Toni Erdmann (2016 film)  » Movies  »
  • This is definitely pure cinema , unlike the overly artificial Hollywood movies of this modern generation
  • And that's the best thing about it, the raw cinematic ambiance that has been constantly forgotten in today's time
  • And the themes are so universal that I believe a lot of people could actually relate to
  • Nonetheless, the film takes you on a very well-timed comedic experience that it becomes really hard not to laugh so loud that your neighbors begin to think you are becoming insane
  • If you want a really good laugh, or if you like me who has not managed to lived at all, then I highly recommend this one

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

2 hours and 42 minutes is a lot of time, and if I am a productive person I would be able to do so much other than just sitting in my comfortable chair watching a german-language movie called “Toni Erdmann”.

Truth be told, the first 10 minutes is a real struggle to go through, I almost stopped watching the movie because I was unsure if I want to continue at all. But I’m glad I did because this long amount of screen time pass by like a whirl of the wind after it picks up. Despite the fact that the film is constantly talking and not even a single music to support its emotional moments, it still moves through like dynamite and by the time it hits the climax you’ll likely think to yourself, “My god, is it over already?”

• Toni Erdmann (2016 Foreign Film)
  • This is definitely “pure cinema”, unlike the overly artificial Hollywood movies of this modern generation. And that’s the best thing about it, the raw cinematic ambiance that has been constantly forgotten in today’s time. And the themes are so universal that I believe a lot of people could actually relate to. The examination of a father-daughter relationship that is put in its center as it becomes increasingly ambitious as the movie hits an emotional high in its climax. Nonetheless, the film takes you on a very well-timed comedic experience that it becomes really hard not to laugh so loud that your neighbors begin to think you are becoming insane.

• Toni Erdmann (2016 Foreign Film)
  • Thanks to its very dedicated performances, I have managed to find myself a great time to feel for these characters. Peter Simonischek plays Toni Erdmann (although that’s not really his official name in the movie) who is a lonely father living alone, and constantly trying to make a fool of himself by putting make-ups (like the Joker above) and fake teeth. When his dog died he decided to stalk his career-obsessed daughter Ines played by Sandra Hüller in Bucharest, and the craziness of their journey-to-reality begins.

The film never pauses from here, yet it takes so much of its time evolving these characters. It’s like the actors have truly put themselves in the roles they play that I begin to imagine them as real father and daughter.

• Toni Erdmann (2016 Foreign Film)
  • Most movies with the same lengthy time can do a lot of cutting in the editing room to make them very concise and fluid, but in here, there’s really nothing to cut. It’s built in very spontaneous surprises, and the film uses that technique to provide genuine comedy to the audience. If I have to choose for the funniest film of 2016 then this definitely becomes my choice, by a far margin. The explicitly-filmed nude scene is one of the most hilarious scenes I have seen in my entire life. I bet everyone who is emotionally invested already by the time this scene pops up will get the same laugh-out-loud moment as I did. Perhaps it is because of the spontaneity, the randomness, and the absurdity of the scene that truly elevates it to comedy gold.

• Toni Erdmann (2016 Foreign Film)
  • But of course beneath the surface, lies the true sadness that the film has steadily foreshadowed since its beginning. Moments, I think is the main theme of the movie, hence why there are so many memorable ones in here. Toni Erdmann wanted her to daughter to reflect in her life, if she ever lived at all. That beyond her steady career, is she really happy?

This spoke to me on so many levels as I have decided to abandon my social circle so that I could entirely focus to myself and my studies. But the cost I had to pay weighs heavier than the rewards I sowed. I was always unhappy despite the fact that I successfully passed my subjects. It felt like I lost when I gave up the fun part of life, friends.

• Toni Erdmann (2016 Foreign Film)
  • And Toni Erdmann teaches us to do something differently, to create moments to ourselves so that in the future, we can look back and see that indeed, we beat life’s seriousness. And we can see that in the final scene with Toni and Ines, Ines finally realized that her dad’s purpose on stalking her was to give her a break from her career, to owe herself the life she never lived.

Of course I have to owe that to the great performances of the actor who showed real emotions in the screen. Sandra deserved every praise she has gotten for this film so far. Peter’s Toni Erdmann is such a memorable character that I don’t think I’ll forget him in the future. His “don’t take life seriously” point-of-view is something I’ll always tell to myself.

Maren Ade, the director, has created a really special film. I have not seen her previous features, but this one is enough for me to say that she’s a gifted filmmaker. She managed to create a clash of pure comedy and real sadness that’s going to touch the hearts of the viewers. There are so many lessons from Toni Erdmann that I believe a lot of film have failed to successfully tackle, yet it does so ambitiously as it deeply-rooted it to the souls of the characters. If you want a really good laugh, or if you like me who has not managed to “lived” at all, then I highly recommend this one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1113011658010231/k2311a0113/1.13.17