City Star Hotel, Yangon, Myanmar
No.169/171, Mahabandoola Garden Street, Kyauktada Township, Yangon
  • Since I had not been to Yangon before, and google street view facility is not available for the whole Myanmar
  • My room was on the ninth floor, and I was very happy because from the mini balcony I could see the whole City Hall including its courtyard in the center, clock tower of the Yangon Region Court, the upper part of the Independence Monument in Maha Bandoola Park, and the magnificent Sule Pagoda
  • But to my surprise, the wireless internet connection in my room was very strong
  • Porridge, steam rice, and bread were available but the taste was just so so
  • In all, I was pleased to stay in this hotel and would like to recommend you to stay there if you visit Yangon

by Pusaka

When visiting a foreign city, my preferable hotel is that the one near a transportation hub and common facilities such as restaurants and supermarkets, and easy to get to the airport. A place that is near to tourist spots is a plus. Room rates are also taken into my consideration. Since I had not been to Yangon before, and google street view facility is not available for the whole Myanmar; it is difficult for me to decide which hotel to book. Finally, City Star Hotel was chosen because its location that is near to Sule Pagoda, the City Hall, and Maha Bandoola Park. All of them are considered to be tourist spots. It is also only 15 minutes on foot to Sule Square supermarket, or to Yangon Central Railway Station, and no more than 25 minutes on foot to Bogyoke market where I could buy some souvenirs.

I got a deluxe room of 30 square meters for 106 dollars a night facing the street. My room was on the ninth floor, and I was very happy because from the mini balcony I could see the whole City Hall including its courtyard in the center, clock tower of the Yangon Region Court, the upper part of the Independence Monument in Maha Bandoola Park, and the magnificent Sule Pagoda.

The facilities in the room were standard such as shower, a hairdryer, a fridge, and a television. But to my surprise, the wireless internet connection in my room was very strong. I could work and learn about the next tourist spot to visit, made a phone call through VOIP to my daughter at home, and got connected to my friends and colleagues through whatsapp. Due to this massive internet use, the television was hardly ever watched.

Breakfast was simple. Porridge, steam rice, and bread were available but the taste was just so so. The place was not spacious, and tables seemed to be insufficient. Hotel guests might have to wait for a moment to be seated. Language was a problem when ordering food to be delivered to my room. But the manager quickly resolved the problem, and I was very happy with that.

• City Star Hotel, Yangon, Myanmar
  • City Star Hotel. A medium-sized hotel, which is near to tourist spots, a supermarket, and railway station. Taxis are also available and easy to hail, just walk for 2 or 3 minutes towards Sule Pagoda Rd.

• City Star Hotel, Yangon, Myanmar
  • A family room with a king-seized and a single beds. A fridge, a television, a hairdryer, and shower are available. Internet connection is also strong. One small negative point is that there is no safety deposit box in the room.

• City Star Hotel, Yangon, Myanmar
  • The City Hall,the Independence Monument (upper left corner), and Sule Pagoda (upper right, yellow in color) viewed from the mini balcony of my room.

• City Star Hotel, Yangon, Myanmar
  • Sule Pagoda (viewed from the balcony of my room), its golden color is very beautiful in the evening.

• City Star Hotel, Yangon, Myanmar
  • Breakfast is simple and not tasty. The menu is very similar from day to day. But it is enough to give you energy to explore the city until lunch time.

City Star is very easy to find. All taxi drivers could drive me easily to this hotel. All reception staffs were hospitable and helpful. In all, I was pleased to stay in this hotel and would like to recommend you to stay there if you visit Yangon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 218011658021231/k2311a0118/1.18.17