Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015 Animated Superhero Movie)
2.0
  • Despite all the bad reviews, I decided to try Justice League
  • I thought it did him justice in some ways in the sense that I can take him slightly more seriously now, and not think of him only as that mediocre superhero who can talk to fish

by Redtape

I grew up reading DC Comics sometimes, and also watching animated series that revolved around popular DC Comic characters such as Superman and Batman and the Justice League. Now that I’m an adult I still watch some of their animated movies on occasion, especially when I’m feeling in the mood and when I have the time.

Despite all the bad reviews, I decided to try Justice League: Throne of Atlantis, because I wanted to make my own judgement of it. After watching it though, it turns out that I agreed with most of the reviewers. The movie wasn’t that great at all.

• Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015 Animated Superhero Movie)
  • In the movie a submarine belonging to the United States military is attacked by mysterious humanlike creatures of superhuman strength and speed. The Justice League is called in to investigate, but because the team is still somewhat divided, only Cyborg follows up. However, after he finds the wreckage of the submarine and barely escapes an attack from the same mysterious creatures, he contacts the rest of the Justice League.

During their investigation, the team discovers that the previously thought mythical city of Atlantis is actually real and is now located in the depths of the ocean. However, they soon figure out that they might need to unite to protect the world from another attack after Atlantis’ Prince Orm overthrows his mother Queen Atlanna in a coup, and leads an attack to kill all human beings and his half-brother, Arthur.

• Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015 Animated Superhero Movie)
  • To cut a long story short, the movie is basically about Aquaman’s story. I thought it did him justice in some ways in the sense that I can take him slightly more seriously now, and not think of him only as that mediocre superhero who can talk to fish. He actually has a decent-ish backstory, and pretty cool powers such as super strength, and the ability to wield a powerful magical trident that reminds me a little too much of Mjolnir.

However, at the end of the day the story has only potential. It was corny and depressingly predictable, and even the antagonist seemed like a rip off. I could tell you how it was going to end twenty minutes into the movie, and that’s never a good things. Plus we’re still talking about Aquaman here, and there were times when I felt like the writers were struggling to make him relevant.

• Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015 Animated Superhero Movie)
  • The major villain in “Justice League: Throne of Atlantis” is Arthur’s half-brother Prince Orm. The reason why I thought of him as a rip-off was because I thought that he and the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Loki were way too much alike in more ways than one.

Yes, unlike Prince Orm, Prince Loki did not commit matricide in any of the movies. On the other hand they both not only look slightly similar, but Prince Orm also used a line “mewled for peace” that reminded me too much of the “mewling quim” line that Loki used in The Avengers movie.

• Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015 Animated Superhero Movie)
  • Justice League: Throne of Atlantis had some good lines. However, it also had quite a bit of cheesy and cliche dialogue, that made me shudder sometimes. For example, there was one part in the end where Cyborg and his love interest finally make the decision to go out to dinner together, and Shazam shouts “Victory! Victory! Victory!” in response. Not only was it annoying, but I just did not find the response realistic at all.

• Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015 Animated Superhero Movie)
  • I guess the artwork wasn’t too bad though. It might not have been as impressive as some I’ve seen, but it was good nonetheless. For example, I loved the way that Aquaman was depicted. However, I thought that they could have spent a little more time on making him and the other superheros look a bit more impressive.

I also loved the way that Atlantis’ Queen Atlanna was depicted. I thought she looked like she must have been very beautiful and ethereal. However, I thought it would have been better had she looked fierce as well, especially when Arthur saw her in the water when he was a child.

If you love watching DC animated movies, then you might not necessarily be interested in Justice League: Throne of Atlantis. It’s cheesy and predictable, but at the end of the day the plus is that you get to hear Aquaman’s story.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1118071655250631/k2311a0718/7.18.16