The Kindaichi Case Files: Murder in the Forest of the Demon Dog, manga  » Books  »
  • This is my first ever manga book and I loved it so much that I became a fan of the Kindaichi series
  • This is an older version of the book, there is a newer version with much nicer cover design but I really don’t see the need to buy it
  • I was really intrigued by the story, especially when the first murder took place
  • If you’re a fan of detective and mystery genre, then you ought to give this book a try

by CPY

Revisiting this manga brought back many memories. This is my first ever manga book and I loved it so much that I became a fan of the Kindaichi series.

This is an older version of the book, there is a newer version with much nicer cover design but I really don’t see the need to buy it.

• The Kindaichi Case Files: Murder in the Forest of the Demon Dog
  • In this standalone, one-book story, Kindaichi and his few friends were going on a trip to gather mushrooms, however due to some accident caused by Kindaichi, the place they are supposed to stay at got burn down. They are left with no choice but to travel to the nearest building, an abandon research laboratory. There they met a group of university students who were in an occult society (club) and were doing some rituals.

• The Kindaichi Case Files: Murder in the Forest of the Demon Dog
  • Things start to get spooky when they saw a huge empty cage labeled “Cerberus” in the building. Cerberus is known as the watchdog from hell and people started getting killed one by one. The occult club members believed that they might have accidentally summoned Cerberus from hell and it is now going after their lives.

• The Kindaichi Case Files: Murder in the Forest of the Demon Dog
  • However, they are not able to leave the building because the place is surrounded by ferocious stray dogs with rabies.

• The Kindaichi Case Files: Murder in the Forest of the Demon Dog
  • I remembered I was so mesmerized by the book that I was secretly reading it in class, under my desk or in between my textbook. I was really intrigued by the story, especially when the first murder took place. I was like, “Oh gosh! What are they going to do? They’re all going to get killed by the dog from hell!”

• The Kindaichi Case Files: Murder in the Forest of the Demon Dog
  • The suspense and mystery were well managed and kept me on the edge the whole time I was reading the manga. At that time, I didn’t know this manga was a mystery and detective story, I thought it’s one of those horror thrillers whereby everyone except the leading characters gets killed. I was totally surprised when I realized there is a Human murderer and that all these had got nothing to do with Cerberus. Someone is just using the legend to cover up his crimes.

I really like the hint left by the last victim. It seems like an act of struggle but there is a huge message hidden behind what he did and when Kindaichi “decoded” the message, I was awed.

“How can someone be so smart to come up with such clever and good plot?” I remembered exclaiming in amazement deep inside my heart. To be honest, it left such a deep impact on me that I still remember it till now and I shamelessly wrote the plot into one of my composition back then.

I really love this manga a lot, it is definitely in the Top 3 of my favourite Kindaichi story list. It is mysterious, engaging and mind-blowing. If you’re a fan of detective and mystery genre, then you ought to give this book a try!

Joker says :

re : In this standalone, one-book story, Kindaichi and his few friends were going on a trip to gather mushrooms, however due to some accident caused by Kindaichi, the place they are supposed to stay at got burn down
Lol because he is pervert and keep thinking of dirty things.

Tanako says :

re : If you’re a fan of detective and mystery genre, then you ought to give this book a try
Am a huge fan of Kindaichi series. This is not my first book but still a memorable one. I also like the Scorpion Killer one. It is fantastic.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 176031658890631/k2311a036/3.6.17