McCormick Brown Gravy Mix
  • I first noticed the McCormick brown gravy mix in packets when Publix was having a BOGO (Buy one Get one) sale, but it was not until I went shopping at Sam's Club when I noticed a large container for about $4 to $6 which is not bad considering how large the container is
  • However, heating the water first works better for me because I do not have to stand in front of the microwave constantly watching it to make sure it does not dry out
  • The best way I discovered to fix dried gravy is just to add more water to it but by the tablespoon in order to make sure you do not dilute the flavor of the gravy
  • It really is good and there are few food products that I can give a solid 10 and this one is it

by ReadingBug

I am just going to come right out and say that making gravy from scratch is not my forte and I envy those who are capable of doing so. Making gravy from scratch is probably one of the simplest skills a cook should have in their arsenal, but whenever I make it from scratch it either comes out as mud pie or inedible soup. Either way, I have learned that not all great cooks can master every recipe and this is why I use McCormick brown gravy mix and pass it off as my own.
  • McCormick Brown Gravy Mix
  • I first noticed the McCormick brown gravy mix in packets when Publix was having a BOGO (Buy one Get one) sale, but it was not until I went shopping at Sam’s Club when I noticed a large container for about $4 to $6 which is not bad considering how large the container is. When I first started using the McCormick brown gravy mix I used the packets to see if the gravy was really good and worth buying on a regular basis. It was good so that is when I went from the packets to the larger container.

• McCormick Brown Gravy Mix
  • The brown gravy is very easy to make which is why I like it because it takes out all the hassle of me trying to make the roux and then flavor it. All I have to do is add water and stir from there. I have prepared this gravy two different ways. The first way was when I put the gravy mix in a bowl, added water and then heated it up in the microwave while constantly stirring. The second way I prepared the gravy was by heating the water first and then adding it to the mix.

• McCormick Brown Gravy Mix
  • Regardless of which way you decide you are still going to have to strain the gravy for chunks of unmixed gravy. However, heating the water first works better for me because I do not have to stand in front of the microwave constantly watching it to make sure it does not dry out. Now, I have had to fix the gravy in the past because I either use too little of the gravy mix or I heated it in the microwave to long. The best way I discovered to fix dried gravy is just to add more water to it but by the tablespoon in order to make sure you do not dilute the flavor of the gravy.

• McCormick Brown Gravy Mix
  • After I have perfected the gravy to my liking and strained it I will pour it on my mash potatoes and ball out at the table eating. The gravy is so good that you cannot tell that I made it from a mix by simply adding water. It has the right consistency and flavor that only a good brown gravy can have. In the past when I wanted to be fancy I would add diced sauteed mushrooms in it just to really try to pass it off as my own, and to this day I still tell people my brown gravy is a family secret.

• McCormick Brown Gravy Mix
  • What really makes the McCormick brown gravy mix stand out is that I can make it within two minutes. I do not have to stand in front of the stove watching my roux to make sure I incorporated the butter to flour ratio properly, and dealing with the extra stuff such as the beef stock and other flavorings. Having to do all that is why I like to stay far away from making sauces from and gravies from scratch, but with this pre made gravy mix I feel like I am preparing a good quality of gravy to my friends and family without sacrificing on flavor.

If you are someone like me and you cannot make gravy to save your life, I would recommend you go out to whatever bulk store in your area and stock up on McCormick brown gravy by the case load. It is easy to make and none of your guests will be the wiser. You can prepare it as is or add extra ingredients such as mushrooms like I sometimes do. It really is good and there are few food products that I can give a solid 10 and this one is it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2717111657130930/k2311a1117/11.17.16