Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition (2016 Film)
  • One thing I won't deny though, I have enjoyed all the performances in this film, may it be the theatrical or ultimate
  • So far, he was my favorite Batman ever with Christian Bale not being far enough
  • The problem with Christian Bale's version of Batman was that, it played safe and innocent
  • I might be more blinded by Gal Gadot's beauty to actually pay attention to whether she's acting bad or not, but to be honest, every time she was on camera she's very interesting to watch
  • And I am really proud to say it now, I love Batman v Superman even if you probably don't

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

I have seen the theatrical cut of Batman v Superman when it premiered last March but I walked away at the cinema with the feeling of incompleteness. I literally followed the production of the film since it was announced and I was hoping it would have paid off, but alas, it didn’t.

Perhaps it was because I really expected a lot from it, I was hoping it would deliver greatness like what Nolan did with The Dark Knight but nope, what I saw instead was a completely messy film. So I didn’t wrote a review about it, instead I waited until the Ultimate Edition was out to reveal final judgement.

• Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition (2016 Film)
  • Batman v Superman marked the first team-up of the world’s most recognizable superheroes, Batman and Superman, and also an inclusion of Wonder Woman as they began to assemble the Justice League. The film’s main villain was Lex Luthor, a psychopath who became obsessed with getting rid of people with superpowers.

It was a continuation of Man of Steel, and was the second film off DC’s Extended Universe as they try to compete with the ever-successful Marvel. However, critic-wise, they’re not catching up with the latter. Batman v Superman, the theatrical cut was a letdown, but everything changed after I saw the ultimate edition which added 30 important minutes.

• Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition (2016 Film)
  • One thing I won’t deny though, I have enjoyed all the performances in this film, may it be the theatrical or ultimate. Ben Affleck was in fact the real highlight of the film, he was literally being Batman. Gritty, angry at bad people, and not afraid to kill for justice. So far, he was my favorite Batman ever with Christian Bale not being far enough. The problem with Christian Bale’s version of Batman was that, it played safe and innocent. This time, the Bat didn’t and that’s how it should be.

I might be more blinded by Gal Gadot’s beauty to actually pay attention to whether she’s acting bad or not, but to be honest, every time she was on camera she’s very interesting to watch. All my attention literally went to her everytime.

The more underwhelming but you really can’t do anything about it performance goes to Henry Cavill, who played Superman. His performance was good but nothing to really rave about, except of course, his almost Godly body.

• Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition (2016 Film)
  • I was also expecting more of Amy Adams (played Lois Lane) considering she’s really one of the great artists out there, but I was a little dismayed after the theatrical cut. But do not be fooled, she was really good in the Ultimate Cut. She has more screentime and she had enough to pull off her acting capabilities. Funny how some added scenes would make me love an artist more, but I did.

Jesse Eisenberg’s performance was the one that surprised me the most. I don’t if it was in a good way or not but he’s playing more Joker than Lex Luthor. He was very psychotic and insane but he pulled it off if that was what he meant to portray. Overall, I do think he gave an outstanding performance in the film.

• Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition (2016 Film)
  • My main problem with the version released in theaters was that the pacing was really bad, the editing was messy, the color palette was too dark (especially too dark in a very disturbing way in 3D) and a lot of random scenes being added in the middle of something. The whole version never makes sense, I never grasped why Superman couldn’t see the bomb, I never understood why Batman was so angry at Supes, and I never knew Lex planned everything by his chances. The Ultimate Cut gave more emphasis to everything. It became clear that this film wasn’t all about the big battle at the end but rather a complex look of humanity at large. And that’s what I really loved about it now, I can see where Nolan influenced this film - and even though there are still minor editing and pacing problems with the extended edition, the whole film still feels complete and great.

• Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition (2016 Film)
  • The cinematography still looks really dark and bland, it needed more brightness. It seemed like the film was completely set in a gloomy place even if it was morning.

