Novel Darkness Falls by Margaret Muphy  » Books  »
  • The novel alternates back and forth between the police who are trying to find her and Clara's interactions with her kidnapper
  • I really enjoyed this novel for a lot of reasons
  • For one, it had really interesting characters in it
  • There were some creepy murderers she put in jail
  • I mean, its not rated G, but its not terribly violent compared to other suspense novels I read

• by Sarah

Darkness Falls by Margaret Murphy is a suspenseful novel about a prominent lawyer and prosecutor named Clara Pascal who is kidnapped by a mysterious man and held captive in a dark basement. The novel alternates back and forth between the police who are trying to find her and Clara’s interactions with her kidnapper.

I really enjoyed this novel for a lot of reasons. For one, it had really interesting characters in it. The author gives all the minor characters backstories and really unique traits. I like how she made all the

police interact with each other and made their lives and relationships interesting. Each police officer was distinct and had a personality. The family’s grief and the police officers’ dedication to finding Clara alive is well-expressed, and it really draws you in. You find yourself identifying with Clara and wondering what is going to happen to her. The descriptions of her plight really made you feel at times like you with her in that basement. It was very suspenseful.

In the beginning, there are a lot of different suspects who could be Clara’s kidnapper. She was prosecuting a mobster who may have sent his people to kidnap her to stop the prosecution, which would have effected the case against him. he had a history of violence and frightening witnesses, so he is a likely suspect. There were some creepy murderers she put in jail. She also spent time as a defense attorney earlier in her career and worked with a number of really awful criminals, any of whom could be holding a grudge. Actually, I figured out who the kidnapper was early on, but that ...

• Novel Darkness Falls by Margaret Muphy
      didn’t diminish my enjoyment of the book because I kept reading, eager to find out whether or not I was right.

This was really a very well-constructed mystery with both likable and unlikable characters who were interesting. You want to follow and learn about what happens to them. You really get drawn in to Clara’s plight. Clara and her kidnapper interact in different ways as you try to figure out how he knew her and why he kidnapped her.

I had never read this author before; I saw the book on amazon and it

looked interesting, so I bought it. I may look for other books by her now.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good mystery. Also, I should note that despite the really disturbing cover, this book wasn’t very graphic. It didn’t have gory scenes of rape or murder which might upset a person who is sensitive to reading things like that and I think it really can be enjoyed by anyone who likes mysteries. I mean, its not rated G, but its not terribly violent compared to other suspense novels I read.

Andrew Leith says :

It was a fairly good book. It had mystery but as you said the plot was fairly predictable. I enjoyed reading your review on this book, thank you for sharing

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1710101656260431/k2311a1010/10.10.16