“They’re Real” Lengthening Mascara  » Cosmetics  »
0.5
  • It is amazing how quickly those feelings can fade
  • Having given this mascara two very generous chances to live up to these reviews - the first time was when I purchased a Benefit Cosmetics 'variety box' from Sephora that included a mini or trial size tube, and the second time was when I received a full size tube as a gift from a friend - I can say with confidence that of all the mascaras I have ever tried, this may be my least favourite
  • Unfortunately, at least in my experience, these are empty promises
  • First of all, I felt like this mascara was very heavy and it seemed to weigh my lashes down
  • While I do not recommend this mascara at all, I feel it is important to warn those who do plan on trying it that when you apply it, you have to be extremely careful not to blink or apply a setting spray until you are 110% confident that it is actually dry

• by MJ

All of the positive feedback I had heard about this mascara prior to trying it for the first time, along with my previous experiences with Benefit products, had me understandably hopeful and excited. It is amazing how quickly those feelings can fade. As harsh as this may sound, I have no idea how the “They’re Real” Lengthening Mascara by Benefit Cosmetics gets such great reviews. Having given this mascara two very generous chances to live up to these reviews - the first time was when I purchased a Benefit Cosmetics ‘variety box’ from Sephora that included a mini or trial size tube, and the second time was when I received a full size tube as a gift from a friend - I can say with confidence that of all the mascaras I have ever tried, this may

be my least favourite.

Benefit Cosmetics claims that this mascara will lengthen, curl, volumize, lift and separate lashes. Sounds promising, right? Unfortunately, at least in my experience, these are empty promises.

First of all, I felt like this mascara was very heavy and it seemed to weigh my lashes down. Personally, I find this to be extremely uncomfortable and unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I tend to deal with it by rubbing at my lashes, which only creates more problems such as flaking and smudging.

I am not a fan of lash curlers, so I rely solely on mascara to help curl my lashes. As soon as I saw the wand, I started to have my doubts about this mascara’s lash-curling abilities and sure enough, my gut feeling was correct. This mascara did not curl my lashes at all. If anything made them stick straight out more than ever before.

If that last sentence made you picture spider lashes, we’re on the same page. With a name like “They’re Real”, I was hoping for and expecting a mascara that would provide a very ‘fluffy’ looking finish, similar to the look you’d get with false lashes. Sadly, this mascara did not separate individual lashes, but it clumped multiple lashes together creating the ’spider lash’ effect. According to my husband, who had never heard about ’spider lashes’, this mascara made my eyelashes look like weapons.

Normally, I find if a mascara is clumping my lashes together or weighing them down, it is caused by too much product being applied and the solution is usually quite simple - take a clean piece of paper towel and wipe off the excess ...

product from the brush before applying to your lashes. I tried doing that with this mascara and it did not make a difference.

This mascara, while not water-proof, is said to be ‘long lasting’. Here’s where things get confusing. If you shed a single tear, if a bead of sweat touches them or you accidentally rub them, this mascara is going to smudge. However, if you decide it is time to take your mascara off, it doesn’t matter how many products you use or how heavy-duty that eye makeup remover you have is, this mascara suddenly clings to your lashes for dear life. No matter what I did to remove this mascara at the end of the day, the next morning I would always wake up with racoon eyes and crusty feeling lashes.

The “They’re Real” mascara costs

approximately $30CDN and it is not worth the price. You can walk into a drugstore and for a fraction of a price get a much better product.

While I do not recommend this mascara at all, I feel it is important to warn those who do plan on trying it that when you apply it, you have to be extremely careful not to blink or apply a setting spray until you are 110% confident that it is actually dry. I’ve heard a couple of people say that it dries very fast or even too fast, but in my experience, it takes forever to dry.

Despite my disappointment with this mascara, I have nothing against Benefit Cosmetics. That being said, I would rather go the rest of my life without mascara than have to apply this to my lashes again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3127021658830628/k2311a0227/2.27.17