Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016 Fantasy-Adventure Film)  » Movies  »
  • I can still remember the time I was amazed by their accents
  • So when the series was about to end, I was really sad
  • However, a few years later, Warner Brothers announced a new film about one of Harry Potter's textbook, an encyclopedia of magical creatures called Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • He was really good, and I'm pretty sure everyone who has seen the film with me will agree with my statement

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

I am a huge fan of Harry Potter. The books and the movies were all important part of my childhood. The reason why I am into reading today is probably because the Harry Potter books made me realize reading is fun. The movies were the first English-language series that I have paid attention too. Ever since then I constantly watch English movies. I can still remember the time I was amazed by their accents. Ron’s phrases, “bloody hell” and “wicked” still remains iconic to my ears. And who could ever forget that time when everyone in your class can relate to, “It’s LE-VI-OH-SA not leviosar”. I miss these characters, Harry, Ron and Hermione were among my best imaginary friends when I was a kid.
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016 Fantasy-Adventure Film)
  • So when the series was about to end, I was really sad. Like everyone who grew up with these characters, it feels like a huge part of childhood being taken away from me. JK Rowling has created a world so magical and believable, that not a single day I longed for my Hogwarts letter being delivered by a magical owl.

However, a few years later, Warner Brothers announced a new film about one of Harry Potter’s textbook, an encyclopedia of magical creatures called Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The excitement in my face the day it was announced can be seen by anyone. Fast forward 3 years later, I was there at the cinema, first in line opening day, ready to feel the magic again.

• Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016 Fantasy-Adventure Film)
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them introduces a new hero in the Wizarding World. Newt Scamander is a magizoologist recently expelled in Hogwarts for endangering human lives with a beast. He went to New York in the early 1920’s with a case full of magical creatures, and accidentally some of his creatures escaped and began causing disturbances in the city. The Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA) was immediately alarmed because it could cause the exposure of their world. This began the journey of Newt Scamander, and he began to befriend a No-Maj (muggle, someone with no magical power) and two witches who helped him recapture his beasts.

• Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016 Fantasy-Adventure Film)
  • Eddie Redmayne was chosen to play Newt Scamander. And as always, he delivers yet another very complex performance. I can tell from the beginning that Newt is a very shy person. In the boat to New York, he was alone, with no friends at all. What makes me believe Eddie’s portrayal is his ability to not make the audience feel sorry for him. Even in scenes where he gets emotionally-filled, he remains composed. I have seen people complain that they could not relate to his story but the truth is that people like him are very distant, you can’t connect to them if you don’t look closely enough to understand their nature. My only complain is that I hardly understand some of his lines, his accent is so thick and he mumbles some of them. I might require subtitles the next time I am going to see this.

• Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016 Fantasy-Adventure Film)
  • The rest of the cast is very perfect. The one that really surprised me the most was the No-Maj, Jacob Kowalski played by Dan Fogler. I really expected the least of him but what I got was a very well-developed character. He is the audience’s eyes, he walk us through the magical like it was the first time we witnessed magic. Most of his scenes are really funny, it elevates the film’s more darker themes, and by the end, I can’t help but smirk with him. He was really good, and I’m pretty sure everyone who has seen the film with me will agree with my statement.

Another surprising performance was of Alison Sudol’s portrayal of Queenie Goldstein, a Legilemens which means she can read people’s minds. I have seen so little of her in the trailer but oh my, in every scene she’s in the film she literally steals everyone’s attention, and she’s really good at it. Her romantic subplot with Jacob was very effective, and it generated the most response from my screening for a really good reason.

I was a bit so-so in Katherine Waterston’s performance as Porpentina “Tina” Goldstein. Especially during the first half, however in the last half, she really redeemed herself. I’m hoping we will see more of her in the upcoming films.

• Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016 Fantasy-Adventure Film)
  • The film’s technical aspects are nothing short of noteworthy. The beasts’ designs were very cool-looking. There are some cute beasts in there that I really want to pet such as the niffler (the most memorable beast of them all).

The visual effects were surprising good as well. I was worried because the CGI in the trailers were kind of spotty, but thank God in the big screen the effects were really perfect. The 3D worked very well too.

The set and costume designs were flawless. They really gave this film a major 1920’s look.

The score was very addictive too. In fact this is the first time I have played an entire film score for more than a week. There are some parts that could become a classic, and there’s a scene where the music just elevates everything.

All in all, this is yet another exciting visit to the Wizarding World. JK Rowling has proven to be our generation’s most imaginative person. Without her work everything would be so different. Fantastic Beasts really surprised me in ways I could not imagine, it has the heart of the Harry Potter films yet it somehow different from all of them. Merlin’s beard, I can’t wait to watch 4 more of this!

tulips says :

Too much feel and talk about other thing and not the movie. Too little movie information and story. Disappointed.

tuliy says :

There is not good or enough info. about the movie story

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1125111657390330/k2311a1125/11.25.16