Wordreference.com, web dictionary
  • Let me first tell you what wordreference offers
  • Of course, English is the base language and for that reason you can find a dictionary from English to every other language available and from that language to English
  • For example, there is the Italian to English and English to Italian dictionary and also Russian to English and English to Russian but you cannot find Russian to Italian or Italian to Russian dictionary
  • For example if you wanted Spanish to English you will look for Spanish in the drop down menu and among the offered possibilities you will click on Spanish to English
  • Large database means large servers and they cost money so as long as the ads do not make the site unreadable I do not mind them

by 7hereviewer

Wordreference.com is an amazing online dictionary that I use all the time when translating something from English to Italian or vice versa, but not only then. I use it when I do not know some word or even if I want to know some not so common meaning of a certain word. I came across this dictionary more than five years ago and I never stopped using it since then because it is very practical and it has a lot of additional information you may need.
  • Wordreference.com, web dictionary
  • Let me first tell you what wordreference offers. Although I usually use it only for English, Italian, Spanish and German, although the last one very rarely , wordreference.com offers a wide variety of languages. What you can see on the photo is just a small portion of combination of languages. The supported languages are: English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Russian, Polish, Romanian, Check, Greek, Turkish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Arabic. Of course, English is the base language and for that reason you can find a dictionary from English to every other language available and from that language to English. For example, there is the Italian to English and English to Italian dictionary and also Russian to English and English to Russian but you cannot find Russian to Italian or Italian to Russian dictionary. The languages that are best represented are, after English, Spanish, Italian and then French and German. What really bugs me is that in the drop down menu of the site there is no list for English to different languages from which you can choose. But you have to go to the language you want the English word to be translated to, and then choose English to that language. For example if you wanted Spanish to English you will look for Spanish in the drop down menu and among the offered possibilities you will click on Spanish to English. If you want Polish to English you will look for Polish and then click on Polish to English. But if you want English to Spanish, Polish, Russian, Dutch or whatever other language you will have to look for that other language and then click English to that other language. For example if you want the English word GOOD to be translated into Turkish, you will have to enter the word GOOD , then click on the drop down menu, look for Turkish and click on English to Turkish. The same goes for translations from English to any other language.

• Wordreference.com, web dictionary
  • Another thing that I like about this online dictionary is that it is very exhaustive and minute. You get translations from Wordreference but you can also click on Collins and see the results of that dictionary and there is also the WR Reverse tab. I will concentrate on the wordreference tab only. So, principal translations are first on the list, which means that here you will be able to find the word you are looking for in translations which are most commonly used. For example, the word good is frequently used as a synonym for BETTER THAN AVERAGE. I mean, usually when you think of the word good its general meaning is better than average. For that reason this is the first example of the translation wordreference gives. Then you also have the word used in a sentence and then that same sentence translated in the desired language so that you get the idea of its exact meaning.

• Wordreference.com, web dictionary
  • Under Principal translations you have Additional translations. For the word GOOD additional translations start with the usage of word GOOD meaning: right, correct, the translation of that word in Italian and again this word in a sentence meaning exactly: right, correct. I find these sentences really useful because when you learn a new word you should learn how to use it and the more ways to use it you know, the better. There is a big difference between the meaning of the word GOOD in the first sentence under Principal translations: He studied hard and got good grades this year, and its meaning in the sentence: Good answer!

• Wordreference.com, web dictionary
  • Then you get compound forms, and this is actually my favourite part of this dictionary. Rarely words are used just as words, mostly they are used in idiom and as phrasal words, and that sometimes changes their meaning entirely. To have all these compound forms on one place is really useful. Let us take the example, A GOOD DEAL OF [STH], if a person looks under the word GOOD and finds it translated only as better than average or favourable or healthy, which are the most frequent usages of the word good, and then they go and look under the word DEAL and find it translated as agreement or transaction, then the person is can fall into a trap and translate A GOOD DEAL as a better than average agreement of something. In other languages you cannot use the words A GOOD DEAL OF SOMETHING to mean A lot of something but in English you can. For that reason I find all this long specification of further explanations very useful.

• Wordreference.com, web dictionary
  • But the wordreference.com does not stop there. At the bottom of the page there are two more things that are extremely helpful when you are translating. The first one is the additional entries in which the word you are looking for is found. Sometimes when I am translating and I know the general meaning of a word but I need a specific one I scroll down to the bottom part of the page without even looking at anything else. Here you can find the list of additional entries and just by reading them you will probably find what you are looking for.

• Wordreference.com, web dictionary
  • If you do not find what you are looking for on the site, there is always the forum section. The last thing on the site is the site’s forum, that is, the links to the discussions about certain word or expression and you can check if what you need has already been answered. So for example, if you want to know how to translate the expression A CHANGE IS AS GOOD AS A REST in Italian you can click on the expression and you will see what people say about it in the forum.

• Wordreference.com, web dictionary
  • Even if what you want to know has not been answered yet, you can visit the forum and ask the question yourself. There are plenty of people who are active in the forum so you will get your reply very soon. I tried asking questions several times and within an hour I would usually get at least two replies. This speed with which people usually respond to question is what makes the wordreference.com an exceptional site. I do not know about you, but when I am translating something or even just reading something that I do not understand I want the answer immediately. If I read a book and I find an expression that I do not understand and I google it, but I cannot find its meaning, I usually just skip it and never come back, and I just forget about it. But if I can check out its meaning in wordreference.com then I usually remember it, especially if I had to ask about in forum. When I am translating something, the forum is even more useful because you cannot skin a sentence when doing translations. So it is really cool to have a site where you can get answers and for free. You will not get the answer from one person only, but from several people, some of them will be native speakers and some of them will not, but there is a big chance that you will get the correct answer.

Wordreference.com is my favourite online dictionary, but it is much more than a dictionary. It is a bank of knowledge and it is growing everyday because all the time people have new questions and all the time they get new answers. I would like to recommend this site to everyone who needs to translate something, even if it is just one word but especially if you need to translate something tricky. There are so many people active on the site and in the forum who are always willing to help. I think that their effort is really commendable and I certainly hope Wordreference.com will keep expanding their database and also the combination of languages they offer in their dictionary. The site is really easy to use and it is very helpful, but the best thing is that everything is completely free, well if you do not count all the ads that are all over the site. I do not mind those ads because I really think that this site is useful and to keep it free the owners need to make money somehow. Large database means large servers and they cost money so as long as the ads do not make the site unreadable I do not mind them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 206021658340828/k2311a026/2.6.17