The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012 Coming-of-Age Drama Film)  » Movies  »
  • Some films do really affect me far better in my second watch than my first
  • However, there are times when everything becomes perfect
  • I think what I failed to see in my first watch was the outstanding character developments these characters have been through from the beginning to end
  • The lessons I learned in this movie is the reason why I love it so much

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

Some films do really affect me far better in my second watch than my first. Back then, 4 years ago, when I first saw this movie, it was nothing but a coming-of-age drama with a twisted end, one that I was so eager to watch because my ultimate crush, Emma Watson or Hermione Granger is starring in it. It was nothing like a mindblowing film.

However, there are times when everything becomes perfect. It’s either I have been through the same as the lead character that he somewhat became autobiographical or I am old enough to really feel for their struggles, or perhaps both.

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012 Coming-of-Age Drama Film)
  • The film has a very simple premise, one that is very straightforward and shun of complexities. It’s about a very socially-awkward freshman who befriends two seniors that will change everything about him. Happens a lot these days but for me, the film is more like a collection of complex character studies.

I think what I failed to see in my first watch was the outstanding character developments these characters have been through from the beginning to end. It is now more clear to me that the film is about understanding people and how it is important in today’s social culture. It is like a psychological film rooted in real life characters.

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012 Coming-of-Age Drama Film)
  • Talking about the performances in the film, I must say I am totally impressed with the whole cast. Logan Lerman plays Charlie, the lead character in the film who is very reserved and introverted. 4 years I wasn’t totally impressed with him because he plays the normal kind of guy - no big moments of acting showoff and the likes. However, it is all behind his subtleties that he shines thoroughly. He embodied what it truly is to be very awkward in the public and his need to just survive everything. I can really see the secrets he withheld in his eyes and the reason why he is what he is. In the end, I understand what it feels like to go through something that really traumatized you. I rooted for his character to pull through because at some point I really cared for him, I just wanted him to overcome his struggles because he deserved to live happily. I cried with his character because he deeply affected me - and that’s hard to pull off.

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012 Coming-of-Age Drama Film)
  • Emma Watson/Hermione Granger plays Sam - Charlie’s lead interest. She became my personal celebrity crush the moment I saw her in the Harry Potter saga. She still is my ultimate crush today because she really embodies the wit she portrayed in the Potter movies. And the biggest reason why I watched this film 4 years back was her - I just wanted her to have a career not being associated to Hermione Granger. I was totally impressed with her performance in this film, she really strayed far from something that people will always see in her. In fact she did so by playing someone who is struggling academically here which is the complete opposite of her character in the wizarding world. What I like about her character here is her objectivity and her good taste in music. She is so beautiful, every time I see her in the screen I don’t want to put my eyes off. She’s a thing to behold. Her american accent was kind of a so-so, especially for me who have watched the Potter films countless times, I still hear her british accent once in a while. But I know she tried her best.

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012 Coming-of-Age Drama Film)
  • Ezra Miller as Patrick is also a real highlight in this movie. He plays a queer trying not to be everyone else. He is your typical unique kind of guy, and I know that’s confusing but in every group, there’s that one who is really unique and positive. Of course there is a reason why people don’t want negativity - sometimes they suffer enough that they just want to numb the pain and that’s his story here. It’s very deeply affecting because his story tells you that no matter how people seem to be strong they break at some point. His performance here is a real breakthrough for him - and now he is in the brink of stardom getting big roles in the upcoming Justice League and Fantastic Beasts film. I seriously think it’s because of this movie that everyone started to like him. He is really good here.

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012 Coming-of-Age Drama Film)
  • One thing I forgot to mention was that this film is directed by the author of a novel. And that’s one of the best things that ever happened because what we get is something the author wants us to see. I think it doesn’t matter if you read the novel because this is the same vision that he wants his audience to see. The direction of this film is really flawfree. The pacing and the editing is not choppy, it just flows really well. Everyone had their time to shine and it doesn’t feel rushed.

The cinematography tries to be late 80’s looking. The amount of grain and dark palettes is a nice treat. The dark lights that are constantly present in the movie really adds to the depressed tone of the film.

The soundtrack is very outstanding. The use of David Bowie’s iconic song “Heroes” is one of my favorite scenes ever. It does really make you feel “infinite”.

The lessons I learned in this movie is the reason why I love it so much. In fact I forgive all its flaws (if there’s any) because of how deeply affecting it is. Of course it is not a perfect movie everyone will love, but to me, relating to the character and feeling his struggle is more than enough to call this one a masterpiece. Sometimes you don’t need all other extra elements that make a great film even better. Films are meant to entertain, and in some ways ponder thought-provoking questions; rare are those however, that makes you suffer in a great way because of how accurate these characters seem to embody you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1129081655780131/k2311a0829/8.29.16