Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill (2016 Song)
  • There is no doubt that Ed Sheeran is among the most talented singers in the world right now
  • I still believe the early days-Ed Sheeran is the best version of himself, the songs he written when he first entered the industry are among the most honest ones I have heard so far
  • I am not a fan of most songs but it's a normal progression
  • Reminds me when Adele titled her albums with her age, but this tactic despite being coherent is getting old and boring now
  • I wish Ed continues to impress everyone with his storytelling abilities through the power in music

• by Laudemhir Jan Parel

There is no doubt that Ed Sheeran is among the most talented singers in the world right now. His ability to write from his personal experiences or from his viewpoint of heavy themes drips heavily in the lines of his songs. What sets him apart from other great singer-songwriters is his easily captivating melodies. They’re not the type I would call “catchy” but his songs are the type people would normally sing at the top of their lungs. I still believe the early days-Ed Sheeran is the best version of himself, the songs he written

when he first entered the industry are among the most honest ones I have heard so far. After his success with his debut album “+”, he took elements of what he’s known for and improvised them for “x”. I am not a fan of most songs but it’s a normal progression.

Now he is coming back for another era called “divide”. Reminds me when Adele titled her albums with her age, but this tactic despite being coherent is getting old and boring now. I mean what will Ed make of his 11th album? “Integral”?

One of the

two new songs he released is called “Castle on the Hill” and it’s my personal favorite among the two. I don’t love One Direction but this song somehow reminds me of their music matched with early U2 influence as well as a little bit of Mumford and Sons (particularly Wilder Mind). The problem with One Direction’s music is that there’s nothing beneath the surface, no layers in their lyrics. Ed Sheeran take his songwriting skills in this song, hence it becomes very authentic and honest.

It is a very guitar-driven, teeny-pop, great on-the-road kind of song ...

• Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill (2016 Song)
      that should be on top of the best travel music to play this year. The song really explodes in its production, it’s instrumentation bursts like fireworks without hindering Ed’s top-of-the-game vocals.

And the lyrics does feel very genuine. Ed talks about his growing up in a countryside, remembering the good things of his youth before eventually settling into fame. For people who keeps leaving their hometown like me, the song will give you the urge to revisit the good old memories. “And I can’t wait to go home,” Ed sings with a real longing from the

place where he broke his legs when he was 6.

I wish Ed continues to impress everyone with his storytelling abilities through the power in music. He has done it before, he has done it again now, and I’m sure he can do it again in the future. What this world needs is good music that holds true to the heart of a musician, not throw-away pop songs with no level of depth at all. Play this once and I’m sure you’ll be singing with Ed the next time the chorus hits, “I’m on my way, driving at 90.”

Giordano says :

This is not my favorite song he’s written. But of course,
it’s my opinion. The arrangement gives me a classic appeal
and i’d like to hear more experiments in terms of sound.
But he’s a good storyteller in his songs so. that compensate )

katherine hurtado says :

I really like this song, it has a very quiet vibe and makes you feel chill and peaceful. It’s one of his greatest productions and you feel like you are inside a story and very few songs can do that.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

Opposite for me, this is one of my favorite songs from his current record. And yeah, I agree with your last point, he is indeed a good storyteller. :)

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

I’m with you Katherine Hurtado, this has a chill and nostalgic production. Reminds me of my old town, which connects with the story of the song.

Nahiyan says :

re : I wish Ed continues to impress everyone with his storytelling abilities through the power in music
i think ed sheeran has this magical ability to tell stories through music which is amazing.He is able to connect the hearts.Castle on the Hill takes the listeners back to the beginning of everything.It triggers sense of nostalgia.Suddenly we all feel the need to go back to old times.We are reminded of every memories and moments through his soothing voice.And every songs portray his stories which reminds us of ours.His power of telling stories through music is a gem to music industry.As an audience, I truly wish he continues to tell stories and keep winning over peoples’ hearts.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

Yup, I think the most powerful tool a songwriter can have is to share his/her personal stories through music and let the world connect with it. Ed is a master of that. His stories are personal and that’s why they matter. :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1419011658040331/k2311a0119/1.19.17