Ferry from Piraeus port to Ikaria Island, Greece  » Cruises/Ferries  »
  • It is not so expensive if you consider that Ikaria is pretty far away from the mainland
  • Unfortunately we didn’t see any dolphins, but that was ok
  • Although the ferry is very big, tourists make reservation weeks before their trip, especially for the car
  • This wasn’t at all a nice experience, so if you plan to take this trip at night you should find a place to sleep immediately after you’ve reached the ferry or get an expensive ticket with a seat reserved
  • Hope this was helpful for those of you who want to visit Ikaria Island by ferry

• by Oana Andreea

Hello,

My name is Andreea and today I’m going to talk about the ride with ferry from Piraeus port to Ikaria Island, Greece.

Piraeus is the largest port in Greece, situated near Athens. We were 4 persons traveling by car from Bucharest, approximately 1.200 kilometers away from Athens. The ride from Bucharest to Piraeus took us almost 20 hours. The first ferry is early in the morning, at 7 am. From Piraeus to Ikaria, the ferry will have a journey of 7 hours, stopping also in other islands.

The ferry is very big, but you will have to make bookings for your tickets. For the car we have paid 80 euros and another 40 euros for each person. It is not so expensive if you consider that Ikaria is pretty far away from the mainland. The same amount of money was paid for the return journey. Those prices are for the deck part of the ferry, so if you want to have

a seat and to take a nap, you should probably take another ticket, which is about 60 euros per person per trip.

It wasn’t my first ride with a ferry so I was very calm and I was trying to enjoy the trip. The ferry has a few coffee shops and a restaurant where you can eat a hot meal. Traveling by day was great, as a few seagulls followed us for a while, hopping to throw them something to eat. Unfortunately we didn’t see any dolphins, but that was ok. I just think they weren’t in the mood for playing with the large ship.

The weather was perfect, but you should be careful with your hat because the wind is pretty strong. It is so nice to stay on the ferry’s’ deck, in the sunlight and get a little tanned, so that is exactly what we did. For those of you who get bored fast, you should have some cards to play, a book to read or something to do is those 7 hours.

We’ve arrived in Ikaria at about 2 pm. Ikaria is a very quiet island, with little villages, with calm and welcoming people, with few accommodation places and with small beaches where you can relax. We’ve stayed at Ikarion Hotel, in the small village of Therma, just 2 kilometers away from the capital of the island, Agios Kirikos.

After 7 wonderful days we needed to go back to Romania. We have bought the return tickets at the same time with the rest of the tickets to make sure that we will have room on the ferry. Although the ferry is very big, tourists make reservation weeks before their trip, especially for the car.

The returning trip was at 8 pm, and we had the opportunity to see a nice sunset from the port, Evdilos. So we had to travel by night with the ferry, which wasn’t that great. At night ...

• Ferry from Piraeus port to Ikaria Island, Greece
      time there is nothing to do on the ferry. The restaurant and coffee bars are opened just a few hours and then it all shuts down.

But what is really bad is the cold. If you stay on the deck it will be very windy and also very cold. I’ve seen a lot of people, especially the young ones, having sleeping bags and trying to sleep on the deck and wherever there was a little room. Even inside of the big cabin, and at the restaurant tables, people were all over around and I had to be very careful not to step on them while I was also looking for a warm place to stay.

Unfortunately I didn’t find any warm place except under the stairs, at the third level of parking. It was so cold, that I couldn’t sleep at all. Besides that, every time the ferry stopped at an island, the doors to the parking were open and I

could really feel the smell of exhaust gases. This wasn’t at all a nice experience, so if you plan to take this trip at night you should find a place to sleep immediately after you’ve reached the ferry or get an expensive ticket with a seat reserved.

This time the ferry arrived in the Piraeus port at almost 4 am, from where we continued our journey back to Bucharest.

The conclusion is that the ferry is large enough to find your own place, and has a few services that are very welcomed, like the restaurant. The tickets with seat I think are great, but you can also have a truly experience on a ferry and just stay on the deck. If you travel by night, there will be very cold, so be sure you are dressed properly. Although it is a long trip to Ikaria Island, it worth’s it.

Hope this was helpful for those of you who want to visit Ikaria Island by ferry.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 414091655940830/k2311a0914/9.14.16