Sword master (Chinese Movie)  » Movies  »
  • However, I stumbled upon it when I was browsing Youtube and decided to give it a try
  • I must admit that I got bored during the first half of the movie and almost just clicked the close button
  • When I watched the film, I kept feeling that they're trying to compare the simple life of the peasants(poor) and the ambitious and scheming world of the rich and powerful
  • I've given it a 7, although I really wanted to give it a 6.5 instead

by CPY

Sword master is a 3D martial art movie by Derek Yee. It’s based on a novel by Gu Long.
  • Sword master (Chinese Movie)
  • I didn’t catch the movie when it was out in the theaters as it didn’t attract me in anyway. I didn’t like the cast nor the plot(from what I understand from the thriller I watched).

However, I stumbled upon it when I was browsing Youtube and decided to give it a try.

• Sword master (Chinese Movie)
  • The story follows a always drunken, eccentric and frustrated swordman(also a killer), Yan Shi San who distant himself from people. Well, that is what he is always trying to scare people away from him. His face is pale with heavy dark circles round his eyes and has tattoo on the lower half of his face to make himself look scary and evil. He reminds me very much of Joker from Batman, just that he doesn’t have lipsticks on(I guess lipsticks is not common in ancient China), and replace that with tattoos.

• Sword master (Chinese Movie)
  • Shi San has always been in the shadow of the formidable sword master, Xie Xiao Feng aka third young master and wishes to challenge him to a duel.

While Xiao Feng is sick of his life as a “sword master” and banished himself from the complicated and bloodshed pugilistic world.

It may sounds like a common martial art film up till this point - martial art(sword in this case) fanatic trying to challenge a unbeatable master, however the film actually has a deeper meaning to it.

• Sword master (Chinese Movie)
  • The film took quite a solemn mood and the characters didn’t help make it better. Xiao Feng always has that “dead”, dejected look on his face while Shi San is always angry. I must admit that I got bored during the first half of the movie and almost just clicked the “close” button. However, it started to draw me in when I start to understand the reason behind.

When I watched the film, I kept feeling that they’re trying to compare the simple life of the peasants(poor) and the ambitious and scheming world of the rich and powerful.

The main reason why Xiao Feng ran away from home is that he prefers a simple life rather than his blood-filled life as a sword master who needs to defend his family and clan’s reputation.

• Sword master (Chinese Movie)
  • As a martial art film, I think the actions are pretty fluid and also pretty realistic and logical. I’ve seen enough martial art movies to see totally illogically moves that defy law of gravity and movement limit of human joints. Sword master did pretty well on this area, with little to none over exaggerating effects or actions without compromising artistic qualities. I especially like the shadows fighting scenes, they’re really good.

• Sword master (Chinese Movie)
  • However, I feel they could do much better with their computer graphics of the background, for some of them just don’t blend in well and looks pretty awkward and fake. I don’t know how to describe it, but you’ll know it’s a CG background at one look.

The special effects, on the other hand are much better.

I am pretty torn between to recommend this movie or not. It’s pretty enjoyable, it has a pretty solid plot for a martial art film and the actions are pretty good. The cast did a reasonably good job, especially Peter Ho (Shi San) who portrayed his character exceptionally well. I don’t know why, it just didn’t make me excited enough to want to “shout it out to the world”.

I’ve given it a 7, although I really wanted to give it a 6.5 instead.

Toluwalase Olaoye says :

re : As a martial art film, I think the actions are pretty fluid and also pretty realistic and logical
I agree, just like every martial arts movie the most important aspect are the moves.The more amazing the skills are, the less important the plot is to us.

cpy replies :

hmm I agree, the most important aspect is the moves, however, as there’ll be quite some “fillers” between the fights/action scenes, it can get boring if the plot is too sloppy.

Andrew says :

What did you like most about this movie?

cpy replies :

Hmm…I can’t pick one …
Maybe it’s the actions.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1130011658170531/k2311a0130/1.30.17