The score however, composed by one of my favorite composers of all time, Hans Zimmer was perfectly brilliant and astounding. There are a lot of emotional undertones and Luthor’s theme is basically creepy and insane! Zimmer nails it as always.

The visual effects looked good for a movie like this but I don’t really like too much CGI because it looks too fake so I didn’t really enjoy it as much as Nolan’s The Dark Knight trilogy which featured more practical effects instead of CGI.

To conclude, I don’t like the Batman v Superman that was released in theaters last March but I totally love the extended version we got this month. In a nutshell, it’s almost impossible to change people’s perception in a film they don’t like by adding 30 minutes into it, but I really did.

Instead of seeing a film that was almost too pointless, I managed to see something that was more close to humanity as it could be. This is the kind of superhero films that I like, one that offers mature themes and not the formulaic feel-good ones offered by the other. And I am really proud to say it now, I love Batman v Superman even if you probably don’t.

Danielle says :

I know that many of the critics thought this movie was terrible, I honestly thought that it was pretty good. Given, I did not read the comics, but I don’ think that makes a huge impact. The thing that I liked was that it did not look super fake. There are a lot of movies out there where the action just doesn’t look good, but this wasn’t the case with this movie. I honestly think they did a good job with it. All the actors and actress did a great job too. I think that they picked the perfect case for the movie.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

You were right about “many of the critics thought this movie was terrible”. I also felt it was a pretty good film especially the Ultimate Edition. I am really happy you liked the film as well. Hopefully it’ll get a cult following in the future.

Elizabeth says :

I recently just bought this movie, and was very excited to see a movie about two marvel characters fighting against each other. I was surprised that there wasn’t much fighting between the two characters. They bonded together to defeat a much bigger threat. Which was quite entertaining. The movies started off good, but dragged on for a little while. I found myself getting bored until the ending where all the action was. Bringing in Wonder Women was a great idea, and made the movie more interesting. All in all the movie was ok, the plot was good, and the action scenes were good. The length of the movie was insane, but the action scenes at the end made it worth watching.

accomccino says :

Hi Replying here because I noticed you said two Marvel characters. This movie is DC and yeah it’s awesome either way. Just informing you that Marvel are The Avengers like Iron Man and Captain America. You might have gotten them mixed up, and I don’t blame you :)

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

At first I thought you might have watched Captain America: Civil War because you said two Marvel characters fighting each other lol. Perhaps the general people don’t really care whether it’s Marvel or DC as long as it is a superhero film, and that the notion of competition among these brands’ fanbases should be put to an end. I’m glad you enjoyed the film.

Rishabh says :

FIGHT OF THE CENTURY.
the idea of the movie was successful in attracting the audience worldwide. the script seemed legit building up the suspence.
yet the movie felt a little slow before the interval, but they managed to wipe out that thought with an unexpected ending.

Andrew Leith says :

I loved the movie Batman v Superman and agree, “Fight Of The Century” attracted audiences world wide and the script was strongly accepted and established. However, there are some critics who said “that overdeveloping a coherent story with layered characters.” But still, a great heavy action suspense movie.

Chantelle Jaipargas says :

Visual effects was what showed that DC is here and they have an edge that is tailored to both the darkness and the hopefulness in all people that can relate to the changes of world standards changing. It was a relative nod to the modern day but still keeping it very comic book inspired capturing each frame in a detail that meant something.

Donovan says :

re : I might be more blinded by Gal Gadot’s beauty to actually pay attention to whether she’s acting bad or not, but to be honest, every time she was on camera she’s very interesting to watch
I think Superman died honourably but I also think he shouldn’t of died in the first place. I know its a movie but I hate when someone promises something(like marriage or something important) and then they end up dying and never do it.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

He will come back alive in the next film, Justice League which will be released next year. I actually thought his death was pretty tragic and sad.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1114071655220631/k2311a0714/7.14.16