Mad Max: Fury Road (2015 Film)  » Movies  »
  • Simply because it was the time when I took filmmaking by heart
  • Fury Road was already released and it managed to remain as arguably and technically the best movie released last year
  • Why it was not my favorite 2015 movie lies on its plot
  • But even if a plot was nonexistent, people will surely be thrilled by the amount of work put into its production design, visual effects, set pieces, make-up and everything else in the technical and crafts department
  • But some of us who think its great will not care

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

2015 was a historic year for me. Simply because it was the time when I took filmmaking by heart. So many good movies were released last year, so many that I was spoiled by the scarcity of quality films this year.

Last year at this exact point, Mad Max: Fury Road was already released and it managed to remain as arguably and technically the best movie released last year.

• Mad Max: Fury Road (2015 Film)
  • Personally though, I put this George Miller-directed feature in my top 3 last year below the very intellectual and deeply affecting Pixar animated film “Inside Out” and the largely engrossing, claustrophobic “Room”.

Why it was not my favorite 2015 movie lies on its plot. I simply understood everyone’s complain about it not having a “plot” at all but the truth is that, its premise was very simple. To me it was mostly an escort mission to get some characters to their target destination - which sounds like a complete video game story tied with a lot of crazies trying to stop them in the middle of post-apocalyptic desert. But even if a plot was nonexistent, people will surely be thrilled by the amount of work put into its production design, visual effects, set pieces, make-up and everything else in the technical and crafts department.

• Mad Max: Fury Road (2015 Film)
  • Acting wise I really think I have never loved a single Tom Hardy film other than this. It’s a personal bias that I don’t really understand his normal accent at all (which he has been using in most of his films, it’s gibberish) but speaking scarcely in this movie actually made me appreciate his “physical” performance more. Tom Hardy might be the film’s Mad Max but he was not necessarily the real hero.

Furiosa is. Charlize Theron’s performance as an Imperator who gone rogue was absolutely badass - in any sense that word is applicable. She was ANGRY and MAD and this should have been her movie. I absolutely love how she nailed her character. Sad to say she was snubbed of a Best Actress nomination at the Oscars last year.

• Mad Max: Fury Road (2015 Film)
  • There was another interesting character in the movie played by Nicholas Hoult. He was supposed to be part of the villain community but after failing to impress his master, he was so disappointed that he began to redeem himself. What I like about him was the real humanistic approach to his character when he was at his lowest. I would think for a character like him being human would never be possible.

There are lots of villains in this movie. What I like most about them was the fact that they don’t really hold back. They gave the protagonists their moments of fear and hopelessness - and so gave the audiences huge reasons to root for Mad Max and company.

• Mad Max: Fury Road (2015 Film)
  • I also loved the fact that there were points when the movie didn’t take itself seriously (such as the villain’s guitarist trying to add humor) - but as a whole I saw it as a serious film. There were powerful themes portrayed subtly but mostly religious ones. In fact the more that I think about it, it’s Miller’s love letter to extremist religious groups.

For most of us though, this movie could be widely seen as an endless action spectacle with high-budgeted practical effects. That would be enough for many of us to call it a great film. The action here was totally crazy. In fact I haven’t seen a movie so loaded with thrilling action sets that kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

• Mad Max: Fury Road (2015 Film)
  • But for film buffs like me, there were so many things going around this film which made it a remarkable landmark of filmmaking. Technically speaking, this movie was crafted to the highest level of perfection. The general use of practical effects instead of CGI gave it a more realistic look that really wowed me. It also excelled well in its cinematography which provided a lot of noteworthy shots and an incredible camerawork. The production design and the art direction were so well-thought contributing largely to its excellence. The editing was seamless and the use of sound was executed perfectly. Honestly, I couldn’t ask for a more perfect technical film than this.

Mad Max: Fury Road might not be for everyone to enjoy. Others will mostly see it as a hideous attempt at making something stylish instead of substance. Some will basically say it’s as empty as the desert in its wasteland. But some of us who think its great will not care. Because for us, this film is filled with humongous amount of efforts from very talented people who put out a film as powerful as it could be. It will be another lovely day with this movie!

Andrew Leaither says :

“It is by my hand you will rise above the ashes.” I loved the trailer and the power I felt in it from the movie and characters. It’s a movie I have yet to see and I know that I feel excitement and drawn to a movie I will watch and know I will enjoy

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

You should see it. It’s a must-watch, in my opinion it really is one of the most accomplished film released this decade so far.

Bart says :

re : Fury Road was already released and it managed to remain as arguably and technically the best movie released last year
Amazing movie. Almost 2 hours of action. If you want to see an action movie this is the one.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

Couldn’t agree more with what you said. I can still remember everyone telling me this is all action and no story but I disagree. It’s got a very nice balance of both.

Andrew Leith says :

It’s not just the action that’s important but the scenery and tension. The movie director (George Miller) knows how to make the right impact and action scenes. And Tom Hardy as (Max Rockatanksy) play the part exceptionally well, as I believe nobody could have done a better job.

Valky says :

Is this an action film? the pictures in review, except one of them, are static and not energetic, one look it feel like a slice f life or romance movie.

Olga says :

“Mad Max: Fury Road” is a post-apocalyptic action film. You should watch it. The pictures anyway don’t show the full craziness and power of this movie.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 118081655530431/k2311a088/8.8.16