GBA4iOS (Gameboy Emulator)
  • It is available for download from Cydia (for jailbroken devices) or online at gba4iosapp
  • However, those buttons will be removed when a controller is detected and the game will look like this
  • I've no problem running classic games like Pokemon, Dr. Mario and Bomberman on this emulator
  • I have been using iNDS (NDS emulator for the IOS) and there are frequent freezes and lagging, especially with extended use but this is not the case in GBA4iOS
  • I really like how I can revisit all my childhood favourites like Pokemon and Dr. Mario on it

by CPY

GBA4iOS is an Gameboy, Gameboy Advance and Gameboy Colour emulator on the IOS. It is available for download from Cydia (for jailbroken devices) or online at gba4iosapp.com.
  • GBA4iOS (Gameboy Emulator)
  • The emulator is very user friendly. They even include a web browser whereby you can search and download roms directly from online into the application. This saved me a lot of trouble as I don’t have to download the rom and then sync it into my phone via my PC.

• GBA4iOS (Gameboy Emulator)
  • The layout is very organised and clear. Your roms appear in alphabetical order, which make searching for them easier if you happen to have a huge list of games.

• GBA4iOS (Gameboy Emulator)
  • If you don’t have a controller connected, the application looks like this, with the onscreen buttons below the game screen like your usually Gameboy device. However, those buttons will be removed when a controller is detected and the game will look like this.

• GBA4iOS (Gameboy Emulator)
  • Yes, this emulator can work with external controllers, but only with the help of third party tweaks like Controllers for All.

• GBA4iOS (Gameboy Emulator)
  • I’ve no problem running classic games like Pokemon, Dr. Mario and Bomberman on this emulator. The sound, graphics and fluidity of the games surprised me. I have been using iNDS (NDS emulator for the IOS) and there are frequent freezes and lagging, especially with extended use but this is not the case in GBA4iOS. Everything just runs smoothly as if you’re playing with the original device.

But it could be because of the games available on the Gameboy just aren’t as graphically or resource demanding, hence it’s not so taxing on the phone. As I find my phone’s battery lasting much longer when running GBA4iOS than iNDS. My phone also doesn’t get as hot too when running GBA4iOS.

• GBA4iOS (Gameboy Emulator)
  • I also like how the emulator lets you customize the controller skin. This means that you can customize the design according to your liking. There are many skins available on the internet that you can download and also tutorials on how to make your own skin, if you prefers a more personal touch to it.

As someone who likes to customise my things, this feature appeals a lot to me. I am already trying to make my own skin now.

• GBA4iOS (Gameboy Emulator)
  • However, I have a very petty complain about the menu. It’s not that it is lousy, in fact, the calling of the menu (for changing games and saving) is very easy. I really like how the menu can be called via button on the controller (something not possible with iNDS), however to choose any option on the menu (like loading or saving states), I still need to tap it onscreen. It kind of defeats the purpose of making the menu callable by controller buttons. It’ll be good if they make the menu options selectable by controllers as well.

• GBA4iOS (Gameboy Emulator)
  • Even though I don’t spend as much time on this compared to the iNDS, I’ve enjoyed many hours of fun on this emulator. I really like how I can revisit all my childhood favourites like Pokemon and Dr. Mario on it. It is a very good emulator for the IOS, in fact I don’t see any other Gameboy emulator for Apple devices as good as this one.

This is good application for all Gameboy lovers out there, as this emulator can let you play Gameboy games on your phone without having to own a Gameboy machine!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2813031659071231/k2311a0313/3.13.17