Shetland Sheepdog  » Pets  »
  • After a couple years of research looking for the perfect breed I found the shetland sheepdog also known as the sheltie
  • I purchased my first sheltie about a year ago and he has been the best friend I could ever have
  • Although I love my shelties and believe them to be the best breed for me, they are not for everyone

• by Valerie Parker
      Ever since my first dog died, I have done so much research trying to find a dog breed that would match his character and intelligence. After a couple years of research looking for the “perfect breed” I found the shetland sheepdog also known as the sheltie.

They are ranked as the 6th smartest breed and I wanted a dog that was smart but small.

I purchased my first sheltie about a year ago and he

has been the best friend I could ever have.

What makes him so wonderful is his innate sense, characteristic of the breed, to be able to sense how I am feeling and act accordingly.

If I am in a good mood and happy, he wants to play, however if I am sick or feeling down, he is content to just keep me company.

After buying my first sheltie, I now understand the quote “shelties are ...

• like potato chips, it’s impossible to just have one” because I now am owned by shetland sheepdogs and am planning on breeding this wonderful breed in the near future.

Although I love my shelties and believe them to be the best breed for me, they are not for everyone.

They are a very noisy breed so they are definately not a good choice for an apartment.

They also have a tendency to be reserved

around strangers which makes socialization a must.

They have a long coat so they tend to shed about twice a year and constant grooming is important to keep them in tip top condition.

They are extremely intelligent animals and should not be left alone for long periods of time.

However, if you’re looking for a dog breed that can excel in all kinds of sports from herding to obedience, and a great companion then the sheltie is for you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292005165740231/k2311a0520/5.20.07