TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion Pedal
  • For the music I like to listen and play, which is good old heavy metal, trash metal and some kind of bluesy and fusion rock, I think that the TC Electronic Dark Matter distortion pedal does a pretty good job
  • A lot of reviewers say that the pedal lacks in bass and low end but I think that this issue is easily fixed just by adding some bass on the clean channel of your amp
  • I really enjoyed the sound of a Fender Stratocaster in a Fender amplifier with the Dark Matter distortion
  • I highly recommend it for some leads which will really stand out with this distortion pedal
  • It all comes down to personal taste in the end and what you are looking for regarding sound and other options that the products in this category offer

by guitarhero83

For the music I like to listen and play, which is good old heavy metal, trash metal and some kind of bluesy and fusion rock, I think that the TC Electronic Dark Matter distortion pedal does a pretty good job. The thing that most players should be aware of is the amplifier clean sound which this pedal will be put in front. A lot of reviewers say that the pedal lacks in bass and low end but I think that this issue is easily fixed just by adding some bass on the clean channel of your amp. So it is very important to have a good amplifier with a good clean sound. I tried this pedal in front of a Mesa Boogie, Laney and Fender amplifiers and it sounded awesome. I also tried it with guitars that have single coils and humbuckers and the pedal responded very well to it. It has brought out all the characteristics of the guitars (coils) to the maximum. I really enjoyed the sound of a Fender Stratocaster in a Fender amplifier with the Dark Matter distortion. The strong part of this pedal is the middle range and it has a lot of it. I highly recommend it for some leads which will really stand out with this distortion pedal.
  • TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion Pedal
  • Regarding the ease of use, the TC Electronic Dark Matter distortion pedal is really easy to use. I guess that is why it does not come with a manual in the original package and you get only the sticker for your guitar case (smile). So it is pretty user friendly and you can get a really good tone out of it in no time. There are four knobs: the gain knob, the volume knob, the bass knob and the treble knob. In the middle of all that there is a little voice switch which allows you to add more middle range in the mix. It also has a stage ready red led light so you always know if the pedal is active or not when you are in the dark of the stage.

• TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion Pedal
  • Regarding the looks of the pedal, it is done pretty well. It is like this metallic black color with white letters and it looks pretty simple but in a good way, really classy. Regarding the durability, it is awesome. Like all the products from TC it looks and feels pretty solid and you do not have to worry that the pedal will be damaged if you stomp too hard on it. The TC Electronic Dark Matter is not that big in size either. It is a standard stompbox size like the Boss pedals so it can fit in any pedalboard that you already might have. The pedal is also reliable which means that there is no need for any backup, at least I did not feel that I needed some when playing gigs with this distortion. The TC Dark Matter runs on 9V battery and 9V ac adapter. Like I always say, it is better to use an adapter and do not have to worry about running out of batteries, which I think, this distortion pedal dries them batteries pretty quickly. The TC Electronic Dark Matter distortion pedal have also the true bypass that works pretty well, so that is a big plus regarding the sound if you want to switch to clean and hear the sound of your amp like it really sounds like.

• TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion Pedal
  • The overall impression is that the distortion pedal is easy to use, it is very nicely done for live use with its red led light and all the knobs. The voice switch is built in a way that will not get in the way when you switch the pedal on and off. The aforementioned voice switch is small and put in the middle of the knobs so this is a pretty nice position to have it, so you can see the settings of the knobs and of the voice switch clearly. But in my opinion, once you have found your preferred settings, you will not need to mess around with any of the controls during the show. I mentioned in the beginning the styles of music that I like and that this pedal does them pretty well, and I stand by that claim. I only want to make clear that for those who play death metal, I think that the TC Electronic Dark Matter is note suited for. The aforementioned pedal is very clear sounding and it has a nice middle range sound variations that you can play with, which implies that it is more suited for leads, melodies and some dirty rock and hard rock sounds.

• TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion Pedal
  • The TC Electronic company is known for making high quality products for a long time and they know their job when it comes to effects for guitarists. All products that I have tried from them are always high quality in built, reliability, durability and sound so you will not be wrong if you go for any of their products.

• TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion Pedal
  • Also the thing to take in consideration is that a lot of established and influential guitarists use their products and even have signature models and sounds so I like to think that if someone like that uses those products, they can not be low quality or bad in any way.

But I recommend always to try the gear before you buy it. It all comes down to personal taste in the end and what you are looking for regarding sound and other options that the products in this category offer. All in all, awesome product. Highly reccomend.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2017. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1611011657860331/k2311a0111/1.11.17