The 5th Wave (2016 Science Fiction Thriller Movie)  » Movies  »
2.0
  • One of these tragic flaws is that The Fifth Wave begins like the generic teen flick, which I believe was a depressingly lazy and unimaginative attempt to appeal to teen audiences
  • The movie overall was terrible, but I thought that she did her character poor justice as well
  • I would not recommend the movie The Fifth Wave to people who like Young Adult or Science Fiction movies because I think it's mediocre and uninteresting

by Redtape

I spent a long time wondering what happened to the actor Tobey Maguire since I didn’t see him in any movies or TV series in a long time. Therefore, when I heard that he was producing a movie The 5th Wave I was eager to see it. I became even more eager to know what it would be about when I learnt that the movie would be in the science fiction genre.

Watching it however was a totally different matter. The movie was so bad that I had to struggle to finish it.

• The 5th Wave (2016 Science Fiction Thriller Movie)
  • The movie The 5th Wave is a science fiction thriller movie based on a book of the same name by author Rick Yancey. The movie was released in 2016.

Actress Chloe Grace Moretz plays the main character teen Cassie Sullivan who is struggling to survive and find her brother in a post-apocalyptic world that has been taken over by aliens.

The movie gets its name because the extraterrestrial invasion takes place in several “waves” or stages. The first wave is a electromagnetic pulse that disables all electronic devices. The second wave is giant tsunamis used to eliminate the populations on each coast. The third wave is an avian virus that kills a large amount of the remaining populations. The fourth wave is when the invaders appear on earth. The movie is called “The Fifth Wave” because it is supposed to be the final wave that will destroy all remaining human life by using children to carry out the attacks.

• The 5th Wave (2016 Science Fiction Thriller Movie)
  • I thought that storyline of the movie The Fifth Wave had an amazing amount of potential, to the point where it could have become a goldmine and possibly even a classic. However there were so many flaws from all ends that completely destroyed whatever chances it might have had to be a good movie.

One of these tragic flaws is that The Fifth Wave begins like the generic teen flick, which I believe was a depressingly lazy and unimaginative attempt to appeal to teen audiences. However no one likes a terrible cliche, and so not only did it cheapen the movie but it was almost an immediate turn off.

• The 5th Wave (2016 Science Fiction Thriller Movie)
  • The script of the movie also helped to ruin it, because it was so awkward and cringeworthy I was literally in disbelief that it was so bad. There was a lot of dialogue that just didn’t follow the situation that the characters were supposed to be in or was very cliched.

For example, there was the scene in the beginning of the movie where Cassie’s friend encourages her to talk to her crush and I couldn’t help wincing at how artificial the whole exchange was.

• The 5th Wave (2016 Science Fiction Thriller Movie)
  • Talking about “artificial” there is little to no chemistry among most of the actors. This includes Chloe Grace Mortez and her character’s supposed romantic interest Evan who is played by English actor Alex Roe.

As a matter of fact, there is one particular scene where they are in the woods and having a heart to heart and even though its supposed to be a romantic scene, everything feels fake. The awkward dialogue doesn’t help things at all.

• The 5th Wave (2016 Science Fiction Thriller Movie)
  • The acting from the actress Chloe Grace Mortez is painful as usual. The movie overall was terrible, but I thought that she did her character poor justice as well. I understand that working with the script was a challenge and more than likely the director as well, but she brought no extra dimensions to her character and did not make her especially likeable. After this movie I completely lost faith in her even though I liked her so much in Kickass.

I would not recommend the movie The Fifth Wave to people who like Young Adult or Science Fiction movies because I think it’s mediocre and uninteresting.

Andrew Leither says :

I have seen the movie trailer The 5th Wave and it was excellent with great action. I most certainly want to see this movie and purchase the DVD before the end of the year. You done a lovely review and I agree with how you viewed the movie from your opinion and knowledge of the film.

Riza Joyce Barredo says :

Its just like the movie The Impossible, 2012, Tidal Wave hoping there’s a difference this movie to the three

Andrew Leith says :

It was a lot like the impossible, 2012, with tidal waves, but it was also its own unique and special story.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 115071654970231/k2311a075/7.5.16