Fonias restaurant, Samothraki Island, Greece  » Restaurants  »
Fonias waterfalls, Samothraki Island, 68002 Greece
  • Hi, In this review I am going to write about my experience at the Fonias restaurant in Samothraki Island, Greece
  • We only got to the first waterfall, but the road was amazing, with a lot of massive trees and beautiful views of the forest
  • The restaurant has tables only outside, so if it is raining I do not think this is the best place to go
  • Unfortunately I did not took photos with all the meals that we had there, so you will have to trust me that the food is really good
  • I hope you liked my review and see you on the next one

by Oana Andreea

Hi, In this review I am going to write about my experience at the Fonias restaurant in Samothraki Island, Greece.
  • Fonias restaurant, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • The restaurant is situated in front of the parking that leads to Fonias waterfalls. From that place there is a mountain road that leads to 4 different waterfalls. The first one is about 30 minutes away, the next one 20 minutes away, the third another 20 minutes away and the last one about 40 minutes from the third one.

We only got to the first waterfall, but the road was amazing, with a lot of massive trees and beautiful views of the forest. You should take a bottle of water with you, because it gets really hot, even though you are somehow protected from the sunlight by the trees. The water from the river is good to drink, and because we did not take much water with us we had to drink from the mountain river.

The path is not at all difficult and there were also children at the waterfalls. I must confess that I am not a mountain person, but this little trip I did like. I must warn you that the water from the river is very cold, but there were a lot of people bathing, so it is up to you if you want to get a bath there or not.

• Fonias restaurant, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • After staying one hour at the waterfalls we decided to go back to the car. In the parking lot we also observed that there is a restaurant right on the other side of the road so we decided to eat there.

The restaurant has tables only outside, so if it is raining I do not think this is the best place to go. They have a big menu and many recipes to choose from, including fresh fish, pork meat, goat meat, appetizers and local wine.

Unfortunately I did not took photos with all the meals that we had there, so you will have to trust me that the food is really good. A big grilled fish was about 10 or 12 euros, the salads were 5 euros, the appetizers about 3 euros and the dishes with meat between 7 and 14 euro.

• Fonias restaurant, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • If you want to try something really Greek, you should try the goat meat. The portion is big enough and the meat is great. It does not have the distinct smell, nor the taste. It just melts in your mouth.

They have the menu and also some daily made meals, which do not appear in the menu. Those are fresh made dishes, both with meat or without, depending on your preferences. So you should ask the waiter to present their daily dishes.

The only thing I did not like was the fact that in our second visit at the restaurant we had to wait for about 15 minutes for the waiter to bring us the menu. The tavern is full with clients almost all the time and there are only 3 waiters, and just one of them speaks English.

• Fonias restaurant, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • We had tzatziki, spicy cheese salad, Greek salad, some kind of goat stew and also local wine. The local wine did not impress me much, so I would not recommend it. But you should try it, maybe I am wrong.

We also tried stuffed peppers with rice. The rice was very well cooked as well as the red pepper. I has to add a little bit of salt, but again this is my taste. This is totally a vegetarian dish and even though I am not a vegetarian I must say that I liked it very much.

In the next photo we have pork in the oven with tomato sauce and fried potatoes. The pork was very soft, and the tomato sauce spiced with local condiments. I like greet spices so I have always in my kitchen some oregano, basil, coriander and some Greek mixed spices.

• Fonias restaurant, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • The last photo is with a Greek salad. Tomato, cucumber, pepper, onion and fresh cheese. This was our appetizer at almost every meal, so we had tried it in every restaurant that we have eaten in our vacation. The taste is basically the same in all places, the only thing that can differ is the fresh cheese that can be more or less salted.

So this is the little restaurant from the waterfalls. Overall I would recommend this restaurant if it is not very crowded. I hope you liked my review and see you on the next one!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 729091656090830/k2311a0929/9.29.16