The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk - Starboy (2016 Song)
  • The Weeknd is definitely one of the most popular hitmaker right now
  • It's an interesting title, and even though I'm not really a huge fan, I clicked play and the song instantly became an earworm that day
  • In fact I played the song through the whole day because I can't get enough of it, eventually though it became overplayed so I had to stop listening to it for a week until hearing it again today
  • I don't pay much attention to the lyrics at all but I find it very compelling
  • And even though I don't think Starboy doesn't quite reach the heights of The Hills (which remains my favorite The Weeknd song) it still feels a very solid addition to The Weeknd's discography

• by Laudemhir Jan Parel

The Weeknd is definitely one of the most popular hitmaker right now. In case you are not familiar with his name, he was the one responsible for the huge hits “Can’t Feel My Face” and “The Hills” which were streaming giants when they were released. He also contributed to the soundtrack of the highly controversial sexual movie Fifty Shades of Grey with a song I’m sure some of you know “Earned It”.

He is wildly popular in Spotify, in fact that is where I discovered he has a brand new song with Daft Punk called “Starboy”. It’s an interesting title, and even though I’m not really a huge fan, I clicked play and the song instantly became an earworm that day. In fact I played the song through the whole

day because I can’t get enough of it, eventually though it became overplayed so I had to stop listening to it for a week until hearing it again today. It’s definitely a very cool song, it’s fresh and it sounds like a big hit that would literally be embraced by the hipster generation.

What I really find interesting is the production of the song. It sounds fresh and compact but it feels very minimalist. It seems like there’s a lot of things going on in the background but when I thoroughly listen to it, it’s just a few electronic beats and a piano and nothing more. At first I had a hard time identifying the chorus, it took me 3 to 4 listens to finally realize that there actually is

a hook in this song. The production is pretty similar/minimalistic throughout that the chorus doesn’t really explode like most pop song does. This doesn’t mean it’s a weak hook because after I got familiar with it, it becomes really addictive. Daft Punk must be the producer for this song as I don’t hear any robotic voice in the song at all. Daft Punk is the one behind another giant hit this decade “Get Lucky” which also features really addictive beat and catchy lyrics sung mostly by Pharrell Williams.

The Weeknd himself sounds good as always. He really have that unique voice that definitely stands out among the rest male singers in the industry right now. I do think his voice and Bruno Mars’ are the definitive male voices this decade ...

• The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk - Starboy (2016 Song)
      - you can’t really mistake their voices for someone else. Even if I heard this on the radio for the first not knowing who sings it, I would eventually figure it this is The Weeknd’s song because of his voice. It’s not a very typical male voice that I get to hear in the radios today. He doesn’t even have to try hard to reach the notes that every male singer would likely struggle. And even if this song doesn’t really features his usual vocal flares, it’s still well-sung. His very held-back vocal delivery really complements the minimalist production of the song.

I don’t pay much attention to the lyrics at all but I find it very compelling. I have managed to be familiar with the song and had almost

memorized it the day I heard it because it has that catchy aspect but funny play of words which I find very interesting. Of course, judging from the music video, the lyrics could be dark and gritty.

And even though I don’t think Starboy doesn’t quite reach the heights of The Hills (which remains my favorite The Weeknd song) it still feels a very solid addition to The Weeknd’s discography. The world is definitely ready for another The Weeknd song, I’m starting to hear it more often now, and of course, my hipster friends are already embracing it. I can see it being another big hit for him, which is good because at least we are offered with something new, and not the same generic pop rehashes that’s currently plaguing our world right now.

Happy Happily says :

re : It’s an interesting title, and even though I’m not really a huge fan, I clicked play and the song instantly became an earworm that day
I’m an indie enthusiast, but when starboy become a popular trend I directly searching for the title and listen this masterpiece over and over again.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

Wow, it’s nice to meet indie fans nowadays. Everyone in real life is so caught up with what is popular in the radio. I’m glad you loved this song too :)

irma says :

re : The Weeknd is definitely one of the most popular hitmaker right now
i agree with it is his time now and he has a chance with this album to put himself on top

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

Yeah, I really love him. He deserves the success he is enjoying right now. His music is great and he’’s got a great personality too

Berckam says :

re : In fact I played the song through the whole day because I can’t get enough of it, eventually though it became overplayed so I had to stop listening to it for a week until hearing it again today
The song Starboy is a very catchy song with is why it was a big hit when it came out

Mahesh says :

Its on my playlist I Hear It Everyday.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

I completely agree with you. One of the catchiest songs of the year. Especially the chorus. I love singing it too because it’s so chill.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

And while I don’t have it in me and nor do I hear it everyday, I can still fairly recall the sound of it which proves its staying power in its listener.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1417101656390531/k2311a1017/10.17.16