Gainesville FL, Joann Fabrics Store
3202 SW 35th Boulevard, Gainesville, FL 32608
  • I love to sew but unfortunately I do not have the luxury of living in a metropolis where there is an abundance of fabric stores to shop
  • I do, however, have a local Joann Fabrics store which is pretty good about keeping a nice supply of fabrics and other arts and crafts supplies
  • There is nothing in this store you cannot find to use for any of your projects, and if you are not looking for anything in particular you are guaranteed to walk away with something

by ReadingBug

I love to sew but unfortunately I do not have the luxury of living in a metropolis where there is an abundance of fabric stores to shop. I do, however, have a local Joann Fabrics store which is pretty good about keeping a nice supply of fabrics and other arts and crafts supplies.
  • Joann Fabrics Store
  • I am one of those people who did not start sewing until later in life, and when I did start sewing all the good sewing stores that had once occupied prime real estate in Gainesville had either relocated in a different part of the city or closed its doors for business entirely. At one point there were two Joann Fabrics stores, but one closed its doors for business while the other relocated to the Butler Plaza shopping center in a bigger retail space which was a win-win for sewers like myself because the products the store carries had expanded times three.

• Joann Fabrics Store
  • At first I was a little upset about Joann Fabrics relocating to Butler Plaza shopping center because it would be taking me further from my home, but once I had the chance to shop the store I realized the store made the right decision and it is surrounded by neighboring stores that I shop frequently which cuts down my drive time and saves me gas money.

• Joann Fabrics Store
  • When I first walked into Joann Fabrics, I noticed how well lit and spacious the store was. For some reason the other location was not well lit and everything appeared to be compact which is the complete opposite of the new store. There are more cash registers at the entrance of the store making it faster to get in and out, and they have better organized their magazine section which I hated having to go through at the other location because it was so hard for me to find what I like because everything was a jumbled mess. The waiting line also wraps around a shelf area which displays various candy brands, hand washes and lotions, arts and crafts, and sewing notions usually around $3 or less. The area is pretty much designated for the impulse buyers waiting in line.

• Joann Fabrics Store
  • Across from the register area is a variety of seasonal fabrics and the quilting area. Seasonal fabrics are fabrics based around a certain season or holiday such as fall or Halloween. Depending on when I shop for seasonal fabrics I can catch a good deal on them especially if there is a sale or the season or holiday has passed and their price has been reduced. The quilting area is stocked full of fabrics, tools and notions to help with any quilting project. I am the complete definition of a novice quilter, so I am always lost when I venture over in the area.

• Joann Fabrics Store
  • Next to the quilting area is where the fashion apparel fabrics begin. I love the Joann Fabrics fashion apparel fabrics section because they carry a variety of fabrics from solids to prints, and to faux leather and fur. Depending on the sale or how many coupons I have I tend to walk away with a lot of yardage of my favorite fabrics. Another reason I like the fashion apparel fabrics section is because Joann Fabrics always keeps their fabrics stocked. For example, there are some fabric stores that buy unused or unsold fabrics from mills, manufacturers, or designers. The good thing about that is you get a variety of fabrics, but the downside is once the fabric is sold then there is no more because the store only purchased what the mills, manufacturer, or fashion designer had in their supply. However, Joann Fabrics does not seem to operate like that because I fell in love with a gold animal print charmeuse fabric that is always in stock both in store and online. I have purchased the fabric time and time again to make dresses, as a liner in a coat, and for lingerie. I find that to be a definite positive in my book because I hate falling in love with a particular fabric only to discover a store is in limited supply.

• Joann Fabrics Store
  • Even though Joann Fabrics manages to keep a good stock of their fabrics, they also have a huge clearance section of fabrics to buy from. All the clearance fabrics are in excellent condition, and are usually on sale because the fabrics did not move well or the store is making room for new fabrics to enter the store. If you are serious about looking for a good deal you may spend a lot of time sifting through this area because it is not organized by fabric content like the shelves are. It is worth it though if you are looking for something special for a project you are working on. Also, there is a section within the fabric area for licensed fabrics such as sports teams and television shows and movies. I have stocked up on a lot of Spongebob fabrics for my son. There is home decor section but I seldom go into that area. Sewing home decor is not something I am interested in.

• Joann Fabrics Store
  • The jewelry section is well stocked and there is always something I can find to make for either myself or my friends. The jewelry comes in a variety of ways: There are some that are already put together you just have to add a clasp to it; there are string beads where the design is already put together you just have to transfer the beads to the wire of your choice; or the jewelry is broken down to the basic parts which gives you creative freedom to design whatever you want. The jewelry comes in a variety of beads, colors, and metal bases. I like their stock of jewelry making tools because I was able to get a five piece pliers set which should have been $12, but with my coupon I was able to get it for just short of the $6 mark. The pliers are sturdy and allow me to work with any sort of jewelry without breaking down on me.

