Pouncing On Murder by Laurie Cass  » Books  »
0.5
  • Of course the police don't believe Adam's story because the details keeping changing, except one officer name Ash Wolverson who suspects foul play and informs Minnie of his theory
  • I like amateur sleuth mysteries which is why I decided to read this book, but it didn't live up to any of my expectations except at the end and even that was short lived
  • The main character, Minnie Hamilton, is so boring
  • All in all, I can definitely say I didn't like Minnie as the main character because she was too underdeveloped
  • This is one amateur sleuth series I won't be finishing, and I would not recommend it because the book is too slow and boring, the characters, especially the main character, is just too boring to waste time being invested in her, and there are much better amateur sleuth mystery series worth reading

• by ReadingBug

Minnie Hamilton is the assistant director at the Chilson District Library, where her boss Stephen is preparing her to take over his position as director when he retires. Minnie runs the bookmobile along with her co-worker Julia and her cat Eddie. They make daily runs into the community, so patrons who are unable to go to the library will still have access to the materials provided by the library.

One day, Minnie is summoned into her boss’s office to discuss plans for a book fair. The book fair will bring in funds for the library as well as get new patrons to start using the library–more patrons means more funding for the library. As Stephen is discussing plans for the book fair, Minnie quickly realizes that she will be solely responsible for making sure the book fair is

a success. She is nervous about the idea, but embraces the challenge nonetheless.

While Minnie is out on her runs with the bookmobile, she hears disturbing news about Henry Gills who died under a falling tree. Minnie takes the news hard because not only was Henry a frequent patron of both the library and the bookmobile, but underneath his grumpy exterior he was actually a pretty nice guy; he even gave Minnie and Julia a jar of his maple syrup from his company.

Henry Gill’s death spreads through town quickly, and it seems like any other accidental death. Until strange coincidences begins to happen to one of Minnie’s bookmobile patrons, Adam Deering. Adam Deering was in the woods at the time of Henry’s death, and he was trying to save him; however, while trying to lift the fallen tree off Henry, he has a heart attack but swears to seeing someone running from the scene.

Of course the police don’t believe Adam’s story because the details keeping changing, except one officer name Ash Wolverson who suspects foul play and informs Minnie of his theory. After someone tries to run Adam off the road while Minnie was delivering books to him, she decides to help figure out who is trying to kill him by digging into Adam’s past as an accountant and of a man name Seth Wartella, who Adam sent to prison for embezzlement.

I was so torn when reading Pouncing On Murder because my interest in reading the book was lukewarm at best. I like amateur sleuth mysteries which is why I decided to read this book, but it didn’t live up to any of my ...

• Pouncing On Murder by Laurie Cass
      expectations except at the end and even that was short lived.

The main character, Minnie Hamilton, is so boring. There was nothing special about her, and her personality was even more dull. Everything about her was mundane: her job as a librarian, her long distance relationship with a successful Doctor, and her weird relationship with Ash Wolverson. The entire book she spends most of her time talking to her cat which bored me to no end. All in all, I can definitely say I didn’t like Minnie as the main character because she was too underdeveloped.

The start of the book was even worse because the story unfolds slowly. I think the author took three chapters just introduce the murder, and by that time I was ready to call it quits. There were way too many supporting characters in

the story who were not even relevant to murder or solving the case in general. The only part I enjoyed was the end when the killer was revealed and he was not who I had suspected; in fact, he wasn’t even after Adam but killed Henry in order to prevent him from revealing his affair to his wife, which he only married to have a comfortable lifestyle. After that the book went back to being boring, and I didn’t even bother reading the last chapter.

This is one amateur sleuth series I won’t be finishing, and I would not recommend it because the book is too slow and boring, the characters, especially the main character, is just too boring to waste time being invested in her, and there are much better amateur sleuth mystery series worth reading.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1730091656120730/k2311a0930/9.30.16