Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
Samothraki Island, Chora, 68002, Greece
  • The restaurant is the best choice if you want to spend a romantic night with your loved one
  • The moussaka is great and I think is the best moussaka I have ever eaten
  • I hope this review will be helpful for all of you who want to visit Samothraki Island

by Oana Andreea

I would want to talk you about a restaurant I have been to in my trip to Samothraki Island, in the summer of 2016. We visited this lovely island in august, with a perfect weather and not many tourists. Ouzeri 1900 Tavern is a restaurant in Chora, the capital of the island.

The entire village is situated on cliffs, and the restaurant is almost on the top, offering a beautiful view of the city, the sea and also the sunset. The restaurant is the best choice if you want to spend a romantic night with your loved one.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • I know that you are most interested about the menu and the products, so I will tell you a bit about what we have tried there. The restaurant has the menu written in many languages, so it is easy to know what you are eating. The below photo is from the Romanian menu and I know that you will not understand much, but at least you can see the prices. The have a lot of product to choose from and the portion are pretty big.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • We ended to choose this particular restaurant in the first night because we all wanted to try a Greek moussaka and we found it in this restaurant. The moussaka is great and I think is the best moussaka I have ever eaten. With potatoes on the bottom, a lot of meat, eggplant and a topping of béchamel, it was delicious. At the end I have to share my remains with some cats waiting by our table for some food. The price of this moussaka was only 8 euros, which I do not think it is much.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • They also have a special salad with fresh salad, parmesan, fresh and dried tomatoes and nuts, all covered with a sweet sauce. The price is 7 euros and it is big enough to serve two persons. You should really try this particular salad.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • The next photo is a recipe with eggplant and tomato. The eggplant was very well done and it almost melts in your mouth. The red sauce is very spicy, so if you don’t like spicy food you should avoid it. The price was 6 euros. Next to that is haloumi fried cheese with jam. It was crusty on the outside and very cheesy in the inside. A good started for every meal, which cost 4 euros.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • Next we have the traditional tzatziki. In those 7 days spend on the island I have eaten tzatziki at every restaurant. A good combination for me is tzatziki with fried potatoes, but you can simply eat it with bread or whatever you like. The price for tzatziki was 3 euros. Next by the tzatziki there is feta cheese with some condiments on it. This is not something special, as you can find it in any restaurant from the island. And the taste did not impress me in any way. It is just local cheese, at a price of 2.5 euros.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • The next item is a grilled cheese. The recipe is pretty simple, you put a slice of fresh cheese, 2 slices of tomato and a few slices of pepper. Complete with some Greek condiments, wrap it in aluminum foil and get it to your oven for 10-12 minutes. The result is very tasty and it should be an appetizer. The price was about 3 or 4 euros, I don’t remember exact.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • In the next photo we have a potato salad. This is also a pretty simple recipe: you boil the potatoes and then mix them with fresh red onion, red peppers and pickled cucumbers. I think the price was about 4 euros, which I think it is much considering the size of it and the taste.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • Next we have a spicy fresh cheese salad. Practically this is cheese mix with spicy red peppers and a little bit of sour cream or yogurt I think. Again, if you are not into spicy things, do not order this because it is pretty spicy.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • In the next photo there are some meatballs with tomato sauce and fried potatoes. The meatballs were very tasteful and the tomato sauce had the perfect condiments. It has a price of about 8 euros, which again I think it is a fair price.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • Next we have a traditional recipe with pork meat. I must admit that this is just perfect. With pieces of meat, tomato sauce and some vegetable, this is what you have to try to feel like you are eating a traditional Greek meal. The price was 9 euros, but it was totally worth it.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • We can now talk about the desserts. We have ordered some biscuit desert which is made with cocoa and Turkish delight, covered with a chocolate dessert. It was very good and I totally recommend it.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • Next we have another dessert, but unfortunately I don’t remember what is made from. I remember that it is not as sweet as the biscuit dessert, although it contains honey. This is a traditional dessert and cost about 4 euros.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • The restaurant has a lot of easy to make recipes, but as well as traditional Greek foods. Oh, and you totally have to try their lemonade. A recipe with fresh squeezed lemon, cinnamon and honey that is perfect. We also tried the local red wine, which had a sweet taste and it is a perfect match for the rest of the meals you can possibly serve there.

• Ouzeri 1900 tavern, Samothraki Island, Greece
  • The atmosphere is great, except they do not have any traditional music. I think this is the only thing that I would change for this restaurant. Very nice staff, very good location and very good food.

I hope this review will be helpful for all of you who want to visit Samothraki Island.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 728091656080330/k2311a0928/9.28.16