• Joann Fabrics Store
  • I love venturing into the sewing notions area because it is where the sewing machines and sewing patterns are. Joann Fabrics carries all the brand sewing patterns, and I only shop for sewing patterns when there is a sale or when I have a coupon because $20 per pattern can get expensive. I try to look out for sales such as 3 for $5 or 5 for $5. All the patterns are in season, but what I sometimes dislike about that is when I discover an old pattern from a couple of years ago online and when I go to shop for it either in store or online it says the pattern is no longer in stock. Joann Fabric carries all the brand names for sewing machines. Because of my experience with Brother and Singer I tend to stick to these brands when it comes to buying sewing and serger machines. The store also keeps a stock of dress forms, but they tend to be limited in supply I guess because they move slower than the sewing machines. Within the notions area is the cutting table for fabrics and the ladies behind the counter are also fast and friendly. They are always curious about my projects I am working on, and we end up exchanging sewing tips and techniques we have learned.

• Joann Fabrics Store
  • The knitting section is one of the largest I have come across in any sewing store. The yarn comes in a variety of colors such as solids and prints, and some of the yarns have metallic thread in them. The texture of the yarns also come in a variety of finishes, and I have seen some which you can knit to create a cashmere looking sweater, socks, hats, gloves and scarves. I am in the true beginner�s stage so I tend to stick to the simple, solid colors before moving up to the advance metallic and textured yarns. They also carry knitting needles in different sizes to suit each project.

I like the art area of the store, but it is not as big as other stores I have been to. Prismacolor is a popular brand in the art world, and the store only carries a few items by the brand such as colored pencils. At one point I did see markers by Prismacolor, but they no longer seem to be available, and I could truly kick myself for not buying them when I did because I am never going to get them as cheap as I would have at Joann Fabrics. I have found other art brands that work just as well as Prismacolor and at a lower price, but I have not been able to find quality pens and markers for my fashion illustration. The supply of drawing pads is okay but tends to run on the thin side for the price tag. I am still learning how to draw a croquis from scratch, so I purchase a lot of their transparent drawing pads where I can insert the croquis underneath the drawing sheet and trace the outline of the body and then I draw the clothes.

There is a school supply area which I find to cater more towards home schooling and teachers. I found the materials available to be more helpful for early learners versus school aged students. However, there is a science kit section that caters to kids of all ages which seems to be more appropriate as a versatile teaching aide.

• Joann Fabrics Store
  • When it comes to scrapbook no store does it better than Joann Fabrics. Not only do they carry every product related to scrapbooking, they carry big brand names such as Martha Stewart and Cricut card and design making machines. I just got into scrapbooking and it is pretty fun if you know what you are doing. In the beginning I struggled with picking templates for my pages, but once I got the hang of it I started to like it, and it is a great way to save memories instead of just buying a photo album.

The baking area is another area where Joann Fabrics has no competition. They have an excellent supply of baking pans to make everything from cookies, cupcakes, cakes, pies, tarts, and lollipops. If you cannot find a pan in the baking area you either are looking in the wrong area or you do not know what you are looking for in the first place. I just purchased a baking pan to make doughnuts and mini pies. I also found ceramic cups to make mug cakes in the microwave with. If you are looking for anything Wilton the store has the best supply there is from decorating tips to icings and icing colors and flavorings to instructional books. I have to be fast when there is a sale because if I wait too long to buy something in the baking area it will be gone especially if anything is marked for clearance.

The home decor section is nice if you are in to making home decorations from scratch. I personally prefer to buy already made home decorations which are usually found in the seasonal section. If you are in to making a bouquet of flowers there is a generous selection of fake flowers to choose from.

When it comes to shopping at Joann Fabrics I highly recommend all sewers, bakers, knitter, and crafters to stop by this store. It may not be on the grand scale of larger fabric stores, but what the store lacks in opulence it makes up for with their products. There is nothing in this store you cannot find to use for any of your projects, and if you are not looking for anything in particular you are guaranteed to walk away with something. Another great thing about Joann Fabrics is they offer a variety of creative classes from art, jewelry making, cake decorating, sewing and more. Sometimes you can catch the classes offered at discount prices and sometimes at the full rate, but it is worth it regardless of what class you take. The instructors are both knowledgeable and patient with their students, and I have made a lot of friends from attending the classes. The classes are great to learn new skills and meet new people. There is always a good sale going on which another reason I love shopping a Joann Fabrics because I have saved at least $500 or more with their coupons and deep discounts.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2417111657020930/k2311a1117/11.17.16