Job at Anchor Packaging, Paragould, AR Plant  » Job  »
2.0
Paragould, Arkansas
  • When I got laI'd off, I decided not to return

• by Jamie Gordon

I keep hearing all these advertisements I’m here in Paragould for Anchor Packaging and, in the the advertisement, the phrase ‘we haven’t had any layoffs’ in x amount of years. This phrase really is irritating. The company itself probably has not had to lay anyone off in years, but that’s because they give that borden to a third party to deal with.

Like most factories, Anchor hires through a temporary agency for their labor demands. I worked for the plant located in Paragould, AR for about 6 months. Like everyone else that I worked with, I was hired through a local staffing agency. When I was hired on, I

was told I could go full time in 3 months. Most of the people who I worked with had already been working in there, some up to a year.

I quit a full time position to take the position at Anchor under the impression that I would be hired on full time. Again, I stayed with the company about 6 months, until I was due for a layoff for Christmas and New Years. When I got laI’d off, I decided not to return.

Of course, there was several more complicated instances that helped sway my decision. 10 hour shifts were mandatory and that was fine. I knew this before I started the job. For starts, there was only two 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. It was a 5 minute walk to the front of the building. Locks were never passed out for lockers, and things came up missing from your locker faithfully. I tried keeping my lunch in my locker after someone stole my lunch from the community refrigerator one night. 10 hours is a long time to go without food in such a physically demanding job position. So, without a lock, and you couldn’t bring your own, your stuff was still stolen.

You was not permitted to enter your vehicle during breaks; ...

• Job at Anchor Packaging, Paragould, AR Plant
      entering your vehicle was considered voluntarily quitting your job. I was getting off my shift my last night working there and caught the plant owner in my personal locker. He commenced to chewing me out in front of everyone else who was getting off work about me having food in my personal locker.

Other issues included, you were not allowed restroom breaks unless one of the managers liked you personally and was willing to take your place on the assembly line in order for you to take a break. About 60% of the employees were women and they was constantly arguing and fighting with each other about whatever

man was working there that they liked. None of these issues was ever addressed by management.

This was the most unmanaged and unprofessional jobs I’ve ever had. The work environment did not have heat or air. People were constantly stealing your possessions. The roof leaked while it rained and this company handles cookware. Management thought it was acceptable to literally cuss you when things didn’t go as expected. Everyone who worked there was fighting or arguing with each other. And best of all, they do not hire you directly in, so the radio advertisement is technically accurate. They would have to hire people in order to lay people off.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 67121657500731/k2311a127/12.7.16