Legitim chopping board by Ikea
  • I remember my mother owned one plastic chopping board but nobody ever used it except me, and even when I did use it if any member of my family saw that they would never approve
  • I guess it has something to do with food safety but I never paid much attention to it until a few months ago I wanted to buy new chopping board for my own kitchen
  • I must say that I was a bit surprised by that especially because chopping board is a utensil that you use in the kitchen and who knows what could have happened to it in the storage or in the store
  • The first thing I saw on the site was the price
  • I am pretty satisfied with this chopping board and I would recommend it to everyone who does not mind plastic kitchen utensils and need a cheap chopping board

by 7hereviewer

My family was always against chopping boards made of plastic, so when I was still living at home we always had wooden chopping boards. I remember my mother owned one plastic chopping board but nobody ever used it except me, and even when I did use it if any member of my family saw that they would never approve. I guess it has something to do with food safety but I never paid much attention to it until a few months ago I wanted to buy new chopping board for my own kitchen. I googled it and found an article by Huffington post which explains that plastic boards are easier to sanitize but cutting on them leaves a lot of scars where bacteria could hide, while wooden ones are more difficult to sanitize but their surface gets less scratched.
  • Legitim chopping board, by Ikea
  • A friend went to Ikea and I asked her to buy me some chopping boards. What is great with Ikea is that they have their entire assortment listed online so you can choose without actually being physically in the store. I chose several different chopping boards but my friend said that all those I wanted were sold out so she bought different ones. One of them was made of plastic. I must admit that I tried that one first.

• Legitim chopping board, by Ikea
  • It came unwrapped, just with a white paper label around the handle. I must say that I was a bit surprised by that especially because chopping board is a utensil that you use in the kitchen and who knows what could have happened to it in the storage or in the store. Anyway, I washed it in the dishwasher before using it. As you can see on the label the board was made in India and you do not get a lot of other information. I went online to look for them.

• Legitim chopping board, by Ikea
  • The first thing I saw on the site was the price. It is so cool that Ikea always has yellow price tags on their cheapest items. So as you can see this board was really cheap and that was exactly what I wanted. Particularly because I use quite a lot of onion when I cook so sooner or later all these chopping boards start smelling like onion and it becomes impossible to wash off the smell, not even in the washing machine. So for that reason, I wanted a plastic board because plastic does not absorb smells as much as wood.

• Legitim chopping board, by Ikea
  • Actually on top of the board, just under the handle, you can find engraved little information about the board. I must admit that I do not know what they mean but I can say that the last one definitely means that you can wash this product in the dishwasher, which is always useful to know.

• Legitim chopping board, by Ikea
  • The board is quite big, 34cm long and 26cm wide. A lot of stuff can fit on it. At first, I must say that I thought that it was too big, but now I can chop a few things on it. That is particularly useful when I cook a vegetable dish and many different vegetables need to be chopped and put in the pan at the same time. We cut sausages and salami the time I took this picture, but as you can see many pieces fit on it.

• Legitim chopping board, by Ikea
  • Let me tell you about the material. The plastic is not thick, it is quite soft. One side is smoother while the other side appears to have small dots carved in. I guess that to prevent whatever you are cutting from sliding. I thought I would not cut meat on this board but I did, even raw meat like chicken breasts, and it really does not move although that meat is quite slippery. I am glad that this board is white because that way you can see if the board is clean or not.

It is very easy to wash the board, usually, I put it in the washing machine but sometimes I wash it by hand and then I rub it well because I really want to remove the bacteria. The small dots on the rougher, scabrous side are really small but I always rub that side a bit more than the other one to remove everything. I have used this board at least twenty times by now, mostly to chop the onion and it still has no smell whatsoever.The only thing that I am really not happy about are the scars on it. The first time we used it was to cut that meat you can see a few pictures above and it got scared immediately. I was really shocked. It is like almost every time the knife touched the surface it got scared. As I read that bacteria are more likely to hide in there. I hope that you can see on the picture that the scars are really many.

I think that buying this chopping board was a good idea because it is easy to wash and it does not reek of food that you cut on it. The fact that it is plastic made me think that I would cut only vegetables and fruits on it but I realized that once I take it out the cupboard and I start chopping vegetables on it I never take out another one to chop meat on it, but I continue chopping on this one. The fact that it was really cheap is another big plus, and the handle comes in very handy. I am pretty satisfied with this chopping board and I would recommend it to everyone who does not mind plastic kitchen utensils and need a cheap chopping board.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5327021658810628/k2311a0227/2.27.17