Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • I purchased this charging port to alleviate a charging issue on a Samsung galaxy E5
  • After checking around for prices, I purchased this charging port from Amazon
  • To me the price wasn't too bad because it was only $14 and the shipping was free
  • Removing this adhesive was definitely a burden, and altogether it took me about 20 minutes to remove the screen
  • My only complaint is that it's a time-consuming install, so you shouldn't start it if you don't have the time to finish

by Jules Li

I purchased this charging port to alleviate a charging issue on a Samsung galaxy E5. The issue was that the phone would randomly not charge at times. It was essentially an issue with the port itself because it was fairly loose, and if you pushed the charger in it would charge.
  • Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • After checking around for prices, I purchased this charging port from Amazon.com. To me the price wasn’t too bad because it was only $14 and the shipping was free. I chose to replace the part myself, and in retrospect I would say that it was probably more difficult than I expected. With that being said, I got it installed, so I was pleased with the outcome.

• Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • I mentioned that this was a difficult installation, and for me removing the screen made it the most challenging. I’ve removed the screens on similar Samsung models that have screws, but the Samsung E5 using adhesive instead. Removing this adhesive was definitely a burden, and altogether it took me about 20 minutes to remove the screen. What you have to do is pry the screen away from the phone’s frame. On the downside the adhesive was stuck in place so badly that prying the screen resulted in a slight cracked, which was disappointing. Instead of solely prying the screen, I instead used a heat-gun to loosen the outer edges of the adhesive. FYI, the adhesive is only located on the outer edges of the screen, so you don’t have to apply heat to the screen itself. I would suggest that you don’t apply too much heat because it could damage your screen.

• Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • After melting the adhesive I still had to pry around the entire screen to get it out of place. It was arduous, and time-consuming, but I finally got it removed. FYI, you have to lift the screen from the bottom as shown in this photo. You want to avoid damaging the cable, which is located at the top.

• Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • In this photo I labeled the screen cable that I had to disconnect to remove the screen. After removing it from the frame, I disconnected this and set it to the side. Fortunately this cable wasn’t firm at all. After prying under the top of the cable, it came right up.

• Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • Unfortunately removing the screen did not get me to the charging port. Due to the design of the Samsung E5 I had to remove this middle frame to get access, which was a challenge. FYI, I labeled all the screws here that I had to remove from this frame. There were several of these, and they are on quite firm, so they took some time to remove. I used a Phillips #000 tool to remove these screws. After loosening the screws the have a tendency to remain stuck in the frame, but I used tweezers to assist with the removal.

• Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • To my surprise the screws weren’t the only thing keeping the frame in place. As shown in this photo, I had to pry along the outer edges of the frame to get it to pop off. It was pretty snug in the frame, which made it difficult to remove. I would suggest the you lift the top-end out before removing the bottom-end. The bottom-end was locked in pretty firm, so it’s almost impossible to remove it without taking the top-end out. Removing the frame did result in some slight damage to my outer casing, so you should be diligent during this removal.

• Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • Once I removed the frame, I did get access to the charging port as shown here. I had to remove two screws, and an antenna cable to get it off. All three are labeled in this photo. The screws came right off using a philips #000, but it was a task to get the antenna cable off. It was on a bit firm because there may have been some adhesive underneath it. What you should do here is to pry from the left side because that made the removal quicker.

• Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • Despite removing the screws I had to pry the old charging port as indicated in this photo. I’m pleased to say that this wasn’t as difficult. All I had to do was slightly pry underneath it and it popped right off.

• Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • FYI, this is the cable on the main board that I had to disconnect to remove the old part. Once I got it disconnected I then connected the new part here. It’s a fairly large connection, but on the plus side it wasn’t on firm at all. If you pry under either corner this will come off, without issue.

• Samsung galaxy E5 USB Charging Port Replacement by TheCoolCube
  • Next, I placed the new charging port in place. All I had to do was put it into place on the frame, and put the screws back on as the came off. During the re-installation I didn’t have any kinks, so I just put the parts back on in reverse as they came off. I don’t want to be repetitive about it as the previous photos shows how the parts go back on.

Altogether, I’m pleased with the outcome. The replacement part is awesome and the phone now charges as it should. My only complaint is that it’s a time-consuming install, so you shouldn’t start it if you don’t have the time to finish.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3722081655630431/k2311a0822/8.22.16