Argo (2012 Oscar-Winning Thriller Film)
  • I love the rush feeling of my heartbeat as I see protagonists trying to survive
  • I decided to watch this film because I expected it would be some drama to bore me to sleep, but man I was so wrong
  • However, as I began to become engaged in the beauty of cinema, I managed to grasp a lot more details now than the first time I saw it
  • The CIA was tasked to rescue them before the Iranians find out they are missing
  • Seriously, if you want your heart to race, then this movie will take care of that

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

Ever since watching Alfonso Cuaron’s highly-acclaimed suspense space film “Gravity” in cinemas, I have searched my way into watching more suspense/thriller films. I love the rush feeling of my heartbeat as I see protagonists trying to survive.

Argo was that kind of film. The first time I watched the movie (2 years ago) was something special. It was around 4 AM and I wasn’t able to sleep. I decided to watch this film because I expected it would be some drama to bore me to sleep, but man I was so wrong. I wasn’t able to sleep the entire day.

• Argo (2012 Oscar-Winning Thriller Film)
  • I watched it again yesterday to see if the tension still holds up the second time around and I’m glad it’s still there. Back then I was not really into filmmaking so the plot was all that I really cared about. However, as I began to become engaged in the beauty of cinema, I managed to grasp a lot more details now than the first time I saw it.

Argo won the Oscar for Best Picture the year it was eligible. It was such a big win for Ben Affleck who directed the film but didn’t get a nomination for Best Director. Truth be told, I didn’t really take him seriously as a director/actor before this movie. This feature made me respect his ability to create a good movie. Now he is one of my favorite actors too.

• Argo (2012 Oscar-Winning Thriller Film)
  • This film was inspired by a true story. Set in 1980 when American hostages were held off in Iran while 6 people escaped and hid in the house of a Canadian ambassador. The CIA was tasked to rescue them before the Iranians find out they are missing.

A lot complained/will complain that it was historically inaccurate but they should realize this was Hollywood filmmaking. A lot will probably think that the hugely popular Titanic film was a true story when the truth was the writers changed/added information that weren’t really there. Same goes for this. If you just focus on this as one piece of cinema, then perhaps you will surely enjoy the heart-pumping adrenaline rush this film will give you.

• Argo (2012 Oscar-Winning Thriller Film)
  • Ben Affleck’s one-sad face was entirely present here. There was no other emotion that he portrayed but a sad face and it bugged me a lot how he can’t show other emotions, this guy just can’t be seen happy. However, he did acted good here. In fact his subtleties were the reason why his character didn’t have problems of character development.

The rest of the cast gave outstanding performances as well. Their physical actions resulted into additional tensions especially when they were out with the Iranians. I can see that they were really afraid to be there.

• Argo (2012 Oscar-Winning Thriller Film)
  • This film managed to become claustrophobic in a wider sense. There were times when I thought they were going to be captured and there were no other way around and it would make my heart pound. It didn’t hold back in giving you heart palpitations and that’s what I love about it. Apparently you can’t do anything by half so might as well surprise your audience.

It had a nice plot as well. Sometimes the most absurd ideas are what’s going to cost us success. In this case, Argo was a film script that they used as a cover for the operation. It was supposed to be a sci-fi movie with middle eastern vibe with which Ben Affleck’s character was supposed to scout locations in Iran for the movie. Of course the CIA thought it was a bad idea, but in a sea of bad ideas, you have to choose the best bad one, and Ben Affleck convinced them that this was the best bad idea they had.

• Argo (2012 Oscar-Winning Thriller Film)
  • In a filmmaker’s perspective, this movie was greatly shot. In fact it was only in the second time around that I noticed this had a lot of long takes. As a fan of long takes, I appreciate the Alfonso Cuaron-influence in this film. It’s a way of filmmaking that is very complex yet could be very effective and outstanding if done well. I usually hate too much camera movements but surprisingly, it worked in this film in a way that wasn’t distracting. Some action films failed so much in that department because there are too much camera movements without actual tension in the movie.

In conclusion, I definitely feel that Argo is not for the faint-hearted. It’s a movie that is full of tension from the middle to end. It does so without holding back, giving everything all at once until it’s over. If you could ignore the historical inaccuracies and focus on the film as a film alone, then perhaps you’ll be one like me who was able to appreciate all the details of great filmmaking this movie had. Seriously, if you want your heart to race, then this movie will take care of that!

Andrew Leaither says :

I think I will love this movie and that you mentioned in review that it’s not for the faint hearted. Sounds like a great and interesting movie and nice to know that It’s a Oscar-Winning Thriller film. I can’t wait to see this and your pictures are really good choice in matching what you were saying.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

I can’t wait for you to watch it. I’m pretty sure you’ll be thrilled with this film :) Happy viewing.

Jeff says :

Argo is a film that really grabbed my attention in terms of reality and life. I really felt sorry for these people, the tension and suspense. I would recommend this film to anyone who wants tension and suspense in a film. Ben Affleck really pulled it off and I admire his bravery. What he did was so noble. It’s good to know that this film had a good ending.

Andrew Leith says :

It grabs your attention, that’s or sure. It’s filled with tension and the movie won Academy Award for Best Picture. I would recommend this movie to anyone and the director (Ben Afleck) knows how to make great movies, and keep the plot/s interesting. He has dynamics to his movie and review was helpful, spot-on precise and direct.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117081655590231/k2311a0817/8.17.16