Embrace of the Serpent (2015 Colombian Adventure-Drama Film)
  • It is something so rare especially for people like me who have lived in the city for so many years now
  • The other in the 1940's was an American (Richard Evans) who have come to find the last of Yakruna for research purposes
  • I can watch this for hours and still not get tired of looking in its scenic images
  • I can't help but feel to be there in the entirety of the film that I became really sad when I reached the end because it means I'm back in reality again
  • The themes are among the best I've seen in film as well

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

There is always this magnificent beauty that the nature emits. It is something so rare especially for people like me who have lived in the city for so many years now. Away from all the trees, untainted rivers, and the calming sound of the creatures that add peace to the unharmed lands. Civilized lands on the other hand are just this empty, hollow shell beneath the atmosphere competitively reaching for the nothingness of space, as if we have nothing better to do. This unusual sense of nostalgia is something I have gotten when I watched Embrace of the Serpent - a mesmerizing spiritual journey to the Amazon in the 1900’s.
  • Embrace of the Serpent (2015 Colombian Adventure-Drama Film)
  • This film is based on written diaries that emerged from the place and the era. Back when Spain held an entire kingdom in South America, spreading their Christian realms far beyond the reach of their extent ignoring the consequences that might result from their quest to become the greatest civilization in the planet. In the depths of the Amazon jungle lives Karamakate, the only one left in his tribe after the rubbers have come to take their place in the untouched forests. In two different generations, two explorers/scientists have come for his help in search of a rare plant, the most powerful healer of all. One in 1909 a German (Theodor Koch-Grunberg) who has gotten terribly sick, and he believes the rare plant Yakruna is the only thing that could heal him. The other in the 1940’s was an American (Richard Evans) who have come to find the last of Yakruna for research purposes.

• Embrace of the Serpent (2015 Colombian Adventure-Drama Film)
  • Filmed in gorgeous black-and-white, this movie never ceases to amaze me. No single frame wasted. I can watch this for hours and still not get tired of looking in its scenic images. It is one of the rare films that is shot on location - perhaps the reason why the film emits eternal beauty. It’s natural tone looks very pleasing to the eyes, and the forest never fails to be enchanting as we explore the vastness of the mystical Amazon. I can’t help but feel to “be there” in the entirety of the film that I became really sad when I reached the end because it means I’m back in reality again.

• Embrace of the Serpent (2015 Colombian Adventure-Drama Film)
  • Aside from its striking beauty, one main big reason why it feels almost life-like and dream-like at the same time is the brilliant use of sound design. Using the incredible silence of the forest and the nocturnal sounds of the creatures at night, it creates the perfect atmosphere to immerse everyone inside the film. It’s as if the you are really there with the characters as they search not only for the cure for sickness but also a cure for themselves. Music is important, and in here, they utilized this impact by bringing it to life in the near-end of the movie - and the effect is amazingly glorious.

• Embrace of the Serpent (2015 Colombian Adventure-Drama Film)
  • This is probably an ensemble cast, no one stands out - but everyone does. No one is trying to outcast everyone else, but they strive to carry the film together and make the most impact as possible. The two journeys are intertwined, to make sure everyone gets the same amount of attention. And even if perhaps Karamakate appeared in the film twice as different actor, he never felt different. He was young and old at the same time and you can barely see the difference. Perhaps this is the reason why I love the film so much, it does not feel like it’s an actors’ movie, it feels real because everyone does not try to outdo someone else’s performance.

• Embrace of the Serpent (2015 Colombian Adventure-Drama Film)
  • The themes are among the best I’ve seen in film as well. It almost feels like a documentary as a whole, but never taking sides. It shows the amount of things we have achieved so far, but it also shows the nostalgia of the past - back when we don’t need anything at all to be contented in life. Karamakate is the definition of a wise man - he only uses the stars, his instincts, and his inherent knowledge to navigate through the forest. The innate wisdom that he shares to the explorers that have come for his help is almost spiritual; enlightening us to see the beauty of the world that we have forgotten.

Embrace of the Serpent is a wake-up call to our spiritual awareness - a guide to retrace back our steps to the ancestors who have once roamed this planet without almost anything to help them. It shows us our greed for materials; our greed for competition; and the acknowledgement of the questions we ask ourselves. Our curiosity has taken us further than we could imagine; gaining us achievements we never thought to be possible; but also with costs. Science and reason have been integral parts of our modern society, but this film teaches us to trust our own instincts and learn to follow the stars to guide us back home.

cpy says :

Wow Sounds like a really great movie to watch
The visuals looks really nice from the photos

Thx for sharing this one.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

Yes, it is indeed one of the most visually-stunning films I have seen in my entire lifetime. :) Hope you can watch this one, but it’s got a really slow pace if you care about pacing.

Andrew says :

What did you like about this movie?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116021658350928/k2311a026/2.6.17