Captain Fantastic (2016 Comedy-Drama Film)
  • However, films such as Sing Street, Swiss Army Man, Hunt for the Wilderpeople and all the small indie films that have been released so far have been blowing my mind
  • I watched a film called Captain Fantastic last night and to much of my surprise, and just halfway in I know it's exceedingly my favorite movie of the year so far
  • It was able to contrast what me as an audience think as right or wrong, and to show the varying degree of social issues that no one cares to notice in a civilized world
  • Captain Fantastic (no it's not a superhero film) and his family have been very intellectually and physically engaged, they do a lot of things that are not normal for the most of us - and that a lot of kids will not surely enjoy, but after watching this film I can assure that some of us will be able to look differently inside our lives
  • Captain Fantastic not only relies in its very thought-provoking message but also in the strength of its main cast, who gave all of their best to make this film not only memorable but among the best of the year

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

This year is the year of surprises for me. I have expected many films to be great, such as Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad and Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk and they end up not matching my expectations. However, films such as Sing Street, Swiss Army Man, Hunt for the Wilderpeople and all the small indie films that have been released so far have been blowing my mind. I watched a film called “Captain Fantastic” last night and to much of my surprise, and just halfway in I know it’s exceedingly my favorite movie of the year so far.
  • Captain Fantastic (2016 Comedy-Drama Film)
  • The film’s concept is very intriguing. From the moment it opened I already knew I am going to love its Pacific Northwest backdrop. Movies that are set in lush environments are really captivating in the eye, it gives me the feeling of being connected to the real world. Little did I know that the film will explode in its social commentary and blunt uniqueness. I don’t want to spoil the main plot of the film but it really is about the different values everyone of us have. It was able to contrast what me as an audience think as right or wrong, and to show the varying degree of social issues that no one cares to notice in a civilized world. And that to me is just one of the few reasons why I immediately admire this.

• Captain Fantastic (2016 Comedy-Drama Film)
  • The cast is very diverse and played their parts very well. It must have been a real challenge for the director to make the kids act like they are far more capable than adults. Captain Fantastic (no it’s not a superhero film) and his family have been very intellectually and physically engaged, they do a lot of things that are not normal for the most of us - and that a lot of kids will not surely enjoy, but after watching this film I can assure that some of us will be able to look differently inside our lives. This film will make you question as much as I did - and that is what good films should be.

• Captain Fantastic (2016 Comedy-Drama Film)
  • Viggo Mortensen plays Ben, the father and captain of the family was perfectly chosen for this role. He looked like Matthew McConaughey especially during the later parts of the film but other than that - he was out-of-this-world good. I can literally see him embodying someone who has very strong ideals in a very effortless way. There was a very somber moment in the film where he was alone - and that carried a humongous amount of emotion. That was the part when I can’t really stop crying, seeing him very broken affected me so much that I can’t even look directly at the screen. He effortlessly handled that scene very well and in fact very Oscar-worthy.

• Captain Fantastic (2016 Comedy-Drama Film)
  • The supporting cast was outstanding as well. As I said, it’s almost impossible how the director managed to maintain the integrity of the kids. They were able to act like real adults. The best among them is undoubted the oldest one, Bodevan who was given enough screentime for his character to shine. He was given was a very strong script near the end that would definitely tear everyone into pieces. The magnitude and delivery of his scene was truly heartbreaking.

The two young ladies were a pleasure to look at. And the younger kids were a whole lot of fun to be around. I actually find it relevant for myself when one of the kids started to recite the Bill of Rights because my professor has tasked us (4th year college) to memorize the Bill of Rights and I am having trouble while it seemed very easy for the kid.

• Captain Fantastic (2016 Comedy-Drama Film)
  • I have to say, the one thing that I admire the most is the script/screenplay of the film. It is very original, unique, witty and every other good adjective I can think of. It’s funny most of the time and then it softly shift into a very emotional moment the next second.

The scenery in this film is an absolute beauty to look at, although I do think the cinematography could have been handled better. I wanted more long-takes and less panning to make it more effective but oh well, what we see is what we get.

The soundtrack was very awe-inducing. It’s definitely what I would expect for a film like this but I am glad they never went for a more manipulative one. The more emotional moments were just about right in its music. Also, there is a bonus song in the end that will surely delight every audience - that’s when I know I’m going to be crazy for this movie.

All in all, this is a film that shows to us the clash of philosophies and values of every individual, our ability and choice to raise someone the way we want them to be and the realization that most of the time, what is right for some are wrong for others. Captain Fantastic not only relies in its very thought-provoking message but also in the strength of its main cast, who gave all of their best to make this film not only memorable but among the best of the year. Once the credit starts rolling, a grin randomly appeared in my face, I told myself, “No I don’t want this to end.”

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1116111657010230/k2311a1116/11.16.16