artistic way.

The part about Jin Nian being a double agent actually didn’t play a huge part in the movie although it’s the biggest obstacle in their relationship. Jin Nian has to go to war or on mission when either side requested him to.

The couple was separated a few times because Jin Nian was away on mission or being captured.

• One Step Away (Romantic Thriller)
  • However, Ning Dai will always find ways to go to him, not matter how hard it is.

As I mentioned previously, the directing and writing of the first half of the story is very good, capturing the slowly developing romance and sometimes thrilling atmosphere really well. However I feel the second half got a little sloppy. The plot starts to get jumpy and feels like a quick mesh up of loosely related events and the pace and develop we see in the first half is nowhere to be found.

The ending while can be good to some, feels a little sloppy for me. I don’t dislike it but I feel it could be better executed, as the mood is just not there.

This movie is unique in its own way, which also means that it may not be for everyone. Firstly, you may find Jin Nian’s double agent identity a little confusing if you don’t have knowledge about that part of Chinese history (I know a little about the history but still find it a little difficult to follow). Secondly, if you don’t enjoy social/ballroom dance or musical, you probably won’t enjoy this movie.

I am actually quite torn between whether to recommend this movie or not. It’s a really unique and enjoyable experience for me but the second half is rather disappointing. While it was almost saved by a final good dance, the sloppy ending ruined it again.

Ke y says :

re : I really love the directing and editing because it feels like a romantic musical
Romantic and graceful dances but lousy plot

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1120031659160831/k2311a0320/3.20.17