Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014 Biblical Epic Film)  » Movies  »
  • However, I was deeply engaged with the subject matter that I forced myself to spend 2 hours and 30 minutes in front of my screen just to witness this magnificent event of the past
  • I wasn't disappointed, nor I was satisfied
  • I really felt that there was no need to cast all white men to portray the main leads simply because it was very misleading
  • As for my part, it wasn't entirely boring because I had just read the book and I was very familiar with the incidents that happened
  • That is not to say the film is completely bad

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

I read a novelization of the popular biblical tale of the Exodus last week. I was deeply astonished at how EPIC it was. Years prior, there was a Ridley Scott film that tackled the same subject for which I ignored because of the small ratings it got from critics.

However, I was deeply engaged with the subject matter that I forced myself to spend 2 hours and 30 minutes in front of my screen just to witness this magnificent event of the past. I wasn’t disappointed, nor I was satisfied.

• Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014 Biblical Epic Film)
  • If you are a Christian or at least someone who worship/follow the Bible, you would at least be familiar of the Exodus. It’s the 2nd book of the Old Testament which focused mainly on Moses working his way to set free the slaved Hebrews from the abusive Egyptians.

In a plot standpoint, the film really had a lot to work upon. There were some notable changes from the book but I’m glad that they followed most of the events closely from its source. One the biggest drawbacks from this movie was the choices of its cast. I really felt that there was no need to cast all white men to portray the main leads simply because it was very misleading.

• Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014 Biblical Epic Film)
  • Christian Bale as the famed Moses was the only one who gave a remarkable contribution as an actor despite having no emotional motivation to save the Hebrews. I couldn’t see the point inside him that he cared for those people. Most of the characters suffered the lack of development which resulted from very poor writing. The writing felt empty and the pacing was very poor. After 15 minutes or so the tension hit an all time low that it didn’t grab my attention anymore. There were no memorable lines from everybody and I forgot most of their characters at the end of the movie. It seemed like this film was entirely about Moses when it should have also been about the Hebrews and their struggle in the foreign land. Scott dramatized it to the point that it drags on and on.

• Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014 Biblical Epic Film)
  • The world-building and the visuals of ancient Egypt were really great though. However, even if it was absolutely EPIC in its visual scale, the macrocosm in its characters were the absolute opposite that it weighs down the overall film. It was like looking at a big picture with absolutely nothing on it.

As for my part, it wasn’t entirely boring because I had just read the book and I was very familiar with the incidents that happened. It kept me guessing what would happen next. But I fear the film tried to be very expository when it didn’t need to be. Audiences who are not familiar with the book will probably be bored because it just kept dragging on and on.

• Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014 Biblical Epic Film)
  • The film being completely devoid of an ultimate power was my biggest complain. Who are they trying to sell this film? At its core the biggest fanbase that would have rushed to the cinemas on its opening day should have been Christians but this movie made sure they won’t like it. When I watched this movie it was different than when I read it. Scott tried it to be more grounded on realism and science when it shouldn’t be. It’s a beloved biblical tale so why change it to a point that it lost its main essence?

• Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014 Biblical Epic Film)
  • Cinematography-wise it was greatly shot. However, as I said the frames were rather empty in emotions.

The sound editing, mixing and score were less remarkable however, compared to Scott’s more acclaimed work in Gladiator.

The production design and costume design were topnotch. Egyptian cities were definitely in their former glories and this film captured that perfectly.

That is not to say the film is completely bad. There are good redeemable aspects of it that completely made it impossible to become a disaster. Exodus was truly a remarkable event in the Bible, it was EPIC in scale, it showed Moses’ connection with the Hebrews and the need to save them, and of course God was with them. In this movie however, the production was EPIC but the story was rather EMPTY.

Andrew Leaither says :

“When men ruled as gods. One was chosen.” This was at the beginning of the movie trailer and thought it was great. The music played nicely and it also feel as it’s like a historical movie and also got great, intriguing characters.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1112081655550731/k2311a0812/8.12.16