Irvins Salted Egg Potato Chips
  • This snack has created some hype in Southeast Asia (especially in Singapore and Indonesia) and I know people who really love the chips, like my friend and some who ordered a whole box at one go because these chip sell really fast and is always short of supply
  • Although I really like salted eggs, I am pretty skeptical about how the chips would taste
  • First of all I must say I like its attractive and bright packaging
  • The chips are all coated in a yellowish salty powder (I believe its salted egg powder), and there are some curry leaves inside too
  • However, if you like exotic food and don’t mind trying new things, you might want to try this snack out, maybe you’ll join the pool of people who would line up just to get the snack

by CPY

This snack has created some hype in Southeast Asia (especially in Singapore and Indonesia) and I know people who really love the chips, like my friend and some who ordered a whole box at one go because these chip sell really fast and is always short of supply.

Although I really like salted eggs, I am pretty skeptical about how the chips would taste. So I got one packet from my friend and I actually didn’t really like it. I feel it’s pretty overrated.

• Irvins Salted Egg Potato Chips
  • First of all I must say I like its attractive and bright packaging. It is something that will catch my eyes if I happen to see it in supermarkets.

• Irvins Salted Egg Potato Chips
  • Also it has a ziplock so that you can easily keep the leftovers, without having to look for rubber bands or clippers.

• Irvins Salted Egg Potato Chips
  • The quantity is quite a lot, it’s enough for a small group of 3-4 people.

The chips are all coated in a yellowish salty powder (I believe its salted egg powder), and there are some curry leaves inside too.

• Irvins Salted Egg Potato Chips
  • This is a clever combination (salted egg and curry leaf) that is known to work very well together and is present in many salted egg related Chinese dishes like Salted egg pork ribs and salted egg fries which are very popular in most of Asian.

The chips are very crispy and crunchy, like your usual potato chips but a little spicy and with a tinge of sweetness. The chips are not very greasy compared to some potato chips out there which is a plus point.

However, I feel they lack the appeal as you can see from the photo, they are a little duller looking than most chips out there and I can hardly find a piece that is whole. And this is not because the chips are crushed as it is the same case with my friend’s pack.

• Irvins Salted Egg Potato Chips
  • Also, I am not impressed with the taste of the chips, I feel it’s not salty or fragrant enough, in fact there is a sweet after taste. Which is kind of weird. After all, it’s SALTED egg flavoured chips and it is not salty enough? And have a sweet after taste? This is not something I expect from SALTED egg chips. I obviously want it to be more savory than sweet. Not to mention that its taste is not unique or attractive enough to make you want to buy it again. In fact, it gets a little “boring” and I just get pretty sick of it after awhile.

Furthermore, I don’t find it fragrant enough. In fact I think the Jack n’ Jill chips are more fragrance that these chips and have me wanting more.

Overall, it’s a very new and creative idea to make salted egg flavoured chips, the packaging is good and the greasiness is just right. However the taste is not that fantastic. It just lacks the fragrance and attraction to make you ask for more. Sorry, but I still prefer my Jack n’ Jill chips.

However, if you like exotic food and don’t mind trying new things, you might want to try this snack out, maybe you’ll join the pool of people who would line up just to get the snack. Who knows.

Karli says :

re : This snack has created some hype in Southeast Asia (especially in Singapore and Indonesia) and I know people who really love the chips, like my friend and some who ordered a whole box at one go because these chip sell really fast and is always short of supply
I heard my cousin in Malaysia talking about these chips, they are pretty big over there

cpy replies :

I didn’t know they’re such a hit over there too.

Shayan says :

I agree because they are too tasty

cpy replies :

I guess so.

Because even though it doesn’t appeal to me, there are many who like it.

Darklegend says :

re : However, if you like exotic food and don’t mind trying new things, you might want to try this snack out, maybe you’ll join the pool of people who would line up just to get the snack
Salted egg is now the trend in southeast Asia especially in Singapore.Many of the food starts to have salted egg favour, for example popcorn, chip ,KFC salted egg chicken and many more. Salted egg potato chips is no different. Once u started eating one chip, you would tend to take another piece and another piece and till you realize that you ate all the chips already.

Plutarc Archie Sicat says :

In the Philippines, though, salted eggs have always been a part of our diet. In fact, we even color our salted eggs purple to make it look special.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2727021658820628/k2311a0227/2.27.17