Ace of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • I don’t really know what to say of this film, it started well but took a really bad turn and drove straight to hell
  • The movie started well showing great humour with a series of unfortunate events and bad decisions like drawing eyeliner on the train, saving her eyeliner by stepping on it and getting her knitted wool jacket caught on something
  • There are many interesting and good elements in the first half on this comedy
  • I won’t recommend this movie at all… Or is there a way I can just recommend half of a movie

by CPY

Aces of Sales is a Taiwanese drama comedy directed by Cho Li.
  • Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • I’ve some time to pass before my appointment so I decided to watch a movie online. I don’t have anything in mind so I just pick one randomly. I don’t really know what to say of this film, it started well but took a really bad turn and drove straight to hell.

The movie started well showing great humour with a series of unfortunate events and bad decisions like drawing eyeliner on the train, saving her eyeliner by stepping on it and getting her knitted wool jacket caught on something.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • Shu Fen (Bianca Bai), our unfortunate female lead was asked to leave from her job on her birthday, with the encouragement from her loving and caring husband, she quickly got back up on her feet and started job hunting.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • She didn’t get a job she really want but she has bills to pay so she ended up being a sales person at a supermarket. She dreaded the job and her sales are really bad.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • She had no choice but to try and get help from the top sales, Mei Xiu, who doesn’t have a good impression of her. So she declined.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • After some unfortunate event, Shu Fen got to know a man, Jack who had won numerous awards in sales and he taught her some tricks to do well in sales. Shu fen’s sales improved greatly and almost took over Mei Xiu.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • Mei Xiu had decided to move on and try challenging the local TV shopping channel and Shu Fen follow suit. Their already bad relationship worsens as they continue their competition working in the same company.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • There are many interesting and good elements in the first half on this comedy. The witty exchanges between the characters are engaging and entertaining. The pace is great and the rhythm is right even though they get broken occasionally with redundant scenes.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • This guy, Jack and his 2 sidekicks (whose name I don’t know) are very redundant. Till now I’ve no idea what they really does. Jack seems to be the CEO of the TV shopping company She Fen is working in but he is also chasing people for money like a loan shark.

This trio always has the most atmosphere scenes with magnificent perspectives and angles. I think they’re trying to show another form of humour with the effects but sadly it didn’t work. Instead they just make their scenes random, lame and a waste of time.

Other than helping Shu Fen and pushing the woman he loves, Luo Si to Shu Fen’s husband, they contributed nothing to the main story.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • After getting to know Shu Fen’s husband, he helped Luo Si quite a lot and she decided to repay him by sabotaging Shu Fen’s job. Shu Fen’s husband is rather unhappy with his wife working as a TV shopping host; he thinks that it has changed her into someone he doesn’t recognize. The decision is partly because of her hatred towards people who does sales too.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • I think the exchange in this scene is really good. Here, Luo Si is doing all she can to sabotage the sales by saying negative thing about this questionable product, “iPhome 7” and Shu Fen wittedly countering back and saving the sales. The acting here is wonderful, the tension between the 2 ladies are captured really well and the pace is superb.

Another thing to mention is the very “local” elements that they included in the movie, like superstitious and the occasional use of dialect. It’s a very real thing in Asian (not only Taiwan) that people pray to a specific god or mythical creature for luck and fortune and as an Asian, I can relate to it very well.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • I think the strength of the movie is in its dialogues and the casts, the cinematography is not too bad too however, the writing ruined it all.

The film took a very bad turn, with far-fetched storyline and unconvincing “realization” towards the three quarter mark.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • I don’t get why Shu Fen reacted so dramatically when she saw that her superior is getting married. Yes, they are flirting a little and that he is charming, but there is really nothing to suggest anything between them. (I think the fact that she needs waterproof eyeliner is even clearer than that)

She even “felt lost” and wanted to give up her job over this.

• Aces of Sales (Taiwan Movie)
  • However, she is quickly convinced by Mei Xiu to continue on. I think this scene is very well done, both the ladies did a wonderful job in here and I enjoy the words of encouragement and tacitness between them. It’s the casts that saved the movie, I think Bianca Bai grasped the rhythm really well in her comedic scenes and captured the mood well in her emotional ones.

However, great acting can’t save a bad plot. I don’t understand what drove Luo Si to do the crazy thing she did at the end of the movie and the questionable reactions from the people who tried to save Shu Fen. (Even her ex-boss who had asked her to leave called in and apologised! So she is a great employee, then why did you ask her to leave in the first place?) I think they tried to make it moving and touching but the only thing they touch is the hand I had on the mouse and moving it closer to the “close tab” button at the top of the browser. It’s just too far-fetched and hard to believe.

I think it’s a pity that the film turned to complete trash after the random breaking down of Shu Fen over her superior’s marriage. All the great performances and efforts from the casts (even the redundant, Jack) and directing got washed down the drain because of the really bad plot. If there is anything that the movie Aces in, it’s in bad writing.

I won’t recommend this movie at all… Or is there a way I can just recommend half of a movie?

A 4.5 for the good first half.

PS says :

Looks like I’m not the only one that don’t get Taiwanese humours.

I don’t like how they have random scene and unrelated side stories too.

cpy replies :

LOL, I used to enjoy their, movies a lot more but now they just seems too lame or artsy or draggy.

Farmers says :

I don’t agree, i am half Taiwanese and I go back once in a while.

I actually find their programs very entertaining. Its unfair to judge Taiwan film by a few lousy ones.

cpy replies :

I guess you’re right, even if Taiwan movies doesn’t appeal to me, doesn’t mean they’re all lousy.

Andrew says :

What other movies has the movie director done

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121021658690728/k2311a0221/2.21.17