Hacksaw Ridge (2016 Biographical War Drama Film)
  • I admit I did not have any desire to watch this film ever since it was announced Mel Gibson is seating at the director's chair
  • Until such time the reviews became surprisingly glowing and everyone went to see the film in droves that I started to slowly embrace the idea that I will need to watch this whether I like it or not
  • And that's why no one in his troop trusted him to save them and he was asked politely and brutally to just quit the army and go home because he will be useless in the battle
  • Romance, family, survival, the big war, etc. If I could nitpick for things that I don't like in the movie, the romance particularly in the beginning is borderline saccharine and corny in the most possible way that now I think Pearl Harbor is a masterpiece
  • But it is also a hard watch, a unique reminder of the worst time any man could go through - and the film lets the audience experience that, hoping that in some ways, we or our leaders will sit through this movie and say in conclusion, We will never do that again

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

I admit I did not have any desire to watch this film ever since it was announced Mel Gibson is seating at the director’s chair. Plus the idea of another war movie is exhausting to think about unless your name is Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk will be released this year and this is the first time I am really excited for a war movie). Until such time the reviews became surprisingly glowing and everyone went to see the film in droves that I started to slowly embrace the idea that I will need to watch this whether I like it or not.

Yes, I am surprised I actually like this movie… a lot.

• Hacksaw Ridge (2016 Biographical War Drama Film)
  • This is based on a true story. Desmond Doss signed up in the army because he can’t handle the guilt of sitting home and watching the other boys fight for him, but he doesn’t want to fight neither. See the problem? His is a special case. He does not want to hold a freaking gun but he is going to war. Now he seems to be dead-on-arrival isn’t it? And that’s why no one in his troop trusted him to save them and he was asked politely and brutally to just quit the army and go home because he will be useless in the battle. But he refused to stand down and went with the other boys to the battle in Hacksaw Ridge.

• Hacksaw Ridge (2016 Biographical War Drama Film)
  • Hacksaw Ridge shares similar elements to other war movies. Romance, family, survival, the big war, etc. If I could nitpick for things that I don’t like in the movie, the romance particularly in the beginning is borderline saccharine and corny in the most possible way that now I think Pearl Harbor is a masterpiece. Truth be told the romantic elements in this film just don’t work, there’s no real stake between the two lovers movie-wise. I don’t think they fully developed this aspect of the film despite taking a huge chunk in the first act.

The family aspect could have been explored a bit more too, but instead they are shown to us in little flashbacks. I have seen so many films in the past few months that have used the strengths of flashbacks for an emotional payoff which I think could be the reason why I am fully aware of what is going to happen to Desmond once he starts remembering his fights with his father - and as a result I did not receive the same emotional weight anymore.

• Hacksaw Ridge (2016 Biographical War Drama Film)
  • However the film redeems itself in the most important aspects. I view this as a major war film, and my God, the war scenes are so explicitly brutal that I think I am fighting with them. This is probably the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan. I was stunned once the battle started and heads were flying off with bloods splattered all across the screen. I figure not many people can go through these scenes, it is so painful and gut-wrenching to watch in the worst way possible. But that’s why I think this is the best war movie since Private Ryan, the war was excruciatingly horrifying that it made a huge reminder for humanity: let’s not do this anymore and this is the reason why.

• Hacksaw Ridge (2016 Biographical War Drama Film)
  • Andrew Garfield’s leading performance as the decorated hero could very well be the best performance of his career so far. I really thought he couldn’t pull this off. I have preconceived notions that this type of role is not suited for him, that he is better in roles like Spiderman but he proved me wrong, the same way he proved everyone inside the movie wrong with his faith. His accent is surprisingly acceptable, even better than I expected it to be perhaps. He really believed in his character and in the end, I can see the hero inside his portrayal.

This film has a large cast. The soldiers are good but some are very forgettable, except for the big names like Vince Vaughn and Sam Worthington. Hugo Weaving’s Tom Doss (Desmond’s father) is my favorite supporting character. He was in the war before and the traumatic experiences he is having can be very visible in his performance.

• Hacksaw Ridge (2016 Biographical War Drama Film)
  • The biggest letdown for me is the screenplay/script. It’s too melodramatic at first, so many cliched lines, and is really dragging. It picks up in the second half when the war started, so that’s passable but I think everyone who expects this movie to get a nomination for Best Original Screenplay will be very disappointed. Reminds me of Titanic.

I love the music though, it’s very patriotic but it really works. Especially in scenes where it is truly needed. Very memorable as well.

The cinematography is something unique. The first half really shows the contrast to the second. It is characterized by vibrant colors until it dips into more drained tones during the war. I think the camera achieved something unique in the war scenes - the filmmakers are brave enough to show the bodies being shot/blasted during the battle which many films try to avoid using extreme pans and cuts.

So yes, Hacksaw Ridge is one of the few war films that really shows the true horrors of war while also showing a great act of humanity. It’s hard not to be emotional once the movie ends; to know such true story exists in a world where it is a natural instinct to retreat once you realize the enemy has the upperhand. But it is also a hard watch, a unique reminder of the worst time any man could go through - and the film lets the audience experience that, hoping that in some ways, we or our leaders will sit through this movie and say in conclusion, “We will never do that again.”

adam says :

The film is very interesting. This film drama genre military nuanced, so that there is tension and very interesting storyline. Details of the film are concerned deeply, so that the audience is made wondered what the next seconds so I recommend this movie for movie lovers military nuanced drama genre thrilling

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

Agree with what you said, although I think the first half is so full of melodramatic cliche. Thank God for the outstanding war scenes though. :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1123011658060531/k2311a0123/1.23.17