Bumi Tug Toy by West Paw Design
  • Approximately three years ago, my mother-in-law purchased the Bumi Tug Toy by West Paw Design from Pet Valu for our toy-destroying golden retriever
  • As happy as we had been with the Bumi Tug Toy, I lost all confidence and thought for sure it would be destroyed
  • I don't recommend bringing this toy home, handing it to your dog and leaving the house for eight hours
  • As durable as this toy is, it is quite flexible and I have no reason to believe it is hard on my dogs' teeth
  • It is typically around $20CDN and in my opinion, worth every penny

• by MJ

Approximately three years ago, my mother-in-law purchased the Bumi Tug Toy by West Paw Design from Pet Valu for our toy-destroying golden retriever. At first, our dog showed little interest in this toy, which wasn’t surprising, she had never shown interest in ‘chew toys’, she always preferred the destructible rope and plush toys. I don’t remember the particulars, but within a week or two, she started playing with this toy and she hasn’t stopped since.

Just over a year ago, we added a second dog to our family - an Australian Shepherd with a strong desire to chew through anything and everything. As happy as we had been with the Bumi Tug Toy, I lost all confidence and thought for sure it would be destroyed.

I’m happy to say that despite regular use, this toy is still in excellent condition.

West Paw Design gives their toys a ‘durability rating’. For the Bumi Tug Toy, the durability rating is 3, which, according to the company means that it is designed for interactive and supervised play and is the perfect strength for medium chewers. With age, my golden retriever has become a medium chewer (unless you put a plush toy in front of her, then her old habits return) but our Aussie is still a very strong-willed, aggressive chewer. That being said, I trust this toy. I do not hide it when I leave my dogs alone. But ‘know thy dog’. West Paw Design admits no dog toy, including their own, is

completely indestructible and there are reviews where people say their dogs had no problems chewing through the Bumi Tug Toy. I don’t recommend bringing this toy home, handing it to your dog and leaving the house for eight hours.

As durable as this toy is, it is quite flexible and I have no reason to believe it is hard on my dogs’ teeth.

The Bumi Tug Toy is wonderful. I’ve seen both of my dogs play with it on their own, I’ve seen them play with it together and they’ve played with it with people. It can be used to play tug, it can be used to play fetch and it is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. It is also advertised as buoyant, but ...

• Bumi Tug Toy by West Paw Design
      I haven’t put that to the test yet.

Unlike typical tug toys that are made out of rope, the Bumi Tug Toy does not absorb drool, which in my experience, is the main cause of odor in dog toys. It is even dishwasher safe, though it is equally as easy to wash by hand.

One of the many wonderful things about West Paw Design dog toys is that the company offers a ‘warranty’. Yes, you read that right - a dog toy with a warranty. If your dog does destroy the toy or if for some reason, you’re not happy with it, you can send the toy to West Paw Design (you have to pay for shipping) and they will either sent you a free one

time replacement (you can choose to get an identical toy or one better suited for your dog’s chewing needs) or a refund.

As previously mentioned, our Bumi Tug Toy was purchased at Pet Valu, but I’ve also seen West Paw Design dog toys for sale online and I believe in at least one other pet store. It is typically around $20CDN and in my opinion, worth every penny. The toy comes in two sizes - small and large (I have the large) and three colors - orange, blue and green.

Both of my dogs love this toy, and if they are happy, I am happy. I have nothing but positive things to say about both the Bumi Tug Toy and West Paw Design and certainly recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 297031658940631/k2311a037/3.7.17