XX (horror and thriller short films)  » Movies  »
  • However, I find it a pity that it ended abruptly and with questions unanswered
  • The second film, The Birthday Party is my least favourite of the whole film
  • I find it rather boring and at times, trying too hard
  • I like how they cleverly use the stop motions as a transition between the films

by CPY

XX is a film made up of a collection of 4 short films – “The Box”, written and directed by Jovanka Vuckovic based on the short story by Jack Ketchum ; “The Birthday Party”, written and directed by Annie Clark, co-written by Roxanne Benjamin ; “Don’t Fall”, written and directed by Roxanne Benjamin ; “Her Only Living Son”, written and directed by Karyn Kusama. The genre of the short films are seems to be horror and thriller (or just weird).

• XX (Movie)
  • The film starts off really eerily with a stop motion about some weird toys and “doll house”, which actually sets the tone of the film.

• XX (Movie)
  • Due to this film being a collection of short films, there are some really interesting ones and some not so interesting ones.

I’ll refrain from giving the plot out as I feel these short stories are more enjoyable when you go in not knowing what to expect.

• XX (Movie)
  • The first film, The Box is very interesting and suspenseful. It kept you curious and wondering about what exactly was in the box, and if what is happening to the kids was caused by the content in the box.

The camera and flow are pretty well done, so is the sound. The suspense and mood are well captured and kept me interested the whole time.

However, I find it a pity that it ended abruptly and with questions unanswered.

• XX (Movie)
  • The second film, The Birthday Party is my least favourite of the whole film. I guess it can be considered a thriller (?), which can easily be a disaster when not well executed.

I find it rather boring and at times, trying too hard. The plot is kind of cliché and the female lead’s actions are not very illogical at times. I don’t see why she couldn’t have him in the cabinet and needs to go through all that trouble. Furthermore, the film feels “old school” and lacks the modernity because of the way it is filmed and the sound effects.

However, there are some clever scenes and editing that actually saved the film from being lousy.

• XX (Movie)
  • The third one, Don’t Fall actually has a very typical plot as well. A group of friends wondered into an unknown place and meets with danger. However, I find it pretty enjoyable because the execution is good.

The dialogue could be improved but the effects and sound are above average. The film doesn’t feels boring or trying too hard but just flows smoothly.

• XX (Movie)
  • The fourth and last one, Her Only Living Son, is kind of confusing. It’s a little like the mesh up of the first two but not as good or bad. The suspense is pretty weak but not non-existence. I don’t know where it falls short but it just wasn’t able to draw me in like the first one did.

I guess it might be it’s ending that is just… confusing and left questions unanswered.

• XX (Movie)
  • Overall, this collection is pretty worth watching. It feels a little like the “Yonimo kimyona monogatari” (aka Tales of the Unusual), a Japanese series that has been running for more than 25 years now. The series features weird and horror short stories that sometimes reflect the current social norms. However I feel that no one beats the Japanese in this genre, as their stories are usually creative and interestingly weird. But I see great potential in XX and all of the directors. I like how they cleverly use the stop motions as a transition between the films. It makes the film more consistent and prepares you for the next one.

If you like horror and thrillers films, you should really give XX a try. I reckon there will be one out of four of the short stories that happen to be your cup of tea.

Carlos says :

re : Due to this film being a collection of short films, there are some really interesting ones and some not so interesting ones
That is usually the case, that why i don’t watch such films usually.

cpy replies :

I usually don’t mind short stories but it also depends on who is involved and the genre of the stories.

Yunji says :

I try to avoid them too.

Jithin Johny says :

Its a amazing wonderful experience in my life…a different way of thinking…

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1110031659020231/k2311a0310/3.10.17